Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 09:21 PM        George Boob
Quote:
WASHINGTON (AFP) - Democrats and Republicans slammed the new US plan to surge troops into Iraq as a tragedy and the worst blunder since Vietnam, as the Bush administration admitted it had no idea how long the forces would stay.

President George W. Bush and top aides faced fierce criticism as they launched a hard sell to convince a nation weary of a war which has claimed 3,000 US lives that the last-ditch bid to step up the battle can work.

They warned the government of Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki was on "borrowed time" and promised to hold his government to its end of the bargain to tackle sectarian violence before US troops pour into Baghdad.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice faced a fearsome grilling by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, over the plan to send 21,500 more troops to Iraq, and Bush's warning US soldiers would tackle Iranian and Syrian elements there.

"I think this speech given last night by this president represents the most dangerous foreign policy blunder since Vietnam, if it is carried out," Republican Senator Chuck Hagel said.

Senator Joseph Biden, who presided over the committee's first inquisition of a senior administration figure since Democrats took over the reins of Congress last week, said American's prayers for a workable strategy had not been answered.

"I believe the president's strategy is not a solution, Secretary Rice. I believe it's a tragic mistake," Biden said.

"The result will be the loss of more American lives and our military stretched to the breaking point with little prospect of success."

Democrats said Wednesday they plan to hold votes on the Bush plan, but stopped short of vowing to cut off war funding.

The president, whose political legacy is riding on the long-odds bid to pacify Iraq, headed to an appearance with US troops in Fort Benning, Georgia, in his own personal sales pitch.

Rice defended the reliance of the Bush administration on the much derided Maliki government, which has failed to satisfy past US demands for robust action.

"I think he knows that his government is, in a sense, on borrowed time," she said.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates said no one could predict how long the US troop surge in Iraq would last, and Iraqi actions would be assessed before most new soldiers arrived.

"We'll have to see in terms of the length of time. It's really hard to say at this point," Gates said, adding the United States would closely monitor Iraqi compliance before its troops pour into Baghdad.

"It's viewed as a temporary surge, but I think no one has a really clear idea of how long that might be."

But he warned US forces in Baghdad would be "prisoners of anyone who wants to strap on a bomb and blow themselves up," adding that all districts would be targeted, including the stronghold of radical Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr.

Rice warned the United States would not let Tehran disrupt the US plan to stabilize Iraq, after Bush said US forces would hunt down Iranian and Syrian agents in the country.

"I don't want to speculate on what operations the United States may be engaged in, but you will see that the United States is not going to simply stand idly by and let these activities continue," she said in one interview.

Rice spoke hours after US troops captured six people accused of plotting attacks on US and Iraqi forces, in a raid in the Iraqi city of Arbil. Iran said five Iranians were seized from its consulate. The Pentagon denied it was a government post.

Retired diplomat, Timothy Carney, was meanwhile nominated by Rice, to head a new US reconstruction push in Iraq.

But Rice, who leaves for a tour of the Middle East on Friday, to sell the new US plan to moderate Arab allies, failed to placate Senators.

Democrat Christopher Dodd, a 2008 presidential candidate, described the US Iraq policy as a "fool's paradise." Party colleague Russ Feingold branded it a "true nightmare," and even staunch Republican Senator Norm Coleman said "the cost is too great" in terms of US lives to support the Bush plan.

Gates announced he would recommend an increase of 92,000 men in US armed forces, made up of 65,000 soldiers and 27,000 marines over five years to boost "combat capability."

Bush said in Wednesday's speech his new push was aimed at crushing terrorists, insurgents and rogue militias, and helping Iraq's security forces take control of the entire country by November.

In a rare specific admission of failure, Bush pointed to past efforts to secure Baghdad and said that not enough US and Iraqi troops had been deployed.

And now he's sending guy's into Somalia and I've mentioned that Somalia is the worst pit hole on the planet and it's really sad...I hate to say it but I think he's dumb enough to use Nuclear if he keeps stepping in it over and over again.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 09:32 PM       
When's he sending "guys" to Somalia?
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 09:53 PM       
Quote:
US attacks suspected militants in Somalia

09 January 2007 22:22

The United States has launched a fresh air strike in southern Somalia, targeting the same area attacked by a US military plane last night.

A Somali government spokesman has said that many people were killed in last night's attack and there are reports of as many as 27 people killed today.

A US aircraft carrier has been dispatched to the coast off Somalia to provide back up for the operation.
Advertisement

The US is thought to be pursuing al-Qaeda operatives they believe to be hiding among the Islamist forces in the south of the country near the Kenyan border.

A Somali defence ministry spokesman said today's attack, by at least two helicopters, was aimed at destroying the command and control facility of the terrorists.

In last night's attack, a US AC-130 gunship hit at least two villages in a raid targeting suspected al-Qaeda operatives wanted in connection with the 1998 bombing of the US embassies in Nairobi in Kenya and Dar es Salaam in Tanzania.

It was reported that those killed included a suspect wanted in connection with the bombings.

Somali officials said the US air strikes were launched after negotiations with the Ayr sub-clan - believed to be sheltering al-Qaeda operatives - failed to disclose the whereabouts of the wanted men.

The operation is the first overt US intervention in the Horn of Africa nation since the early 1990s.

Somalia's interim President Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed has defended the US strikes, saying it was the 'right thing to do'.

The Islamists have vowed to wage a guerrilla war against the government and its Ethiopian backers.

Ethiopian and Somali troops last week routed Islamists from their final stronghold in the southern port town of Kismayo, forcing them to flee into scrublands along the border with Kenya.

Last June, the Union of Islamic Courts took control of the capital Mogadishu and imposed Sharia law after forcing US-backed warlords to withdraw from the city.

Following Islamist attempts to capture the exiled government base of Baidoa, Ethiopia openly entered the war, which proved the decisive factor in saving the government and pushing back the Islamist forces.

Ethiopia's intervention came with the tacit support of the US, which has long expressed the fear that Somalia might become a sanctuary for terrorist suspects.
Mocker
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 10:37 PM       
1. We bombed them, didn't invade.

2. While it sounds like the bombing was done in a sloppy fashion (hey, liberals seem to like sloppy air wars, hello Kosovo), we were bombing a stronghold of a radical Islamic sect that declared war on Ethiopia. How is this a bad thing?
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 11:16 PM       
I think they are all going to turn on Boob and impeach him. I did a search and there are a whole bunch of sites dedicated to this :/ Al Gore must be doing some wierd grin somewhere.
Mocker
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 11:31 PM       
ok.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 02:08 AM       
Kevin whenever you make responses like that it makes me laugh
Mocker
zeldasbiggestfan suckszeldasbiggestfan sucks
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 02:16 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by FartinMowler
I think they are all going to turn on Boob and impeach him. I did a search and there are a whole bunch of sites dedicated to this :/ Al Gore must be doing some wierd grin somewhere.
I dont think they would impeach him. Besides Kevins right.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 03:33 AM       
absolutely thought-provoking, zelda.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 02:25 PM       
Again your goverment blunders...Canadians and Americans need to have a passport know to travel back and forth. Both sides are going to loose millions in tourism. Some bullshit about bugs inside our Canadian two dollar coin? I want someone to tell me what the fuck have we done to deserve this?
Mocker
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 02:28 PM       
Bryan Adams.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 02:46 PM       
Cuts like a knife was a great song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrNHs5tIH_g
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 02:55 PM       
I was rather happy with the Somali thing. We lost 20 Ethiopians in that battle, but NAILED a bunch of terrorists and did a good thing the rest of the world was to big of a pussy to fix. (Darfur anyone? eventually, after France refuses to help) No need to sit there and reconstruct either. No fuss no mess.

Also this thread is false advertisement POST A PICTURE OF BOOBS NOW!
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 03:01 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by FartinMowler
I want someone to tell me what the fuck have we done to deserve this?
LIKE YOU DON'T ALREADY KNOW!!!

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!