Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 11:27 AM       
So I got to play Bang!. I am a big fan of the secret roll war kind of games like Shadow Hunters (with the exception of Battlestar Galactica). This game delivers, and I love the "he just banged him" jokes that kept happening.

If you can get 5-7 people together I say give this one a try. Not very complicated but pretty fun.
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 06:31 PM       
Interesting coincidence, I just bought Bang! a few days ago on a hunch. Havenīt played it yet but it appears to be really good
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 07:03 PM       
Picked up Citadels upon many recommendations and I've yet to play it. Might get a few people over tonight - looks likea ton of low stakes fun.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 01:17 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
Picked up Citadels upon many recommendations and I've yet to play it. Might get a few people over tonight - looks likea ton of low stakes fun.
Good choice. Better the closer to 7 players you get, but fun and functional even with just 2
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 05:26 PM       
Quote:
I'm trying to major in games and game design, specifically board games.

Multi-disciplinary studies - that sort of thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Study-Games-El.../dp/0898740452

Anyone know any other books that would be helpful?
dungeons and dragons rule book?
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 06:07 PM       
Quote:
I'm trying to major in games and game design, specifically board games.

Multi-disciplinary studies - that sort of thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Study-Games-El.../dp/0898740452

Anyone know any other books that would be helpful?
Have you read Playing to Win? Although it's written with video games in mind (specifically Street Fighter) the concepts apply to board games or any games really. Here's the initial article that was later expanded into the book.

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playi...in-part-1.html

The full book is also on that site and it's free to read.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 12:23 PM       
The internet's where most of this stuff's at now, anyways, so I've read scads of game design articles. Haven't read that, though. I'll look into it a bit later. But it's not just board games - video games are as applicable.

And a D&D rulebook would probably be worth getting, honestly.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 05:10 PM       
maybe you can get some gay history of dungeons and dragons thing so you can see the balance issues and game mechanics bullshit they discussed if there is such a thing.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 10:40 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
There's a few good "x best board games of all time" books worth looking into. But to get really into how to design a great game you have to learn what works by playing them. Watching the trends is a good thing too. Like right now the co-op games and deckbuilders are scoring huge. Going to both Gen-Con and Origins is a must as well. You can talk to a lot of game developers there and see the nuts and bolts of how it all comes together if you find the right peeps to talk to. Demo anything and everything, not just to see what works, but to see what does not so you don't repeat the mistakes of a poor game design with a pretty finish,
So the other day I was helping a member of the board game club I am in play test a very alpha stage game he made. He wanted to make a space like version of Bang! Long story short he clearly failed to proofread a lot of his cards and some mechanics were missing entirely (like equippable weapon cards) whoch got us stuck in an infinite loop where we could not attack each other.

I bring this up to add yet another piece of advice to the list above. Proofread what you make. It may not seem like much but missing one key component can wreck your game.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 12:41 AM       
Play-testing also works for that, as evidenced.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 10:06 PM       
Quote:
So the other day I was helping a member of the board game club I am in play test a very alpha stage game he made.

frappez le cochon rouge
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 02:34 AM       
Played in last week's and this week's Pokemon championships.

I hate metas.
drifting in the void
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 06:57 AM       
Not much time right now, but three new games on the shelf, Kingsburg, Rex - final days of an empire and A few acres of snow, the new Wallace game, more on the last two in a while
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 09:21 AM       
A few acres of snow was just reviewed on the Shut Up Sit Down show. I am going to be getting it soon.

Kingsburg is a great purchase, I recommend it to everyone

Last edited by Pentegarn : Mar 30th, 2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: because apparently I forgot how to spell 'sit'
drifting in the void
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 08:10 AM       
Quote:
A few acres of snow was just reviewed on the Shut Up Sit Down show. I am going to be getting it soon.
Exactly the reason why I got it, Quinns and Paul have a way of being a great indicator whether a game is fun or not

And even though their representation of the game is not all that accurate, the atomsphere is spot-on. I´ve of course yet to play it with another person but the game is so easy, yet very elegant in it´s design, I´d say almost anyone can play it and have a lot of fun.

Both factions have about the same options but different strenghts. While the English have the superior sea-force and easier troop recruitment, the French are sneaky, great at raiding unfortified english outposts and traversing the inland terrain with ease.

The two-actions-per-turn mechanic gives the players a lot of options but also forces them to think tactically AND strategically since you can play cards into your reserve for later use (though those cards can be vulnerable to enemy ambushes. I think it the English player would not like it at all if he was to start a big Siege for Port royal or maybe Quebec and the French just wastes his Siege Cannons with a single Sapper :D

As you can see, I really really like what I´m seeing in this game. It´s really fast too, I can imagine games of around 40mins as soon as both players know their way around the game

Oh and they even included french and german manuals and info-sheets, very nice of them.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 12:25 PM       
So the GF and I tried out a game called Feudo. It is a 13th century British conquest game. I had hoped for a bit less combat and a bit more politics in it, but it was pretty much all conquest. Kind of felt like Smallworld without the troop loss for occupying places.

Essentially you have 3 Knights, 2 Mercenaries, 2 Infantry, 1 Baron, 1 Milady, and 1 First Knight who have various power scores and you have them scurry about the board in an effort to collect victory points which are gained by conquering cities or defeating other players soldiers in the combat phase. There are a couple minor factors to worry about like Barons can stack an additional unit on them for more power in a single space, or First Knights being the strongest single unit but not being allowed to stack, or Miladys who can render opposing Barons useless by using the enamored ability. There is a plague running rampant throughout the kingdom as well and if a unit gets the plague (which happens a lot) they will become weaker (except the Milady, who turns into a disease spreading whore). The winner is the person with the most victory points after 10 turns.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 02:11 PM       
More games need a Milady.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:00 AM       
BANNED

Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:01 AM       
did you enseminate in her domain afterwards
BANNED

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 03:00 AM       
not the charmin' bear