Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 08:23 PM       
We need a shovel Emoticon
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 08:54 PM       
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBcAFtPYgN8
"WHAT'S TOUGHER THAN A CAPCOM STREET FIGHTER"
Guile- "A Street Fighter's mother?"
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 04:00 AM       
Quote:
I didn't say a game had to be bad to be overrated, I said it should be bad to be the "most overrated game ever".
popularity tends be the major cause of over-rating, and genuinely bad games tend to not be popular

Last edited by executioneer : Mar 6th, 2008 at 04:08 AM. Reason: MAKE SENSE THIS TIME, WILLIE
Ants Who Ruin Your Dinner
Codiekitty is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 10:43 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer View Post
popularity tends be the major cause of over-rating, and genuinely bad games tend to not be popular
Yeah, "tend to". But there are some genuinely bad games with rabid fanbases. Final Fight comes to mind. I've only played an hour of it, but I have it on good authority Lunar is horrible.

In any case, I could make a case for Halo being more overrated than FF7. I could probably make a stronger one had I actually played Halo, which I would gladly do if I actually owned an Xbox.

One of FF7's claims to fame is its special effects, like the Star Wars of video games. Most of the summons are flashy, like Bahamut Zero and Knights of the Round, and Sephiroth's Supernova attack. Admittedly they're kind of long, but they're interesting to watch once.

Halo's claim to fame is that you can see all the individual blades of grass and leaves on the trees.

FF7 has all kinds of weird enemies, and you get a nice variety at the beginning of the game, like those wolves with their tails growing out the back of their head, the house that turns into a WMD, and the first boss is some kind of robotic scorpion.

Supposedly, you're fighting the same two or three enemies for the first half of Halo.

FF7 has all kinds of scenery, like Midgar itself, the rubble you climb on the way to Shinra HQ, Cosmo Canyon, or that town that looked like it got nuked and the survivors rebuilt what they could with rubble.

Halo is supposed to take place mostly in boring mechanical bases that all look the same.

The characters in FF7 may not be great, Cloud is emo and Sephiroth is Kefka lite. But Cid is awesome (I once called him a little kid in a compulsive swearing old man's body), and at least they all had faces, names, and some kind of personalities.

Master Chief has none of those features, and as a friend of mine said, might as well be called "Captain Gunshoot Man"
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:21 AM       
Depends on what you mean by overrated. By real gamers, FF7 is by FAR the more overrated of the two. Between frat boys and review rags, Halo 3 probably outscored FF7.

Quote:
One of FF7's claims to fame is its special effects, like the Star Wars of video games.
That's not why it's over-rated today. Most people complain about the long summons.

Quote:
Halo's claim to fame is that you can see all the individual blades of grass and leaves on the trees.
No it wasn't. It was the AI and the multiplayer.

Quote:
FF7 has wacky rpg bosses, Halo has two or three enemies
Well, uh, what are you arguing here? Asian RPGs have crazy enemies, therefore they're awesome? Dude, they're ASIAN. That's all they do over there.

And in Halo, you're fighting an army of aliens who come from two or three distinct nationalities. Would you play Call of Duty and complain that all of your enemies are human?

Quote:
FF7 has scenery / Halo takes place in boring mechanical bases
Both games spend the majority of their time outdoors.

Quote:
FF7 characters have FACES! Master Chief wears a helmet!
You are aware that master chief isn't the only character in Halo, right? You can dismiss two of the idiotic archetypes in FF7 (both of whom are the main characters), but you can't dismiss the guy that you rarely even see in Halo?

Neither are the best game ever, but FF7 certainly brought less to the table in terms of unique gameplay than the first Halo did. The "7" here is the clue.

Speaking of clues, seek one out.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:33 AM       
Also - http://kotaku.com/364353/dengeki-rea...av-of-all-time
Big Red Cat
Roggs is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 05:55 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie View Post
1. "Mario" is a franchise, not a single game.
FFVII has (for better or worse [probably worse]) become a franchise as well, though. Hence games like Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus.

Personally, as far as FFVII goes, I'm in the "Best Game Ever" camp. I actually think it's underrated in many ways.

Most overrated game ever, off the top of my head, would have to be Rainbow 6 Vegas. I played that for 20 minutes and was bored out of my mind the whole time.
Official forum judge
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 09:42 AM       
Whoops

Last edited by Girl Drink Drunk : Mar 8th, 2008 at 12:13 PM.
Official forum judge
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 09:42 AM       
Whoops

Last edited by Girl Drink Drunk : Mar 8th, 2008 at 12:13 PM.
Official forum judge
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 09:43 AM       
I thought the story in FFIV and FFVI were way better developed.......
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 11:57 AM       
Quote:
I got another one: Deus Ex. Why are people so obsessed with this game. It's really not that great. The combat system is the worst I have EVER seen in an FPS. I realize it's not a straight FPS, but a RPG/FPS hybrid, but that doesn't mean they have to make the shooting system in the game suck so hard it actually ruined the game for me! Seriously, it's mediocre at best.
Deus Ex is great because of all the ways you can go about doing things. I do agree that the gunplay combat is annoying. It's that way because it isn't a traditional FPS where you are supposed to go balls out and kill everything so it's toned down a lot and pretty much just a real time rpg combat system. After upgrading your gun abilities and weapons, it does get better.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
Kill The Rhythm!
Mr. Noodlehead is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 11:58 AM       
World of warcraft

I just don't see the appeal...
was never good
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 01:11 PM       
Yeah, I tried WOW myself twice and just couldn't get into it.
Almighty Samfucius
Samfucius is probably a spambot
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 05:18 AM       
I'd like to point out something about FFVII that I've noticed over the years.

As I've discussed video games with my friends, and FFVII has come up, I have always noticed one consistant thing. Every single guy with the exeption of one I have ever asked for their opinion on FFVII has called it either mediocre or crappy, or maybe average. On the extreme other hand, all five or six of the girl gamers I know start foaming at the mouth, creaming their pants, and rolling on the floor screaming "CLOUD!!! MMMMM!!!! CLOUDY-CLOUD-CLOUD!!! TAKE ME NOW!!!" or something to that effect.

What is it with girls and FFVII? I'm not trying to be an asshole, and I'm sure there are some girls out there who hate the game, and just as many guys who adore it, but seriously, they must live in a dimension parallel to mine, or something.

However, as I pointed out at the beginning of the thread, I may just have especially crazy friends.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 10:54 AM       
You must, because girls don't play video games.
Feel the guilt
Fat_Hippo is probably a spambot
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 01:28 PM       
Some do, Emu. A couple of girls in my class have a Wii. Sure, you'll be hard pressed to find any actual gamers among them, but there quite a few who play video games every once in a while.
He speaks truth!
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 01:31 PM       
I call bullshit. No girl would ever be caught dead playing a video game.
Feel the guilt
Fat_Hippo is probably a spambot
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM       
I call bullshit on your bullshit. With the whole new wave of casual gaming, more and more girls are playing video games. Hence the fact that some girls in my class have Wiis, as opposed to Xbox's or PS3's'.
He speaks truth!
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 01:37 PM       
I feel that i'm not going out on a limb when i call you a LIAR. No girl would EVER play a video game. End of story. Case closed. Good day, sir!
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 02:56 PM       
In my sociology class, a pretty good looking girl was looking at the smash bros brawl website and she even corrected me on it's release date :O

PS I just picked up brawl

That was very funny. Well done.
Almighty Samfucius
Samfucius is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 02:11 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRat View Post
I feel that i'm not going out on a limb when i call you a LIAR. No girl would EVER play a video game. End of story. Case closed. Good day, sir!
I think if you met my friend Codi your head would explode. Not only does she know how to code games herself (and not with some shitty fill-in-the-blanks program either), her goal in life is to design video games. And yes, she even plays them.

I can still kick her ass at just about every game though.

P.S. She's pretty good-looking too.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 02:51 AM       
WE HAVE SETTLED THIS ISSUE! YOU ARE A LIAR & GIRLS DO NOT PLAY GAMES!
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 02:52 AM       
'VIDEO GAMES' THAT IS. WE ALL KNOW GIRLS PLAY MIND GAMES, AMIRITE GUYS?
Mucho Porro
ElPila666 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 08:34 AM       
Yeah video games was invented for male wanker jerkoffs, and now they're improved with consoles like nintendo Wii where you can shake it, yeah baby shake that control like a weiner, that's it. i don't know if lesbians play video games though
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 08:36 AM       
I think, female Videogamers are some kind of modern-day myth, like dragons in the woods or the Sasquatch.

As for FF7...I didn´t really care about Mr. I-was-in-Soldier-yes-really-believe-me, aka Cloud...but I liked 7´s Battle-System a lot. Plus, it had a nice ammount of optional content.