Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 04:52 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
FS, why is Rush Limbaugh a bad human being? For pointing out things that you would rather not deal with?
What's he pointing out exactly, Vinth, other than the fact that he doesn't know football and should stick to politics?

Do you guys REALLY see a push in the NFL or a media agenda towards pushing black quarterbacks? I don't and I don't see how Rush can really throw away two years of excellent quarterbacking just because a guy has an off year by saying the guy is skating on his ethicity. That's BS. McNabb's proven himself over and over again and Rush's comments were a slap in the face to his accomplishments. And to act as if black quarterbacks are a new liberal craze? That's BS too! Does anyone remember Doug Williams ... do two Super Bowl rings refresh your memory? I could go on with others but that's not the point anyway. I think the real reason is that the quarterback is in a position of leadership ( as are the coaches ) and that bothers some people that the allocation is taken by a black person. How about Rush pushing his political agenda on a FOOTBALL show? Is that not JUST as wrong?! And if your going to use the coaching push to point out how the media pushes affirmative action, you can forget that too re-emptivestrike. That decision was made by the NFL team owners.

As a matter of fact, if anything, I believe that the whole deal was a staged media event that went afoul. Rush was designed to be the show's biased, politically conservative idiot and he did his job a little too well.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 04:56 PM       
For the record, Williams only has 1 ring. 1987.

People, I can think of a thousand other stories we can happily debate in the sports world and I can take either side on most of them. Can we just drop this bullshit?
Mocker

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 05:00 PM       
Well ... yeah. Rush is off the show now.

Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 05:51 PM       
You think Frank Caliendo might actually be funny this week and do a Rush imitation? Hopefully, he can get fired to, that sorry ass replacement for Jimmy Kimmel.

O71394658 is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 09:12 PM       
I actually, ironically enough, heard on the Howard Stern show that there's an ongoing criminal investiagion against Rush because he's apparently all hopped up on painkillers. They think he might've been illegally filing subscriptions and popping pain pills or something.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 09:59 PM       
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:01 PM       
I hope to whatever God may be smiling down on me at the moment that Rush gets sent to prison, and is afterwards made the official "Soap Boy" in the showers.

Wait, that would be too good for ole' "LIBERALS ARE ALWAYS WRONG" Limbaugh. Maybe a heart attack will suffice.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:05 PM       
Limbaugh got Dixie Chicked.

See, he was one of the lead people telling Americans that they would be well with in their rights to oppose the comments that the Dixie Chicks made using their own right to free speech.

He was also one of the lead people telling Americans to oppose Bill Maher when he exercised his right to free speech by saying the 9/11 hijackers were anything but cowards.

And now his loyal fans are going to make a big deal about it when Americans continue to follow his advice, even though he didn't tell them what to do this time.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:10 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
1) Why did ESPN hire Rush again? Oh, ya, to make boisterous, inflamatory statements. And when he does, ESPN forces his resignation?

2) Why is it wrong for him to say McNabb is overated (I totally disagree) because he is black ( again, disagree) but OK for other people to say that Jason Sehorn got so much attention because he was a the Great White Hope at cornerback?
Yeah, this issue has been blown out of proportion, but his "resignation" is no surprise, that's just good business sense on ESPN's part.

So hey, is Michael Vick overrated...? I think Rush is making a valid argument in some ways, in fact it's the same argument being made currently by black scholars about the current popularity of white, european basketball players in the NBA. Just the other side of the coin....

However, Rush did this for the sake of doing it. He needs to be "controversial," so he had to say something he knew he'd take heat for. "It was an opinion, I though we had free speech." Blah, blah, blah....ask Mike Savage and Danny Glover about it. Free speech takes a back seat to ratings and money any day.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 02:00 AM       
What else do you expect a right wing talk show host to coment on about pro sports? He's supposed to ignore the obvious racial dynamic at play?

I don't like Rush, I can't sit through his show, and I'm not shocked to see this happening but...

Right wing talk show hosts say inflammatory things... it's nothing new... the only thing new is people are going after them so they loose their jobs...and i'm not cool with that. I'd much rather people came out in the open and talked like the racists they are so we know exactly who to watch out for (um, and hello and welcome to George. His post in this thread was rather scary!) Sweeping these opinions under the carpet doesn't make them go away. First Alan Keyes, then Savage...looks like pill popping Rush might be next. It scares me.... I doubt anyone would get away with holding NPR announcers nearly as accountable and they get public funds to speak their propaganda. That offends me far worse then some intolerant comments from some talk show host that everyone expects to say fucked up shit from.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 07:46 AM       
The biggest flip-flopping asswipe of them all is that intolerable Keith Olbermann.

--------
http://www.mrc.org/cyberalerts/2003/cyb20031002.asp#6

Olbermann Mocks Limbaugh But CNN’s Brown
Defends Rush’s Rights

Two nights after lamenting how the views of the Dixie Chicks, Al Franken and Janeane Garofalo were supposedly suppressed, as “2003 was not the first time dissent, the American virtue, the unique right of us Americans, suddenly became an ugly word,” instead on championing Rush Limbaugh’s free speech rights and denouncing any idea of censoring him by removing him from ESPN, MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann criticized Limbaugh’s opinion of media coverage of an NFL player and presciently predicted: “He’s gonna be fired.”

Far from bemoaning the anti-Limbaugh media herd mentality, on his 8pm EDT Countdown show Olbermann mocked Limbaugh: “The only question is will he be fired because he sees life as a conspiracy against white people or because he doesn’t know enough about football to understand that Donovan McNabb has led his otherwise lackluster team to the penultimate football game two years in a row.”

----------
http://www.mrc.org/cyberalerts/2003/cyb20031002.asp#6

MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann managed to link the supposed suppression of dissent by the Dixie Chicks, Al Franken and Janeane Garofalo with Kazan as he maintained that “2003 was not the first time dissent, the American virtue, the unique right of us Americans, suddenly became an ugly word.” Olbermann insisted that “when we talk about the death of Elia Kazan, overshadowing his work was the time he unreluctantly and unremorsefully identified eight of his personal friends as communists during his testimony before the House Un-American Activities Committee.”

-----------

Notice how he was so quick to defend the Chicks and others but when Rush says something he doesnt like, he doenst defend it.

Now THAT is a liberal.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:50 AM       
Maybe he just finds it hilarious Limbaugh is getting a big ol' dose of his own swill. Like me.

Location: one shot, right between the eyes, just for old times sake
Bennett is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:22 AM       
From Detroit FreePress writer Drew Sharp:

Limbaugh's three-minute ESPN soliloquy contradicted what he has adamantly espoused three hours a day, five days a week for the last 20 years on his radio show. His comments exposed the obvious flaws in the long-developed conservative mantra that only blacks and white liberals find it necessary to "see color" in everything.

McNabb nailed Limbaugh during his Wednesday press conference when he said he thought we had gotten past the point of looking at a quarterback's skin color.

Rush played the race card, turning a legitimate discussion of a quarterback's merit and performance into a referendum on perceived media biases. He did exactly what he has accused others of doing. He painted a justification in broad strokes to support an agenda.

He came across as the flip side of Hillary Rodham Clinton, who whined about supposed "right-wing conspiracies."

He looked like a hypocrite.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:46 AM       
I can't believe Vinth hasn't acknowledged my saying he was right. What an Ungreatful Prick. See if I ever do that again. See if I ever need to for that matter.

"Limbaugh got Dixie Chicked. "
-Chimp.

VERY good observation, Herr Chimpanzee. I think somebody said that the Chicks had a right to free speech but had to understand there were 'conquenences'. Anybody want to burn tapes of Rush's show?
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:36 AM       
hah, yea.

and vince, making a racial comment is a little bit different than discussing dissent on killing tens of thousands of people.

plus how can you compare foreign policy commentary to sports commentary, besides bush is only a minority in that he's from the elite class of folks born with a silver spoon.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:52 AM       
Slate magazine weighed in today as saying that there was nothing particularly wrong with the Rush quote. So lets see, now, that's me, Ranxer and Slate.

Can y'all say Lock Step Liberal Robots?

Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 11:11 AM       
I think I'm somewhere in the middle... I think that there are numerous things wrong with Limbaugh's comments:
first of all, he's wrong: McNabb is a great quarterback who really isn't surrounded by great talent. Philly has had one of the leagues better defenses at times, but as far as offensive weapons, he has been the main guy.
second, he assumed he was correct is saying so, so there must be some other motivation behind McNabb's praise. He could've simply said that he was overrated, Coversation Over.
Instead he brings race into an issue when there is no need to... i feel this makes him a hypocrite... see my above qoute.
Finally, he's just wrong about "the media" wanting a successful black quarterback. Doug Williams, Warren Moon, Michael Vick, Steve McNair, Rodney Peete (had his moments last season), Randall Cunningham, Daunte Culpepper, Kordell Stewart (had his moments as well), now Byron Leftwich... the issue of black quarterbacks is just NOT an issue anymore.

on the other hand, I don't think this should be such a huge deal. ESPN got what they asked for, and really how/why should anyone get offended or shocked at what Rush says? It's like getting mad at the mentally handicapped kid who just crapped his pants. He can't help it, it's just what he does. Really was anybody surprised at what he said?

I think it is an amusing situation. Rush could've crushed the situation, but instead decide to quit, possible because he didn't want to apologize. He had to be a "real man" and stand up for what he believes in. Funny thing is that he could've apologized without compromising what he believes in, but he would rather quit, because for someone like Limbaugh, admitting that you were wrong, in whatever capacity is much more damaging than just walking away. "What? Rush apologized... he's so PC!"

Sorry for rambling, my take is that the thing got turned into a media circus (surprise), and I think that what he said was stupid and wrong, but I've always pretty much taken him for a windbag (so no suprise).

EDIT: By the way, does anybody want to make a trade with me in the I-mock fantasy league? I need a good RB.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 03:55 PM       
I also heard that Al Franken, who absolutely loves Limbaugh and is definitely not taking any sort of smug satisfaction from this whole brouhaha, said that McNabb's stats for his first four seasons are better than John Elway's first four seasons. I think that sort of undermines the whole "overrated" claim.
Mocker

Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 04:21 PM       
He averaged over two OFFENSIVE TDs per game the past two years so I guess that blows Rush's "his defense carried him" theory out of the water.

P.S. I still don't harbor the resentment enough to wish him the ill will that some of you have wished him over the discovery of his alledged pain pill addiction. I don't care for his politics all that much but ... well, it's a shame people have to be like that.

Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 04:28 PM       
Rush Limbaugh > Micheal Moore.

C'mon. If anyone deserves to be roasted, it's Micheal Moore.
Mocker

Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 04:31 PM       
He's like the "Bizzaro World" Rush.

DoomCross is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:00 PM        Should maybe drop the subject.
Still one of the biggest problems in the world today, racism and discrimination.Unfortunately it always gets blown up(for obvious reasons I suppose) when a whiteman says something remotely offensive about a person of colour.I just can't understand why everyone can't get over it.Complete bullshit simply because all it's doing is fueling a fire that has been burning for so long.I would also like to point out that nobody, besides black people, cry foul when something even remotely offensive takes place.Can you look at jewish people for a second, they were pretty persecuted against and they seemed to have gotten over it(for the most part, I say we shouldn't completely forget but not dwell either.)It is one of those things that I will never understand.
Honestly, I've been put down by quite a few black people.Hell, it seems like they've wronged me and my family more than anyone.Still, I don't hate them because they hate me.What is the point of it all.Senselessness?.....exactly......It all boils down to publicity and media attention and as far as i am concerned,with media's help, this certain issue will never die.Unfortunately.....it probably never will die.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 06:15 PM       
Rush is right about McNabb being overrated. He looks shakey in the pocket, gets sacked a lot, and throws quite a bit of interceptions. His Eagles offense is never in the top 5 in total offense.

Hell, BRAD JOHNSON, a QB considered to be medicore at best, had a higher QB rating than McNabb.

NcNabb is overrated. Is it because he is black? With some people, yes. Is it because he was hyped to hell? Definetly. I'd take payton Manning over him, and I hate that hillbilly.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 12:04 AM       
The whole "To some people, yes." thing is only an opinion. If it is only to some people, then it is not fact, and Rush should not have been taking out of his ass like he has been doing on radio since before I can remember like his word is the final word.

Vince calls himself Christian, but he breaks the first commandment of "I am the Lord thy God, thou shalt have no gods beside me" in that he practically worships Rush and Boortz like they are writing the "New-new Testament".

Old Oct 4th, 2003, 01:10 AM       
It's funny that you would take Manning over McNabb, Vince. I mean, considering that Manning has never won a playoff game despite having one of the leagues best receivers and running backs while McNabb has nearly made it to the Super Bowl twice with neither.