Old Feb 21st, 2010, 02:50 PM       
I blame people like phoenix gamma
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 10:24 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/2010021...2BAlt%2BDel%29

Not all that funny really, I just thought it was a coincidence I read both that comic and this thread this morning.
Buckley comics. B^U
has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 12:20 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant10708 View Post
I blame people like phoenix gamma
YEA WELL NO ONE ASKED YOU

I DON'T EVEN PIRATE A LOT OF PC GAMES CAUSE MOST OF THEM ARE POOP ANYWAYS EXCEPT FOR THE GOOD ONES SOMETIMES.

Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 05:35 PM       
So their new DRM has been out for one day, and it's already cracked:

http://www.infoaddict.com/ubisofts-n...under-25-hours

But Ubisoft says "nuh uh!"

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/04/ubi-...rts-are-false/

Cranberry Everything
dextire is probably a spambot
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 06:29 PM       
Wow, that was fast.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 05:05 AM       
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/07/ub...ssins-creed-2/

And there it is. The worst case scenario that every game journalist and ordinary observer predicted has happened.

Want to play single player AC2 on your PC? Either wait for Ubisoft to diagnose and fix their authentification servers, or get crackin'.

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 05:26 AM       
It's nice to know every one of their PC games from this point on will have that.
Cranberry Everything
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 01:00 PM       
Looks like it was an attack. http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62683
Only 5% were supposed to have been affected by the outage, so everything is fine, right?

I'm kind of surprised they admitted to being successfully attacked.
Though I guess they had to choose between admitting to buggy software, or being susceptible to attacks.

If these kinds of problems continue to happen do you think Ubisoft will back down, or just keep sinking with the ship?
Funky Dynamite
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 05:09 PM       
I think "sinking". If they back off as a response to attacks like this, then it makes such actions seem not only credible, but effective. No, I think they'll just continue down this road, spending countless resources to combat pirates, only to fail and drive their customers further away. I suspect each new incarnation will be worse than the last, until they finally shut down their PC development outright.

I haven't bought a PC title of theirs since the heinously buggy Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Personally, I'd be willing to sacrifice their mediocre IPs if their failure would serve as a warning to other companies that draconian DRM measures are a bad idea.

Cranberry Everything
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 08:15 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie View Post
If they back off as a response to attacks like this, then it makes such actions seem not only credible, but effective.
You mean that it might get so bad that Ubisoft would have to remove the DRM altogether?
But that would mean legitimate customers would no longer be kicked in the balls, and pirates would... well pirates wouldn't notice a thing, would they?

I'm sure you're right though. They will continue until the bitter end.
And I really hope you're right about the warning to other companies that better ways exist to combat piracy.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 09:00 PM       
I think he means that Ubisoft would go out of business before removing it. And then their numbers would be down so much that Activision or whomever would buy them up and make changes. I forsee that.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 11:15 PM       
you know what their response to people constantly cracking their drm is gonna be? they're gonna stop releasing shit on PC and release only to consoles
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 11:19 PM       
The only console that's not getting a lot of pirating is the PS3, but that's gonna change soon. An exploit came out a couple months ago for people to build off of. And I suppose the sheer amount of data on a Bluray is a bit of a deterrent.
Funky Dynamite
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 11:31 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer View Post
you know what their response to people constantly cracking their drm is gonna be? they're gonna stop releasing shit on PC and release only to consoles
Absolutely. The people who launched the DoS attack that shut down their authentication servers, in all likelihood they've succeeded only in convincing Ubisoft to spend more on DoS attack prevention.

But frankly, I'm not worried about them dropping out of the PC market. Their PC ports have been lazy and bug ridden over the last few years. That, combined with the DRM shenanigans, is enough for me to believe that they're out already.

It's like a farmer threatening to remove his produce from Ralph's if the public doesn't start buying his bruised bananas.

Cranberry Everything
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 11:40 PM       
Quote:
It's like a farmer threatening to remove his produce from Ralph's if the public doesn't start buying his bruised bananas.
Words to live by.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 11:47 PM       
Except the farmer has perfect yellow bananas until the multinational food corporation buys them off him and then bruises them to prevent people stealing them.
Cranberry Everything
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 11:54 PM       
Right. And the people who steal them get the perfect bananas, and the people who bought them get the bruised ones.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 11:58 PM       
But I don't like bananas, so I couldn't give a damn either way.
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 12:09 AM       
Soon they will be bruising the other fruit.
Funky Dynamite
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 12:13 AM       
The point is that we should be buying the bananas from international corporations that try to make better tasting bananas, and we should boycott the corporations that try to sell bananas that require a constant internet connection.

Cranberry Everything
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 12:14 AM       
In all honesty, dragon-fruit is way better anyway.
Why would you want a bruised banana when you could have dragon-fruit?

Quote:
bananas that require a constant internet connection.

Last edited by dextire : Mar 9th, 2010 at 12:17 AM. Reason: bananas requiring a constant internet connection is funny as hell.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 12:17 AM       
They could engineer bananas to taste like dragon fruit.
Cranberry Everything
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 12:20 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
They could engineer bananas to taste like dragon fruit.
Why would they do that when people are buying bruised bananas that require a constant internet connection?
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 12:22 AM       
I'm saying they could. They have the dev kits to do it.
Cranberry Everything
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 12:29 AM       
Well, I think they should do that because dragon fruit is very tasty stuff.
But I also think they should stop bruising the bloody fruit.