Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker

James sucks
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 04:42 PM        Amazing Spider-Man Casting News
From DarkHorizons:

The Amazing Spider-Man: Superhero Hype reports that some new names have been added to the cast of the "Spider-Man" sequel, including some major surprises. Dylan Baker, last seen in the likes of "Head of State" & "The Tailor of Panama", will play Dr. Curt Connors - best known as the human version of villain 'The Lizard'. That character was often rumoured to be a 'second villain' in the film, guess the rumour may be true. Donna Murphy, last seen seducing Captain Picard in "Star Trek: Insurrection", will play Rosalie Octavius - wife of main villain Otto 'Doc Ock' Octavious (Alfred Molina). Ted Raimi is definitely back, but oddly enough both Willem Dafoe and Cliff Robertson are listed which means there may be cameos or flashbacks. Shots of Tobey Maguire on-set are also now online. Thanks to 'JHBlade', 'Antoine' & 'U2 Cover Band Singalong Groupie'.
Arts & Farts
Krythor is probably a real personKrythor is probably a real person
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 04:59 PM       
So, The Lizard and Doc Ock. I can definitely see The Lizard working on screen, but I get images of Mr. Freeze in "Batman & Robin" and how bad he turned out when I think of Doc Ock. He's a really weird looking character, a small meatball with a dodgy haircut and glasses. I can't see him looking good, but they totally fucked with the Green Goblin and still came up with a good movie.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 05:09 PM       
I wouldn't exactly call that 'amazing.' Both of those actors are nothing special.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 05:12 PM       
Well, I wouldn't imagine Doc Oc will have his little green number. There's already too much of a green motif in Goblin and Lizard. And if you're gonna have Lizard and Oc in the movie together, they'll probably change Oc's color scheme for the movie (and with good reason).

But I'm probably wrong.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 05:50 PM       
I've heard it stated several times that they are NOT doing two villains in this movie despite early rumors to the contrary (the Batman franchise should be a strong case against that horrible idea anyway). Just because Dr. Curt Conners is in the movie doesn't mean THE LIZARD is in it. Hell, Harvey Dent was in the first Batman movie but Two-Face didn't show up until the third (and wasn't played by Billy Dee Williams, dammit!!). And Conners was mentioned in the first Spider-man. They're probably just laying some groundwork for number 3.

Psycho Squid is probably a spambot
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 06:09 PM       
I was gonna say the same thing Protoclown said. After what happen in the Batman movies, it wouldn't be wise to have two or more main villians in a movie. And about Doc Ock's costume, from what I read at superherohype.com, his costume would be a dirty white lab coat with his tentacles coming out of his back similar to Doc Ock's costume from the animated series.
The Unseen is probably a spambot
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 06:12 PM       
Dammit, i wanna see a venom or carnage appearance.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 06:25 PM       
Proto, I wasn't saying that I believed they'd HAVE Lizard in there (or at least as a villain). I was just stating that you have him and Doc Oc in there. I always refer to Conners as Lizard.

Anyway, SSA. I don't figure you one to make jokes, so I imagine you were serious. The movie is called "Amazing Spider-Man."

As for Venom and Carnage, they're a long ways off, if they'll be in the movies at all. I couldn't picture there being a movie working around Spidey's symbiote suit for part, then it going to Eddie for the other. And then if you threw Carnage in there... Christ, it'd be a three-movie story alone.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 06:53 PM       
"(the Batman franchise should be a strong case against that horrible idea anyway). "

batman returns was fucking awesome. with cat woman and the penguin it rocked. the latter 2 films sucked ass though.
The Goddamned Batman
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 08:19 PM       
I agree, I loved "Batman Returns". I think in that movie, it worked. But I think one of the main reasons it DID work is the ambiguity of Catwoman's morality (always somewhere in between hero and villain) and the fact that it was believable that the two characters would work together like they did (and they obviously didn't trust each other anyway, as it turned out).

Two-Face and the Riddler didn't make as much sense together, and in that movie what really hurt the villains was that neither one of them was developed to a satisfying degree.

As for Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy...that was fucking ridiculous. Those two had completely diametrically opposing end goals. Kind of hard for plants to thrive when the world is a fucking icebox, isn't it?

I think that "Batman Returns" pulled it off well, but in the hands of bumbling, inept film makers who wanted to copy the trend it started it spelled doom for the franchise. I know it was technically just Schumacher, but there were talks of another villain team-up in Batman 5, to be directed by someone else who was never exactly determined...and the rumors were saying it would have been Scarecrow and Harlequin...what the fuck??
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 08:55 PM       
Just as they might be setting up the lizard, there's been rumours of cletus kassidy (not carnage) being in it too. That pisses me off though, because if they have carnage before venom....

As for anyone bitching about venom and carnage being in a spider-man movie before some of the older villains, go fuck yourself. They're easily among the top villains in the comic's history because they fucked with him so much. Of course, they'd have to have spider-man find the symbiote first and use it for a while and then the rest happens, so it would be stupid to put it all in one movie.

That was very funny. Well done.
Arts & Farts
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 09:03 PM       
Batman 3 could easily have worked using Scarecrow as the only villain and keeping Tim Burton and Michael Keaton aboard. The Scarecrow is a really gothic character, and I can picture Tim Burton's interpretation of it in my head. It's a damn shame really.

And yeah, I hadn't thought of Connors being in it and not becoming The Lizard until Spidey 3, Jamesman's post referencing The Lizard itself had me confused.

As for Venom and Carnage.... whilst I agree with the fact that on screen they would be the most awesome villains ever recorded on film, I also agree that to set them up, make it satisfying and get real character development, they would need to expand Spiderman 3 into a fucking epic.
The Goddamned Batman
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 09:10 PM       
I don't think we'll be seeing Venom any time soon, and I REALLY don't think we'll be seeing Carnage and Venom together.

While I like Venom, I think there are too many ways it could be fucked up and not look realistic enough on screen. CGI animation has gotten a LOT better in recent years (Spidey swinging on his webs, Gollum, etc) but I just don't know if they could pull it off without putting the same kind of insane dedication into it that Gollum required.

I'd love to see it in the hands of a competent director like Raimi, but I have a feeling that he'll be tired of the franchise by then and will probably not want to do Spider-man 3 (I hope I'm wrong). Also, with Tobey McGuire almost not commiting to the second one because of his bad back, having him appear again in the third one seems like a bit of a longshot (and if he isn't in it, it'll suck. He IS Peter Parker).
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 09:27 PM       
What I think will happen is we'll see another batman thing. First 2 movies have basically the same team and they kick ass, then for the 3rd they lose the original director and star and it goes to shit because they try to do too much too soon.

And I sorta disagree with the thing about batman forever working out with tim burton and micheal keaton still doing it. I don't think tim burton would have put those two together because they're just too different. Two face wasn't anything like he was supposed to be and riddler wasn't really either. So all in all, it was a horrible formula to begin with, but they made it worse.

Arts & Farts
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 10:15 PM       
oh, no, I never said anything about Tim Burton working on "Batman Forever," I said that a third movie could've worked had they put Keaton, Burton and the Scarecrow together.[/list]

FS is probably a spambot
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:55 AM       
I want to see Doc Oc played by Elton John. I mean, really. Look at him in the latest animated Spider-Man series. The glasses, the hair. And in the middle of the film, he could break out into Crocodile Rock, and change glasses every five minutes.
Daphne is probably a spambot
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 09:20 AM       
You think? Doc Oc always reminded me of Roy Orbison.....but he's dead
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 11:39 AM       
Stereotype and I were talking about how Venom and Carnage would be ruined onscreen. Carnage simply WILL NOT be insane enough. You can't put a man that murders his whole family tree into a PG-13 movie and expect him to come out well. Also, the CGI as clown said will not look good enough. Carnage's suit is constantly flowing, so i imagine they'd have a really tough time portraying that realistically. As for Venom, i don't think they'd cast a convincing enough actor to portray him. He has that cunning, yet animal presence to him, and i'll bet they'd try to tone him down a bit, too. I imagine he'd be pretty fucking scary to see in person, so i should hope that if they ever did put him in a movie, he'd be the most terrifying presence out of all the characters.
The Wolf
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 11:50 AM       
They COULD do venom, but I don't think carnage would be a good idea. Like you said, the fact that he's fucking insane wouldn't be shown very well, especially by the fucking dork they cast as him (bubble boy...ugh) and the cgi would be a bitch. Venom though...Venom is very possible but it would take at least 2 movies to tell a good story about the symbiotes and him.

Bah. The thing is, there's a ton of good spider-man stories they could do but they'll probably just do what they did for the first which is take a character, fuck around with him a lot and just put him in the movie.

Anyway, I've got a good amount of episodes from the cartoon downloaded so I'm happy for now (secret wars, all chapters. Final 2 episodes and more ).

Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 11:55 AM       
This movie sounds cool, but I'm going to reserve judgment on it until more information comes out.

As for Batman, they definitely should have kept Keaton and Burton around. I want to see Batgirl die.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 12:25 PM       
I know I'm going to get punked out on this, but Eddie Brock would be played very well by Brock Lesnar (appearance-wise. I don't know how good he'd be at professional acting). He's ripped out the ass, and would tower over Tobey. If you can think of anyone better, speak up.

http://www.cyclone2k.com/stars/brock.jpg
http://www.newulmtel.net/~jonanton/carnage/carhist3.jpg
Mocker

James sucks
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 01:46 PM       
More from Dark Horizons:

The Amazing Spider-Man: Superhero Hype has details on the visual look of Alfred Molina's villain: "Doc Ock's costume will more or less consist of a dirty lab coat (to suggest that he's gone crazy and hasn't even changed his clothes), the tentacles come out of the harness from his back rather than his sides, and the end of the tentacles, while having the comic version 3 pronged metal claws, will also have another set of tiny claws in the middle that come out to do things like typing, and more delicate tasks which big claws couldn't do. Also, the reports of doc's tentacles being all animatronic is true (obviously since dykstra himself said so, but that said...), although I believe they're more referring to the close-up shots etc. it'd be absurd to think that no cg would be used at all (aka the wide shots)". Thanks to 'FanHalen'.
FlakTrooper is probably a spambot
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 07:31 PM       
As long as they didnt cast Venom as fucking Vin Diesel. If they did they Paul Walker would probably end up getting cast as Peter Parker. The movie would be touted as the two "stars" first movie together since Fast and the Furious, or some other swampy shit along those lines. I have almost zero faith in Hollywood now. Give them time and they can screw up anything
The Wolf
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 10:15 PM       
Jamesman, I swear, if you ever say anything like that ever again I'm going to kill you. Seriously, that's one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

Mocker

James sucks
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 10:21 PM       
If The Rock can be cast as a fucking Egyptian warrior, Brock Lesnar can be cast as a 300-lbs tub of black goo.