Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:58 AM       
Final Fantasy 5!

I've played this before (although not very far, about to the desert) but I never realized just how badly you could break the game if you picked the right classes. I never thought to touch Monk because Blackbelts were awful in FF1, but here they hit twice for decent damage (200 total on a good day), get a freebie counter attack about half the time when something hits them, and have a move called Buildup that doubles their damage pretty much for free; the attacks you get from this can crit on top of that, and Monks crit a lot, so by the time I got to the third boss I accidentally one-shot it with a 192/400 damage attack. I think it had like 575 health.

This is not mentioning how you can level your mage classes up further than they'll need to be for like 5 hours in the very first dungeon, then turn them into paladins or thiefwizards or whatever. And Blue Magic is, as always, a freight train with a cowcatcher made out of chainsaws.

I don't know why, but I always get immense satisfaction from breaking JRPGs like this. I think it's the main reason I liked FF8.
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 04:35 PM       
Max Payne 3

This is the only shooter you will ever need. Amazing level design, perfect controls, gory and oh so satisfying shooting the fuck out of people, plot involving heavy drinking and people getting the fuck shot out of them, tits and an awesome soundtrack.

There are some nitpicky shit I could mention, but i'm not going to. Could be the game of the year for me, unless the forthcoming XCOM remake (or re-imagining wtf) is everything it's supposed to be.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 04:53 PM       
my blackbelts were awesome in ff1 and almost always did the most dmg on my team

double and triple hitting ?
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 09:00 AM       
Finished Dragons Dogam, on to NewGame+ with all my stuff and a lot of slow walking and taking in of the sights

I almost want to buy the game again for the PS3
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 02:45 PM       

Jake has a hurricane DDT move
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 03:45 PM       
Did you see the Castlevania: LOD 2 trailer? Preeeetty bitchin'.

That was very funny. Well done.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 03:58 PM       
I'm pumped as shit about that too. I almost hope you still play as gabriel....possibly alucard though(guy in white at the end of the trailer)
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 04:04 PM       
YES, I KNOW WHO ALUCARD IS, THANK YOU.

LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 05:38 PM       
God damn it. Now i HAVE to finish the first one.
The Wolf
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 06:43 PM       
It's worth it for the last couple levels and ending, braw.

I hate this hacker crap!
MarioRPG is probably a real personMarioRPG is probably a real person
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 07:08 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Woman View Post
Final Fantasy 5!
I always love hearing peoples experience of playing this one, I love it. It might be among the first that I played through to the final boss. And I wasn't smart enough to use the X-Fight for crazy damage or whatever. Also defeating the Crystal Dragon was very gratifying.

e: I hadn't seen anything of RE6 until that and it looks wild. Very different, but I'd get that no question.
e2: Been playing Psychonauts because of the Humble Bundle. And Limbo!

LOVE, YOUR FIJIAN HOST DAD
SKATASTIC
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 03:27 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
YES, I KNOW WHO ALUCARD IS, THANK YOU.
I'M NOT SURE IF THAT ACTUALLY IS ALUCARD OR NOT. WISHFUL THINKING
The Wolf
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 10:01 PM       
PS HE'S NOT A GUY IN WHITE HE HAS WHITE HAIR

zerothree is probably a spambot
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 10:22 PM       
I didn't really care for Lords of Shadow, so I'll pass on the sequel, but I sort of want to check out the 3DS Castlevania. As far as I can tell it's totally just Castlevania 3 but plays like yet another Devil May Cry/God of War clone... that's a sidescroller.

I"m pretty much sold on any sidescroller that comes out now. Thankfully "retro" and indie games have brought back a lot of the old staples from the 8 and 16 bit days and made them original and innovative again. I'd love to see a new console sidescroller come out with a huge budget just to see what can be still done.

Oh, by the way, it's totally Alucard.

Last edited by zerothree : Jun 7th, 2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Forgot something
SKATASTIC
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 11:10 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
PS HE'S NOT A GUY IN WHITE HE HAS WHITE HAIR
What i meant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerothree View Post
I didn't really care for Lords of Shadow, so I'll pass on the sequel, but I sort of want to check out the 3DS Castlevania. As far as I can tell it's totally just Castlevania 3 but plays like yet another Devil May Cry/God of War clone... that's a sidescroller.

I"m pretty much sold on any sidescroller that comes out now. Thankfully "retro" and indie games have brought back a lot of the old staples from the 8 and 16 bit days and made them original and innovative again. I'd love to see a new console sidescroller come out with a huge budget just to see what can be still done.

Oh, by the way, it's totally Alucard.
This makes me want to get a 3ds real fucking bad.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 04:04 AM       
6 games of this shit

Then, as soon as TEAM exists,

I am formaldehyde and Pink Gabriel, respectively.

Every game is a landslide - there are no close games. Stupid.
has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 01:26 AM       
I've been playing lots of Gravity Rush. That game is just charming as fuck, and the gravity mechanic is really cool. The combat is pretty unpolished though, and they should have added more collectibles and moves. Everything else is fantastic though. I really adore Sony's JapanStudio.

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 04:19 AM       
oh god I finally FUCKING FINALLY won a Third Strike match

jesus CHRIST
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 06:43 AM       
Hours and hours of Rune Factory Oceans, I fucking love Harvest Moon and RF.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 08:23 AM       
Lost four games of DOTA in a row.

People are fucking retarded early in the morning.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 02:54 PM       
you are starting to sound like kahl when he looses a match of LoL
i've been getting my matches in Ultimate marvel and street fighter X tekken i also played dragons dogma and got till the cockatrice and then i had to return it to the video store

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 04:26 PM       
Day Z Mod for ArmA II. Shit is tight.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 07:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvare View Post
you are starting to sound like kahl when he looses a match of LoL
Because every time you lose, it's an hour of your life that has disappeared into the ether.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 11:46 AM       
Well, it does the same thing when you win.

Also, Final Fantasy 13 plays like Chrono Trigger for retards. I kind of like it.

The story is sorta interesting but very badly written; about one in three cutscenes makes me facepalm at some point, and reading the Datalog is absolutely required to comprehend what's happening. fal'cie? l'cie? Sanctum? Pulse? What the fuck am I listening to and why are there so many apostrophes?

Edot:
This game seems to be so badly written that it loops around to become interesting again if you take a step back and consider how fucked up all the characters are really acting; I'm enjoying the game better by assuming that most of them are mentally ill to varying degrees (or in Snow's case just retarded fucking assholes who date high-school girls).

People keep saying that Lightning is just femme-Cloud but she's really more like Solid Snake, a hot-shit adrenaline junkie soldier who is generally incapable of functioning without being in battle all the time, both because she needs the rush and because it's all she knows. Right after she decides to just assault Sanctum headquarters, the loading screen's recap says something along the lines of "With no clues to follow and time running out, she's made Eden her target. Having a target is simple; having a target is something she understands." Which, to me, implies that she doesn't know how to deal with problems in ways other than killing them. I really liked that moment when she decides, "fuck it, fuck Cocoon, fuck the fal'Cie, fuck my Focus, and fuck the l'Cie rules; I'm just going to go up there and wreck the shit of every motherfucker who's crossed me." She's essentially doomed no matter what, possibly to a fate worse than death, but also happens to be a walking magical nuke, so she uses that to lash out in anger at whatever's there. It's something I personally would want to do in that situation, it felt like a very human reaction.

I'm finding her general behavior more and more distraughtening as time goes on, especially the way she doesn't attempt to discourage Hope from going after Snow for revenge; she knows full well that the main reason he's following her is to get strong enough to kill him, and she doesn't care - she gives him what he wants. The way that she doesn't seem to see anything bad about that means there's something wrong with her. Hope is 14 years old. He's a confused, pissed-off teenager with selfish, reckless, horrible, and above all completely misinformed motives, and encouraging and training him to murder someone (her brother-in-law, no less) is not good guardian behavior; something like that has a high probability of completely ruining his life and/or driving him crazy. You can already see it starting in a bit after Light begins bonding with him, and Hope develops this creepy, creepy fixation on a memento jackknife she gives to him. He pulls it out and bares the blade whenever he's having a hard time dealing with something (which happens in every cutscene), and then he just stares at it while he talks; it's some fucking serial killer shit. Lightning seems at least partially creeped out every time he does it, but she's not stopping him or going "dude, you're acting fucking creepy. not cool" and taking the knife away, she's enabling him to be a crazy fuck. I guess she figures that since they're either going to die within the week (or more likely before the day is over), get encased in crystal for eternity or turn into zombies, Hope's future mental health doesn't matter, as long as he's an effective sidekick until everything is over. From where I'm standing, Lightning and Hope have an incredibly sick and mutually selfish relationship, even with the warm and fuzzy bonding scenes; they've been using each other since they teamed up, and they're exacerbating each other's shit big time. I don't know if the game intended for me to think this or if it's going to follow it up, but I really hope that's the case because it's damned interesting and tragic and I've had a genuine emotional response to it (creeped the fuck out).

Anyway, 10 bucks for this game was a steal, even if the only good parts of the story are there completely on accident. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a new Final Fantasy so much.

Last edited by Guitar Woman : Jun 29th, 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 11:27 PM       
Tried the demo for Spec Ops. Seemed like a perfectly pedestrian cover-based shooter set in the Middle East, yet people are claiming it's a great and unique game. I guess it opens up more in the full game?