Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 01:15 AM        "Classic Rock" radio stations are pissing me off.
I'm just talking normal free radio, not satellite radio, so let's get that out of the way right now.

I know that airplay is a complicated arrangement and that there are a lot of factors involved, but my fucking god I am so sick of Blue Oyster Cult and Kid Rock. Over and over and over. The local station (Dayton) seems to play a BOC song every fucking day around 10:30. There are two popular ones, and they just toggle back and forth. I went from disliking Blue Oyster Cult to really fucking hating Blue Oyster Cult.

Meanwhile, on it and the "we play anything" station, which is also heavy on the Kid Rock and BOC, I have NEVER heard any airplay for The Ramones, Iggy Pop, Television, and their ilk. Not even the popular stuff, "Blitzkrieg Bop", "Lust for Life", anything. There's not even very much Talking Heads.

That's all.
...Pause at the Beginning
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 04:30 AM       
I'm burnin' I'm burnin' I'm burnin' for you!

Yeh radio's pretty awful.

Also your classic rock station plays Kid Rock? The dude who got his start rapping on an ICP album?
Prepare for time warp.
ThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 04:42 AM       
In raleigh there's two stations, 100.1 and 96.1 that just seem to play the song that i'm thinking of all the time. Cream, Elton John (he's the fucking man, fuck you), Black Sabbath, Joe Satriani, Led Zeppelin, Jimi, Doobies, Deep Purple, Dio, AC/DC, Queen and the like. It's always good music, all the time, I fucking love it. No where else that I've lived has decent radio and Raleigh has two that I love.

Seriously. My radio stations are:

1. 100.1
2. 96.1
3. 100.1
4. 96.1
5. 100.1
6. 96.1

Last edited by ThrashO : Jul 19th, 2011 at 08:10 AM.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 04:42 AM       
yeah what the hell kid rock is in no way classic

do they at least play stuff like Hocus Pocus by Focus

after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 02:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer View Post
Moving Waves is a good album.
You may already be there.
Mocker

Shyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 12:33 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer View Post
My classic rock station occasionally plays it! I think I've heard it at least twice while at work.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 06:38 AM       
Columbus Radio is pretty much the same pile of issues, but just with different bands, we have 96.3 and they play Def Leppard and George Thorogood entirely too much. I used to listen to 105.7 because they heavily favored 70s and 80s rock, but they play too much Night Ranger so I got tired of them too. Now I just listen to my iPod all the time
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 02:49 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
but they play too much Night Ranger so I got tired of them too.
Motoring! What's your price for flight? For finding Mr. Right?
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 04:47 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
Motoring! What's your price for flight? For finding Mr. Right?
If only, it was just When You Close Your Eyes over and over
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 10:34 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
If only, it was just When You Close Your Eyes over and over
Merciful God in Heaven, how did you avoid stabbing your eardrums with sharpened pencils?
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 07:59 AM       
I like regular radio vs. ipod because I like the news and weather updates. Listening to the ipod is ok sometimes, but I don't like feeling disconnected.

The Kid Rock song is, unfailingly, that God Bless Saturday song. It has nothing to do with classic rock.

Also, (Don't Fear) The Reaper is one of the most fucking depressing songs in existence. I've always hated it anyway. If it hits me in the wrong mood, I even have nightmares about it. One time I actually sprained my ankle trying to get to the radio fast to turn it off. I know it's not supposed to be about suicide but, shit, it might as well be. And then the "more cowbell" thing that was picked up by every idiot who thought they could spout it and be funny made it all even worse.

There are years and years and years' worth of actual classic rock, and they don't play any of it. Hell, I barely hear any David Lee Roth-era Van Halen. I've never heard any Dio on those stations ever.

The thing that gets me about this is that this station is supposed to be legendary. WELL THEN START PLAYING SOME LEGENDARY SHIT.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 08:19 AM       
I think your first mistake was listening to commercial radio.

They program rigidly and to the lowest common denominator. I recommend internet radio. :/ I like Last.fm, but I like listening to a lot of different things and stuff I've never heard - not any one particular band at a single time.
Prepare for time warp.
ThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 08:44 AM       
If you have an Iphone or some other whozawhatzitz there's all kinds of apps for Last.FM and Pandora that are free and fucking awesome. Pandora got me into alot of different bands based on the songs I would search for.

I have to say, my dad has XM radio in his car and I am just amazed by how entertaining it is. I love it more than TV. There are so many different things on there. I just don't want another monthly bill.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 09:05 AM       
Sirius/XM is wonderful. They've got quality shit and a bajillion channels. Sometimes they have artist-specific channels. The Pearl Jam one was fucking great.
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 10:55 AM       
The only radio station I know of down here is NPR. I don't think we really have any.

In my friend's car sometimes when we were riding around at night we'd just flip around and eventually we came across something that must have been between two stations (though neither came in), so it would be static and sometimes garbled talking over weird music.

Once it was, like, carnival music. All faded and behind a lot of static. It was like something from a numbers station. At the time we were driving next to a river, it was pretty awesome, like something from a horror movie. Totally creepy.

Another time this happened, the song was "Man with the Harmonica" from Once Upon a Time in the West, which is a fucking awesome song. I wish I knew what that radio station was!
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 11:04 AM       
I don't think it's this station, coz they're in Jersey City, but it sounds like you came across an independent station.

http://wfmu.org/

They're not commercial and run on donations. They've even got an online feed.

EDIT: http://wfmu.org/wfmu.pls That's the live feed. They're playing some mad decent soul, at the moment.
Well Shit
creeposaurus is probably a spambot
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 01:34 PM       
The classic rock station I used to listen to would play Nirvana, Metallica, and Creed. They really don't classify as classic rock just yet. They too had a fetish for Blue Oyster Cult and Kid Rock. They didn't even have Johnny B in the mornings anymore.

That's why I had Pandora Radio as an android app and hooked it up to my radio. Fuck the radio.
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 12:22 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeposaurus View Post
The classic rock station I used to listen to would play Nirvana, Metallica, and Creed. They really don't classify as classic rock just yet. They too had a fetish for Blue Oyster Cult and Kid Rock. They didn't even have Johnny B in the mornings anymore.

That's why I had Pandora Radio as an android app and hooked it up to my radio. Fuck the radio.
92.5 KQRS in Minneapolis (home to the highest rated morning show in the country...eat shit stern!) has a massive library and plays all sorts of classic rock. Lately though i've noticed that during the overnights they've been slippin' in some Nirvana and other early 90's alternative. It's getting to that point where some of these bands/songs are hittin' 20 years now...
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 02:51 PM       
Most "Classic rock" stations play neither "classic" nor "rock" music.
teacup of sunshine
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 05:56 PM       
I used to listen to Jonathon Brandmeier when he was in Chicago on WLUP, eons ago.
The Glum Cunt
k0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contest
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 11:23 PM       
I listen to News Radio 590 KLBJ and that's it. I am fine with talk radio, even if they aren't saying stuff I like, at least it's all new. I can't really stand much of the crap they play on the radio. I'm fine with older 'classic' but the new stuff that they deem classic is all newer shit. Maybe I'm getting old.
Thrills and Oblongs
Shrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 06:21 AM       
There's one called Arrow Rock here, and although it does play the classicist of classic rock, they only seem to have about a days worth of music which they just shuffle endlessly. It gets to the point where you can predict what they'll play next.

I tend to listen to radio 2. :shame
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 12:57 PM       
i know of wmfu because of the blog.

i suppose it could have been an independent station out of asheville. that would make sense.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 04:12 PM       
God only knows how much music they've turned me onto. Their posts of rips of old 45's is fantastic. But I first heard of them through People Like Us and Do-Or-DIY.