Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Pentegarn Pentegarn is offline
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In a dystopian present
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 10:15 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrailx1 View Post
a short list of every day items i've been told will give me cancer. If I made a list of every day things that can simply "kill you" it would be very very long.

Deodorant
Bras
Coffee
Beer
Plastic containers
Styrofoam cups
Vitamin E (anti-oxidant?)
Talc Powder
Cell Phones
Potato Chips
Polyester
Used Motor Oil
Suntan lotion (fucking ironic huh?)
Here's a short list of everyday items that only effect those who choose to use them in terms of impact on physical health and that do not have a toxic exhaled by-product

Deodorant
Bras
Coffee
Beer
Plastic containers
Styrofoam cups
Vitamin E (anti-oxidant?)
Talc Powder
Cell Phones
Potato Chips
Polyester
Used Motor Oil
Suntan lotion

I have to laugh at the smokers counter argument "well item x causes cancer too, why aren't we bitching about that?" It is a very transparent attempt to draw attention away from the issue at hand. The fact is, none of you smokers would have this problem if you weren't so weak minded that you had to let yourself get addicted to smoking in the first place. All you had to do was turn down that first offered cigarette you chose (yes chose) to say yes to, and you would not be complaining about your freedom now because your freedom would be unaffected by smoking bans. You exercised your freedom of choice when you chose to take that first drag. Now your free choice has a consequence (consequences such as your addiction and control over your life and freedoms said addiction has such as forcing you outside to smoke)

Freedom of choice does not include freedom from personal responsibility.

Last edited by Pentegarn : Jul 10th, 2010 at 12:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
VaporTrailx1 VaporTrailx1 is offline
Nexus 7 Prototype
VaporTrailx1's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Beyond Hammerspace
VaporTrailx1 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 03:20 PM       
If you don't like what I'm doing, stay away. You have other places to go, I'm not forcing you to go where the smoke is. If I don't like the atmosphere of a place, I stay the fuck away, I don't try to tell someone to change their menu, pricing, furniture, clientel etc just because it makes me happy. I go somewhere else that fits me.


the irony is that this state somehow keeps getting closer to legalizing marijuana
__________________
............................
There remains time to create.
Create and escape.
Escape will make me god.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
kahljorn kahljorn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NO
kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 05:24 PM       
cause marijuana is superior to cigarettes in every way
__________________
NEVER
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Evil Robot Evil Robot is offline
hAS RUG-BURN
Evil Robot's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Non-trendy NYC enclave
Evil Robot is probably a spambot
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 07:04 PM       
OMG FLUORIDE CANCER OF THE TEETH TEEFS TOOTHKLESS JOE
WHERE DID YOU COME FROM WHERE DID YOU GFO
WHERE DID YOU COME FROM COTTON EYED JOE
__________________
"We're equally proud of our safety record. Not once in our nearly 50 years of operation has an animal pathogen escaped from the island."
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Pentegarn Pentegarn is offline
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In a dystopian present
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 01:06 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrailx1 View Post
If you don't like what I'm doing, stay away. You have other places to go, I'm not forcing you to go where the smoke is. If I don't like the atmosphere of a place, I stay the fuck away, I don't try to tell someone to change their menu, pricing, furniture, clientel etc just because it makes me happy. I go somewhere else that fits me.


the irony is that this state somehow keeps getting closer to legalizing marijuana
"If you don't like what I'm doing, stay away."?! Really? That is the stupidest reply I have ever heard.

Why not tell a rape victim they are at fault while you are at it?

Why not just say masturbating in public is OK then while you are at it?

May as well leagalize drinking and driving with your argument while we are at it.

After all, if you don't like seeing someone publicly masturbate, don't like getting raped, or don't like getting run over by drunk drivers, you should stay away

What you fail to get is if you have your way, people who don't want second hand smoke in their lives will never be allowed to go out in public again. That is what you seem to think is acceptable and equitable. All so you can feed your addiction to nicotine that you are too weak to fight. You smokers are all alike, the very idea that you might have to actually wait 1-2 hours to smoke is so terrifying a concept that you lose all sense of reason. You actually think the acceptable solution is for non smokers to be forced to never leave the confines of their home so you can smoke whenever you want. Is is not only extremely selfish, but it shows you have an overinflated sense of entitlement.

In my scenario, you have to wait a bit to smoke. But you can still smoke in appropriate places

In your scenario, all non smokers have to never go to any public place again if they want to breathe air that is not contaminated by your cancerous sludge.

Now do you understand how stupid the "stay away if you don't like it" argument is?

and one more thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrailx1 View Post
I don't try to tell someone to change their menu, pricing, furniture, clientel etc just because it makes me happy.
You are doing exactly that though. "More public places need to be smoking places, and if non smokers don't like it, they can stay away" is demanding the clientele be changed
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Zhukov Zhukov is offline
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov's Avatar
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tasmania
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 02:52 AM       
So I hear farting in elevators is going to be banned.

If you don't like what I'm doing, then go in another elevator. You have other places to go, I'm not forcing you to go where the farts are.

If I don't like the atmosphere of an elevator, I stay the fuck away.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Tadao Tadao is offline
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2002
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 07:25 PM       
AND WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO EAT IN THE SAME RESTAURANTS AS BLACKS?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
The Leader The Leader is offline
Is a RoboCop.
The Leader's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: How do you like these apples, Chojin?
The Leader is probably a real personThe Leader is probably a real person
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 07:27 PM       
LBJ
__________________
JUST DANCE!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Tadao Tadao is offline
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2002
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 07:35 PM       
Long Beach Jew?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
The Leader The Leader is offline
Is a RoboCop.
The Leader's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: How do you like these apples, Chojin?
The Leader is probably a real personThe Leader is probably a real person
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 09:20 PM       
The president.
__________________
JUST DANCE!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Tadao Tadao is offline
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2002
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 09:33 PM       
Obama is a Jew from Long Beach?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
The Leader The Leader is offline
Is a RoboCop.
The Leader's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: How do you like these apples, Chojin?
The Leader is probably a real personThe Leader is probably a real person
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 09:38 PM       
LYNDON BANES JOHNSON
__________________
JUST DANCE!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Pentegarn Pentegarn is offline
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In a dystopian present
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 09:43 PM       
Once upon a time, Thurgood Marshall walked in on in LBJ getting a blowjob from Ladybird. He was surprised, but said without missing a beat, "Well madame First Llady, I can see you put the BJ in LBJ"

The moral of this story is don't stand up on boats.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Dimnos Dimnos is offline
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baseball Town, TX
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 12:43 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
Here's a short list of everyday items that only effect those who choose to use them in terms of impact on physical health and that do not have a toxic exhaled by-product

Deodorant
Bras
Coffee
Beer
Plastic containers
Styrofoam cups
Vitamin E (anti-oxidant?)
Talc Powder
Cell Phones
Potato Chips
Polyester
Used Motor Oil
Suntan lotion

I have to laugh at the smokers counter argument "well item x causes cancer too, why aren't we bitching about that?" It is a very transparent attempt to draw attention away from the issue at hand.
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
The fact is, none of you smokers would have this problem if you weren't so weak minded that you had to let yourself get addicted to smoking in the first place. All you had to do was turn down that first offered cigarette you chose (yes chose) to say yes to, and you would not be complaining about your freedom air now because your freedom would be unaffected by smoking bans. You exercised your freedom of choice when you chose to take that first drag. Now your free choice has a consequence (consequences such as your addiction and control over your life and freedoms said addiction has such as forcing you outside to smoke)

Freedom of choice does not include freedom from personal responsibility.

Couldnt almost the same be said about non-smokers walking into bars where smoking is allowed.

The fact is, none of you non-smokers would have this problem if you weren't so weak minded that you had to let yourself get addicted to walked into a bar that allowed smoking in the first place. All you had to do was turn down that first offered cigarette bar you chose (yes chose) to say yes to, and you would not be complaining about your freedom air now because your freedom air would be unaffected by smoking bans. You exercised your freedom of choice when you chose to take that first drag walk into a smoky bar. Now your free choice has a consequence (consequences such as your addiction air and the smoke you supposedly chose not to breath and control over your life and freedoms said addiction has such as forcing you outside to smoke to a different bar)

Freedom of choice does not include freedom from personal responsibility.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuohlim View Post
Exactly. Life's too short to not be ejaculating as often as possible
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Dimnos Dimnos is offline
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baseball Town, TX
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 12:49 PM       
I think that any business owner should be allowed to chose whether they want to be a smoking establishment or not. If allowing people to smoke turns some customers away because they dont want to breath it in... So be it. If they loose smoking customers who go down the street to someplace that lets them smoke... So be it. Public and city buildings? Sure. Ban the shit out of it. Private businesses should have an option though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuohlim View Post
Exactly. Life's too short to not be ejaculating as often as possible
Reply With Quote
  #42  
The Leader The Leader is offline
Is a RoboCop.
The Leader's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: How do you like these apples, Chojin?
The Leader is probably a real personThe Leader is probably a real person
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 01:18 PM       
^This, because it's the American thing to do.^
__________________
JUST DANCE!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Tadao Tadao is offline
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2002
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 01:30 PM       
The law was put into effect for the health of the employees, not the customer. That is why you can still smoke in family run businesses.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Dimnos Dimnos is offline
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baseball Town, TX
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 03:16 PM       
Oh so there are some bar and restaurants you can smoke in? WTF are you smokers crying about then?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuohlim View Post
Exactly. Life's too short to not be ejaculating as often as possible
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Pentegarn Pentegarn is offline
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In a dystopian present
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 05:49 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimnos View Post
Couldnt almost the same be said about non-smokers walking into bars where smoking is allowed.

The fact is, none of you non-smokers would have this problem if you weren't so weak minded that you had to let yourself get addicted to walked into a bar that allowed smoking in the first place. All you had to do was turn down that first offered cigarette bar you chose (yes chose) to say yes to, and you would not be complaining about your freedom air now because your freedom air would be unaffected by smoking bans. You exercised your freedom of choice when you chose to take that first drag walk into a smoky bar. Now your free choice has a consequence (consequences such as your addiction air and the smoke you supposedly chose not to breath and control over your life and freedoms said addiction has such as forcing you outside to smoke to a different bar)

Freedom of choice does not include freedom from personal responsibility.

Tadao answered this perfectly when he said this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
The law was put into effect for the health of the employees, not the customer. That is why you can still smoke in family run businesses.
It all comes down to this: Does the thing I like to do effect the health and safety of others? If it does not, then it should be fine to do so, but if it does (smoking, drinking and driving, etc.) then there needs to be limits. Smoke at your home, smoke in your car, smoke in the designated area most places have for smokers, if you have a way to force the smoke out a window, smoke in your private office. But people are trying to eat, work, (though the bar one is the silliest example [one kind of carcinogen traded for another and all that] I add it in for completeness) and drink in these public restaurants. Private clubs exist for a reason, if smokers need someplace to smoke socially, make a club and do so there. Pipe smokers do it, cigar smokers do it, so why can't cigarette smokers do so?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Grislygus Grislygus is offline
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 06:38 PM       
oh man, i wish i could hop in and call anyone who bitched about cigarette smoke in a BAR a pussy, but i got a funny story on that subject; back in coos bay, the bar at the indian casino heavily encouraged smoking, but every time i ordered a scotch and lit up a cigar every single cigarette smoker that wasn't in my group would bitch loudly about MY smoking, so I'm not very sympathetic
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Grislygus Grislygus is offline
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 06:50 PM       
we would end up getting in bitter arguments about who'd had the longer week and therefore had more of a right to enjoy themselves, which is pretty fucking funny in retrospect

"look, BUDDY, i've had a long day, and i didnt come here to have you blow that shit in my face, okay PAL"

"i just got off work, it's my first day off in nine days, it's a smoking bar, and I'm going to drink and smoke my cigar and watch my friend play-"

"look, I don't CARE, allright, no one else is smoking that shit-"

"everyone in the whole goddamn place is smoking-"

"CIGARETTES, fuckwad!"

"Go smoke a couple packs and chill out, awright?"

"How old are you?"

"Fuck OFF"

"How old are you?"

"what the hell is wrong with you"

"How old are you, HUH? Fucking pencildick teenager on a fake id, HUH"

"I'm twenty one, jackass"

"And YOU'RE talking to ME? Put that thing out!"

"fuck off"





Good Times.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Tadao Tadao is offline
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2002
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 08:37 PM       
i hope you get ass cancer
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Colonel Flagg Colonel Flagg is offline
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 10:05 PM       
This entire thread makes me

I have an employee who had leukemia, went through a particularly heinous regimen of chemotherapy, is over 5 years clean, and yet still insists on taking a smoke break three times a day. I'm ashamed that I get on their sorry ass every time I get the opportunity, since my stepfather died a particularly slow and painful death of throat cancer becasue he couldn't stop smoking and drinking at the same time.

I have no sympathy.
__________________
The future is fun,
The future is fair.
You may already have won!
You may already be there.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

   


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:15 PM.


© 2008 I-Mockery.com
Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.