FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 08:33 AM        CLERKS 2: PASSION OF THE CLERKS
Quote:
Director Kevin Smith plans 'Clerks' sequel

By ANTHONY BREZNICAN
AP ENTERTAINMENT WRITER

LOS ANGELES -- Kevin Smith is making another convenience store run.

The writer-director of "Dogma," "Chasing Amy" and "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" told the Associated Press on Friday that he has begun work on a sequel to "Clerks," his homemade indie classic from 1994.

That $27,000 movie, shot at night in a store where Smith worked, chronicled the adventures of Dante and Randal, two guys who talk about life, death, sex and movies while working at neighboring stores.

The sequel picks up 10 years later.

"It's about what happens when that lazy, 20-something malaise lasts into your 30s. Those dudes are kind of still mired, not in that same exact situation, but in a place where it's time to actually grow up and do something more than just sit around and dissect pop culture and talk about sex," Smith said during an interview at his Hollywood office. "It's: What happened to these dudes?"

A new 10th anniversary DVD of "Clerks" debuts Sept. 7, and Smith said working on that three-disc set inspired him to write about what became of those characters.

The sequel - titled "The Passion of the Clerks" - is set to begin shooting in January. Miramax Films, which turned the original into a cult-hit after buying it at the Sundance Film Festival, plans to distribute the follow-up.

"It's funny, it's very raw, insanely foul-mouthed. In many ways it's the antithesis of 'Jersey Girl,'" Smith said, referring to his recent PG-13 comedy with Ben Affleck as the widowed father of a little girl.

Smith is also writing the screenplay for a movie version of "The Green Hornet," but no longer thinks he will direct it. The "Clerks" movie has moved to the top of his to-do list.

He said he called Jeff Anderson, who played the combative video-store worker Randal, and Brian O'Halloran, who was the besieged-by-strangeness convenience store employee Dante, to run the idea by them first.

"Jeff was actually very protective of 'Clerks,'" Smith said. "Jeff was like, 'Are you sure you want to do this? That movie means a lot to people and do you want to go back?' I thought about it honestly, and it would seem chicken to not give it a shot just because I'm afraid of (messing) with the first film."

So far, he said he has gotten only positive responses from the people who have read the script, so he decided to move forward with it. Both O'Halloran and Anderson are signed on, and Jason Mewes, will return as stoner Jay, the "hetero life-mate" of Smith's stoic Silent Bob.

"I'm sure there will be naysayers who say, 'Oh my God, it's an opportunistic grab at a buck,' but it's not. We're doing it for nothing," Smith said. "We're going to do it insanely inexpensively. The budget will be somewhere between 250 grand and $5 million."

The original was shot pre-dawn, and most of the actors worked for free and then went straight to their day-jobs with little or no sleep.

"This time around we'll afford ourselves the luxury of nice 12-hour days," Smith said. "And people can get paid."
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:06 AM       
uuuugh...i have a bad feeling about this.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:14 AM       
Didn't he say he wasn't going to make another J&SB movie?

huond is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:35 AM       
but then jersey girl flopped

i hate kevin smith
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:47 AM       
Mock is so gonna be Kevin Smith in ten years.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:56 AM       
Who's Kevin Smith?
Mocker

James sucks
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 11:42 AM       
He's the guy who played Aries on Hercules and Xena. He died doing a stunt a couple years ago.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 11:47 AM       
But seriously, the "View Askewniverse" movies have been pretty hit or miss, with Smith's more studio-esque pictures taking the brunt of distaste. One has to wonder what's going to happen with this kind of movie, especially after seeing how ALL of Kevin Smith's characters were stuck in Limbo in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.

I really don't think anyone wants to see Dante and Randal stuck in the same situation 10 years later in their lives, but I also don't think they want to see Dante and Randal going on an adventure or something (See the short-lived cartoon). If it'd been done earlier, or set earlier in their lives, there might be potential to continue the story as we know it.

I thought Clerks 2 was gonna be called Hardly Clerkin'. I don't like the Passion reference at all.

N00bKill3R is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 12:51 PM       
It was supposed to be Hardly Clerkin' and an animated movie if I recall
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 01:33 PM       
Quote:
"It's about what happens when that lazy, 20-something malaise lasts into your 30s. Those dudes are kind of still mired, not in that same exact situation, but in a place where it's time to actually grow up and do something more than just sit around and dissect pop culture and talk about sex," Smith said during an interview at his Hollywood office. "It's: What happened to these dudes?"
You see, this is what is going to go wrong with it. In Clerks we basically had some guys doing shit and being funny about it. Now we're going to get a coming of age bullshit story in which Smith uses to try to redefine his life through film and in the process completely toy and fuck up what made him recognizable in the first place.

The fucker should just stop for a minute to think what he's doing instead of using his good stuff to revive a career that would have been Jersey Girl All The Motherfucking Time if the damn thing had made money.
Fuck Yeah
McClain is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 01:40 PM       
I hate speculative Kevin Smith experts. Think they know fuckin' everything.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 02:00 PM       
it better have allah in it or else habib will kill you to brun in youre hell kevnin smith!!!
Mocker

James sucks
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 02:00 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bKill3R
It was supposed to be Hardly Clerkin' and an animated movie if I recall

I think the idea for the animated movie came along much later, and got scrapped.
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 02:05 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain
Not much speculation involved, really. The man made Jersey Girl which was definitely not like anything else he's done and now he's suddenly revisiting his first movie with that quote above? Come on, where the hell would the people from the first movie be now? Sure as shit it's going to go off on that tangent, I'd bet money on it.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 02:13 PM       
He should get Vincent Gallo to direct the sequel.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 03:28 PM       

That movie would definitely span time.
Fuck Yeah
McClain is probably a spambot
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 04:33 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbu Manowar
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain
Not much speculation involved, really. The man made Jersey Girl which was definitely not like anything else he's done and now he's suddenly revisiting his first movie with that quote above? Come on, where the hell would the people from the first movie be now? Sure as shit it's going to go off on that tangent, I'd bet money on it.
Has anyone seen the movie? Read the script? No? Okay then. It's speculation. Pure and simple. What is there to argue about?
I bring this up because I get so sick and tired of Kevin Smith fans/haters analyzing every movement he makes. HE'S NOT WORTH GETTING ALL ANALYTICAL OVER, PEOPLE! The actors in Clerks, sans Jay & Silent Bob, WERE SHITTY ACTORS! THAT IS WHY THEY DID IT FOR FREE. Every other line in that fuckin' movie is trite and overdone. I'm just sick and tired of this shit. SICK AND TIRED, I TELL YOU! Who feckin' cares, anyway. If it comes out and it's good, I'll give it a thumbs up. Until then, WHO FUCKIN FUC:LKJ>F:ELKJWFJK:Lj;l kj;lkj;lk rewa;l

AAAAAAGGGGRRRHHHH!
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 02:05 PM       
mcclain's last post is goddamn hilarious if you read it in a whiney Dante voice.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 02:07 PM       
cuz the board won't let me edit right now:

and replace "until then ..." with "and i'm not even supposed to be here today..."
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 03:33 PM       
I agree with Mclain Kevin Smith movies blow.
Mocker
EverythingWillSuck is probably a spambot
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 07:06 PM       
he said he's still doing an animated movie after this

there's still hope
Captain Goodtimes is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 02:30 AM       
If I actually see this movie in theaters, I'm not buying popcorn youknowwhatimsaying.
bartman15 is probably a spambot
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 11:39 PM       
whats the big fuckin deal!!!!! kevin smiths last movie blew and he even knows it! so i think we should give the man some credit for going back to his roots:dick and fart joke filled buddy flicks! but if it does turn into anothe fuckin jersey girl i swear i will seriously fuck kevin smith with a broken beer bottle!
mubert is probably a spambot
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 11:45 PM       
BUMP YOU MOTHERFUCKER. Anyway, I agree.
bartman15 is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 12:48 AM       
hey mubert thx, but you're not going to win me over in the contest by agreeing