Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

kitatsdiuqil
liquidstatik is probably a spambot
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 01:20 PM        PS2 Not reading discs
My PS2 won't read any discs. I spared some of that air-in-a-can stuff and it started working for a few days but now it's stopped again. Anybody know what's wrong or how to fix it?
kitatsdiuqil
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 02:03 PM       
Where'd whoreable go? :o
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 03:05 PM       
Here I am!

maybe try one of those cd lense cleaner things, sounds like your laser might be dirty or going bad

I would try the cleaner first. Then maybe contact sony if that doesnt help I think they fixed my friend's but they charged a little for it

I think you can also buy a laser replacement on some internet sites, but it probaly isnt so easy to install....

Or the last option is to do what another friedn did, go to wal mart, buy a new ps2-gut it and put it inside your ps2, put your old crap the the new one then return it to the store....not sure how much walmart checks the systems these days....and again i have heard it is a bitch to do.

And that, is all i know.
kitatsdiuqil
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 06:45 PM       
at the last option.

I found how to fix it though!

This doesn't make any sense but:

1 - Take out yer controller
2 - turn on PS2 and hit the reset button
3 - Game will eventually load
4 - Plug controller back in and start playing!
5 - From then on it should work perfect!

As stupid as it sounds... it actually worked.
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 02:33 PM       
Quote:
Or the last option is to do what another friedn did, go to wal mart, buy a new ps2-gut it and put it inside your ps2, put your old crap the the new one then return it to the store....not sure how much walmart checks the systems these days....and again i have heard it is a bitch to do.
don't at that last option... it's fucking gold. worked for my friend on 3 separate occasions, and twice for my brother. even better is that all of these were self-inflicted due to faulty mod attempts back when they were newbies.

kitatsdiuqil
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 02:42 PM       
But it's wrong!
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:43 PM       
Yea i am considering modding my ps2 soley because of this option...but then again with my hacked xbox, i dont think it is work it
MY DAD
MrAdventure is probably a real personMrAdventure is probably a real person
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:27 PM       
that sucks : ()

my best friend has one that has the old motor issue where the weight of the dvd format discs is too much to bear so it slowly but surely gouges a fine circle in the disc making it unreadable > 0

ps does anyone have a skip doctor and if so does it suck or is it fucking awesome
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:44 PM       
they're usually fucking awesome you have to do it by the instructions though so dont lose them

-willie

absolute_relativity is probably a spambot
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 12:45 AM       
This trick works, I've done it to get DVD's to work on my ps2 and I've got a friend that bought an unused ps1 game that gave her the read error the first fucking time she tried to play it on hers, she said it worked. It gets burnt cd's to work on it as well if ya get bored. I didn't figure this out for myself, I found this in a gaming mag.... you take two strips of clear tape and lay them parallel across the top part of the disk (the part that it doesn't read just, in case you're easily confused) done correctly it will make an H with the middle bar the hole in the middle. You don't want to cover the hole, just get the tape close to it, should look like ( ||O|| ). And you're done. Basically if the disc doesn't get spinning fast enough your ps2 says next next time insert something other than Kraft Singles ©. The tape gives it more weight and that's enough to give it the rpms your ps2 needs to read it.

They also suggested the can-o-air and lense cleaners, which is not a bad idea considering you could fry your shit out if you don't blow out the dust every once in a while.
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 06:47 PM       
And if you have to call Sony, ask their price. If it's over $100, just tell them nevermind and go to anywhere but Best Buy* and buy another for $200 and go on living.

(The * is because Best Buy tried to sell me one of their crappy extended warranties on my PS2 by telling me that 'five in every six we sell is defective.' Two years later my machine is just busting along just fine. So fuck them)

MEATMAN is probably a spambot
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 02:34 PM       
They sell disc resurfacers or whatever they're called. Supposed to put a new film on the bottom and remove all the scratches. I don't know if they work, but it's only $30.
kitatsdiuqil
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 02:42 PM       
Where can I buy 'em?

Also, my PS2 is still under warrenty so Sony will fix it for free. But it'll take a month to get it back and I have to pay shipping. :/

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 02:45 PM       
You can find them at Wal-Mart, near the other PS2 accessories and the Game Boy Advance stuff.
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 07:54 PM       
I bought one of those "Game Doctors" it worked really good but then theres this green disk thing that u need to replace every so often. The problemis that I cant remove mt current one or find any replacements I think they mean Buy a New one......Bastard Matrketing

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 08:30 PM       
I've never used one, so I can't help you there. Is there a number you can call?
PyramidHead is probably a spambot
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 08:37 PM       
Dude, the same thing happaned to me. and i tried the 2 strips of tape, it didn't work very well. Than i tried something i read online, i opened my ps2 and cleaned out the lense with rubbing alchohol and a Q-tip. be careful though, you can damage something. and once you open the ps2 you void your warranty. here is a link on how to do this, very helpful: http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/f...read_error.txt
if done correcty most of your games should load as soon as you put them inside the ps2, but i had to do it again after a few months. to prevent this you should keep buying those air in a can things and spray all the vents every other day.

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 06:52 AM       
That's a bit too often. Once a month should suffice. Also, don't block any vents, and keep the door closed at all times. You know, the basic stuff.
kitatsdiuqil
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 09:47 AM       
Only problem with that method is that it voids the warrenty. And if that method doesn't work.. i'm screwed.

But on the happy-hand, i'm sending my PS2 to Sony today so they can fix it. :D