Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 05:01 PM        MATHMATIC FORUMULA RELATED 2 COPYING DVDS Math h8rs GET LOST
(NOTE: I started typing this out, wanting help trying to figure out a mathmatical forumula for recording movies and then recording their audio commentaries, but by the time I finished typing I figured it out by myself. I am posting this anyway to celebrate my figuring this out)

I am trying to figure out a mathmatical formula that would work for this situation, and any similar situation. I'm including as much info as I can so people who don't know about dvd copying and stuff, but are good with math, can still help me:

I want to make a copy of a movie, as well as copy it's audio commentary. I don't have the equipment to record the movie's audio commentary as a seperate audio track; I'd have to record the movie once, and then record it again while the audio commentary is playing.

I want to record the movie as program number 1. Then the movie with the audio commentary playing would be program number 2. The movie by itself needs to be in the highest quality possible. The movie with the audio commentary playing would have to be in the lowest quality possible, which would always be EP mode (360 minutes per disc)

There are a few different recording modes, in order of highest quality to lowest quality, and the ammount that each quality allows you to use per disc:

XP is 60 minutes per disc
SP is 120 minutes per disc
LP is 240 minutes per disc
EP is 360 minutes per disc

(like I said, I know this is pretty basic for a lot of you but I'm trying to be all inclusive to people who know math)

The DVD Recorder also has an FP mode feature, which means you can set the number of minutes in a program, and it uses all For example, If I wanted to record a 90 minute movie, I could set the FP recording for 90 minutes, and it would record the entire movie, and use all the space on the disc.

Now lets say I want to record a 90 minute movie, and then record it again with it's audio commentary. I would record the 90 minute movie, BUT I'd set it to record a 120 minute program (which would be SP mode). This way when the 90 minute movie is over, I press stop, and there's 30 minutes left on the disc.

Since 120 minutes (in SP mode) = 360 minutes (in EP mode)

you can conclude that 30 minutes (in SP mode) = 90 minutes (in EP mode).

This means I have the space required to record the movie again, but this time with an audio commentary track playing over it, in EP mode. This is what I want to be able to figure out, and I need a formula that I could apply to any movie of any length.

This particular movie is 105 minutes.

That would mean I would set the movie to record at a certain lenth, which would be OVER 105 minutes. I would record for ONLY 105 minutes, and have minutes left over. I would be able to switch it over to EP mode, and have exactly 105 minutes left over to record the movie again in EP mode.

So, how do I go about figuring this out? I'm sure it's something relatively simple, but I haven't been in a math class for almost 4 years.

One possible solution is that I could record the movie with audio commentary FIRST, in EP mode. I would have 255 minutes (in EP mode) left. Then I would simply set my FP recording for 105 minutes to record the movie with, in its highest quality possible.

Oh crap I think I'm starting to figure this out! I had it a little last night but I think I screwed up my math and did something wrong...

Oh man I think I DID figure this out!

Okay, so I'm using 105 minutes in EP mode for the audio commentary. That would leave 255 minutes in EP mode for the movie WITHOUT commentary. So I figure out how many minutes in EP mode does it take to equal 1 minute in 105 minute FP mode:

105 times X = 255
X = 2.4286

That means one minute in this 105 minute (FP recorded) program is like using 2.4286 (EP) minutes.

So then I want to figure out how many minutes times what X equals above is equal to 360 (the maximum minutes in EP mode)... I forget why exactly

X times 2.4286 = 360
X= 148.2336 !

SO the answer would be!

I would record, telling my DVD recorder that the movie is 149 minutes (rounded up) long. I would record for 105 of those minutes.

SO to figure out similar problems:

L = Lenth of the movie

360 - L = L times X
Y times X = 360
y = the length required for me to record program #1 and still have enough left over to record the same length in EP mode!

Lets apply this to a 90 minute movie (this means L = 90), remember I said you'd need to record at 120 minute mode for a 90 minute movie.

360 - 90 = 90 times X
270 = 90 times X
X=3

Y times 3 = 360
Y = 120

Oh fuck I'm so proud of myself for figuring this out. This is right, right?
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:42 PM       
hate to be a total fag, but i would recommend a dvd-r for the pc, they are cheap now(~50) and there is software that lets you retain the menu systems and such and get rid of foreign language audio tracks and subtitles, and such and compress it to fit on a single layer disc. It would also be lots faster than playing and recording the movie with a standalone recorder. and best of all no math!

fuck sorry for not reading all your math i am kinda busy right now!
Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:49 PM       
hey thats okay you dont have to read all that math but its there if anybody needs it!!!!