Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:31 AM        Vatican to liberalize use of Tridentine Mass
I've been waiting for this a long time, even though I haven't been to mass in months. Kevin, Blanco, any thoughts? The Jerusalem Post was bitching because the 1540s missal referenced "the perfidious Jews" in a prayer for conversions, but that was done away with between WWII and Vatican II.

Under the expected new guidelines, approval from bishops won't be necessary for parishes of 30 or more members to perform the mass. Maybe now I won't have to drive an hour to hear the Tridentine mass.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 08:37 PM       
I'm neither Kevin nor El Blanco, but I was raised Catholic and still consider myself to culturally Catholic.

The whole fun for me going to mass as a kid wasn't hearing all religious doctrine but the ritual--the breaking of the bread and the water into wine. The Jewish quip aside, I think the whole idea of bringing Latin back into mass is exciting, and I think it might actually bring some parishoners back into the fold.
MockMeAmadeus is probably a spambot
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 07:59 AM       
I am not a Catholic, so surely I do not exactly understand all this. If I may, why does the speaking in Latin make such a big difference in Mass? After all, how many people does really understand Latin nowadays? Or do you just recite the words by memory? PLEASE, this is NOT a mock, I would really like to know.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 01:30 PM       
People just recite by memory. Thats why the change at Vatican II was a big deal. I just don't get why that took so long.

There is more to the Tridentine than just Latin. The Catholic Mass was conducted in Latin well after the Tridentine went out of vogue. It has to do with the way the Liturgy is performed but its not really earth shaking.

This is kind of a "meh" issue for me. Some parishes are going to offer it and it may be something to try once to see if you dig it, but I don't see my habits changing because of it.
MockMeAmadeus is probably a spambot
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 01:55 PM       
Interesting. Thank you. I am more of a spiritualist nowadays, after a bad experience with the Baptists. I absolutely believe in life after death and it is interesting to learn how 'different' religions go about it to get their followers to accept the same thing. Thanks again.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 02:24 PM       
The point is that it's a ritual, and the meaning of the words is not the only important thing. It's supposed to be a transformative experience, and reciting things in Latin, which is essentially only used in church, makes it that extra degree less mundane and more religious.