Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 11:42 PM        Sign of the Wooooolf...
I've been on a big Black Sabbath, Pentagram and Bang! kick recently. Need moar, looking for similar protometal bands. Any recommendations?
autistic licence
sloth is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 05:37 AM       
I don't know what protometal is or who Bang! are but check out the Southern Lord label. Cavity, Goatsnake and Saint Vitus you'd probably like. If you you like em slower Grief, Toadliquor, Earth and pretty much everything else on their roster. I dunno, Carnivore is God could probably reel off a million of these bands.
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 09:45 PM       
Thank you for your confidence in me sloth! Blue Cheer is always killer and Witchfinder General is awesome (if I do say so myself). They may not be exactly proto-metal but they fall in with that sound (even though I'm sure you know who they are). Iron Man is cool too! Grizz, I'll go through my CDs and get a list of bands in this vein that you might like.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 09:31 AM       
Love Witchfinder General, and I like Goatsnake and Vitus. Now that I think about it, though, I've never actually listened to Blue Cheer... Definitely need to check that out.
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 10:41 AM       
Ok so I have returned!
First of all Phantom. 60s band, nice and creepy. Sounds kind of like The Doors but more focused on occultish stuff. Best song (in my opinion) Spiders Will Dance On Your Face While You Sleep. Quite the title eh?

On MySPace there's a band called Riders of Oblivion, while not originally from that era they sure as hell sound authentic. In fact, John Gallo from Orodruin (excellent doom band) is involved, and anything he does I tend to absolutely love.

Lucifer's Friend might be another good one to try.

I believe you may have interest in Warhorse as well. There's 2 Warhorses, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to tell the difference though!

Alot of people constantly praise Dust as well. You should certainly check them out!

Bloodrock-Concern yourself with the first few albums and all will be dandy.

Really If you haven't bothered with Uriah Heep, get Demons and Wizards or Magicians Birthday. Return to Fantasy is good too but only if you like those other two. Only David Byron is tr00.

The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown gets thrown into this catagory as well, and for good reason. It's very groovy.

There's a 60s band called Art, the only song I have from them is called Supernatural Fairy-Tales and it rocks.

Heavy Jelly. I personally think the name speaks volumes.

There's a band called GAA (there's umlauts over the first A). They're more prog rock from the early 70s but it's still very cool.

Jane falls into this catagory easily but is also very proggy. While Heaven Wept had done a "cover" of one of thier songs on Empires Forlorn (the song was Voice in The Wind).

Karthago is a good one. Kind of a cross between Cheap Trick and Kansas. :D

Hopefully some of those may strike your fancy!
Ancient Mariner
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 03:24 PM       
Man, this is going to keep me busy for a while. Riders of Oblivion is great!...
Haven't found anything on Phantom, though. That's one I have to track down.
Egg
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 03:33 PM       
PM me your email address (preferrably one that can hold alot) and I can send you the Phantom. As far as I know you can't get it on CD and it took me about 5 months of trying to download it on kazaa awhile back.
There's a revival of sorts for this kind of music. Especially for collectors since alot of it is only on vinyl and kind of hard to find.
And another good one, if you dig the Scorpions there was another band from the same time by the name of In Trance and were very similar.