Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 08:39 PM       
then why would they work on his primary hdd?

are there any other devices on the same cable as that drive?

Alive is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:16 PM       
You sharing out that drive/folder of music with, lets say kazaa or another p2p?
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 01:22 AM       
It's the only device connected to it. I was thinking of replacing it as the slave on my Primary IDE... could it be my Secondary is slightly fucked?

I've tried Winamp 2.x, Winamp 5, and iTunes, but as whoreable said, if that were the case, they would stutter when played from the primary drive as well.

I'm sharing this drive on my LAN and that's it. This problem occurred before it was shared though...
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 02:06 AM       
hell i am stumped :/ yeah i would try slaving it to your primary and see fi that helps :
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 02:17 AM       
Quote:
How do I stop Winamp from skipping when playing MP3 files?

There may be various causes, and some may be difficult to get around (e.g. some video drivers conflict with audio output in some circumstances, as do some modem operations, and these problems may be hard to fix, other than by updating your device drivers). Here are a few suggestions...

3) If you have more than one hard disk, make sure your using the fastest one for Windows virtual memory - this can make a *lot* of difference. Windows will default to using the c: drive usually, but if you've installed a second hard drive later it will probably be faster, and using it for your virtual memory instead will give you better performance. Go to Control Panel / System and select the Performance tab, then press the Virtual Memory button, and do Manual Configuration.

4) Go to www.winamp.com and download the Nullsoft Cross-fading Plugin (Experimental). I believe it can be found under both "Best plugins" and "Output plugins". Despite its name, crossfading (bringing a new song up as the previous one dies away, rather than having a gap in between) is only one feature of this plugin (and oddly enough, despite the name, the cross-fading feature is turned off by default). It seems to do a bet job of managing output than the standard Nullsoft Wave Out plugin, and it gives you more control - if you select it as your Output plugin under Preferences and then press the Configure button, it allows you to set the buffer size, the thread priority, the pre-buffering percentage and the block-size. Actually the default values seem to work well... but if you still have skipping problems, tinkering with these parameters should help. Also, if you actually want the cross-fading feature (which I kind of like myself - it fades from song to song on the playlist rather as a radio station would in a song set), turn it on by checking the "No gaps on stop or next" box in the configuration window.

1) Increase Winamp's execution priorities and buffering. Start Winamp and go to Preferences (Ctrl-P). Select Options at the left, then increase Winamp's overall process priority by moving the slider at the bottom towards the right, setting it to "High" or "Realtime". Still in Winamp Preferences, select Output on the left then press the Configure button - you should see sliders that will allow you to increase both the priority and the buffering of the output plugin. Now, still in Preferences, select Input on the left, and select Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder on the right, then press the Configure button - set the priority using the slider on the General tab (this should normally be set to "Highest").
snipped a few bits from a huge .mp3 FAQ :/

probably not helpful but idk
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 01:27 PM       
my best bet is still to run the manufacturers hdd diagnoatics
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 03:45 PM       
The same thing happens in iTunes and Windows Media Player, so I don't think it's a Winamp specific problem. The info you found (thanks btw Willie ) made me think it might be a virtual memory issue for the F: drive so I increased its virtual memory to 500Mb (from nothing, it was all allocated to the C: drive before). Still no improvement.

I downloaded a utility for Quantum/Maxtor drives that will check disk integrity, so I guess I'll give that a shot. It demands that I have a formatted floppy disk in the drive before launching, and I haven't used a floppy disk in like 2 years, so I'll have to wait until I find one. What would a utility like this do though, whoreable? Will it just tell me if the drive is messed or can it actually repair it?

The only other 2 things I can really think of are switch it to the primary IDE bus or format it.

POS drive
Dulled by Excess is probably a spambot
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 04:30 PM       
If the drive is suffering from a case of physical damage, then you might just be S.O.L. If the utility finds bad sectors or the like, the most it can do to "fix" the problem is mark the sectors as bad so they're no longer written to.