Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker

James sucks
Old May 24th, 2003, 04:06 PM        MST3K DVDs?
I thought someone (probably Jixby) said they couldn't make DVDs of the MST3K shows, because the companies who created the original films raised their prices for use of the movies.

But I see volumes 1, 2, and 3 for sale, not to mention various single DVDs. Are they just going to be select movies, or are they working on releasing every episode?
Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old May 24th, 2003, 04:32 PM       
I never said they wouldn't make DVDs, I said there will never be complete collections of the shows.

Volumes 1, 2, & 3 are all random episodes. There will never be season sets because yeah, the people who own the rights have raised their prices becuase 1) MST3K has made their movie more popular so they think its fair to ask for more money or 2) they don't want their film being made fun of. Sandy Frank, who produced all the Gamera films and pretty much just about half of the films featured in the third season is an example of number 2; in fact he was insulted by personal attacks made on the show (remember the "Sandy Frank" song?), so he jacked up the price so those episodes would never be seen on TV or video again.
Les Waste is probably a spambot
Old May 24th, 2003, 05:30 PM       
I remember the Sandy Frank song, which is surprising because I don't think I've seen a Sandy Frank movie episode of MST3K in years.
Bobo Adobo is funnier and smarter than all of you, proven by the fact that he is currently in a high-paying and important government job where he earns a fat cash paycheck and much pussy. How did he get so famous and successful you ask? It's simple: he has never, in his entire life, watched one second of anime.
- Outerspacekid
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 24th, 2003, 07:36 PM       
The same thing happened with the Amazing Colossal Man and its sequel; the guy who owned the rights to it threatened to sue or something if Best Brains ever released/showed those two episodes again, and they were forced to pull those tapes from stores.

If you ever get a chance to buy them somewhere, do it.
Mocker
Old May 24th, 2003, 08:02 PM       
I have it 8)

Yeah I was gonna bring that up, I think Rhino bought the rights to the movie without saying they were going to release it as the MST3k episode and got into legal trouble. Or maybe they just bought the rights to the episode and not the movie... But anyway I remember mst3kinfo.com had left over videos that were produced by rhino and sold them to members of the info club. That's how I got mine.
Resident Chimp
Old May 24th, 2003, 08:39 PM       
Yeah, the guy who owns the movies took it personally or something because they're, like, his favourite EVER.

Nothing says you love a movie more than buying the rights to it.
Resident Chimp
Old May 24th, 2003, 08:50 PM       
Oh yeah, I think they're also never allowed to release/show Mr. B Natural again, as well.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 24th, 2003, 09:05 PM       
That explains why the Sci-Fi channel shows the same 5 episodes over and over.

Anyway, I have ACM. I got it at a tag sale for like $3, and it's actually what got me into MST3K in the first place.
Resident Chimp
Old May 24th, 2003, 09:10 PM       
Sci-Fi only has the rights to Seasons 9 and 10, I believe, so that's all they CAN show.

On that note, the Space Station (Canada's version of Sci-Fi) came within an ass-hair's width of getting the rights to show MST3K, but some stupid laws about transfering rights across international borders fucked it all up.

In order to show MST3K episodes, a TV station has to negotiate for the MST part and the movie part, making it a royal pain in the dong.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old May 25th, 2003, 01:56 PM       
which is why we should share via internet all the mst3k stuff you can't buy, or see on tv, etc.

heck, share the rest of it too.
Mocker
Old May 26th, 2003, 01:01 AM       
you can get a list of the episodes that they are allowed to show on mst3kinfo.com

It looks like sci-fi is just going to show MST3K untill they legally can't any more.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old May 29th, 2003, 01:13 AM       
keep circulating the tapes

-willie
Resident Chimp
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:18 AM       
POTATOS ARE WHAT WE EAT!
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 02:33 PM       
Actually, the funny thing about the Sandy Frank debate is that Sandy Frank probably doesn't own the rights to his Gamera/Japanese stuff anymore either. After all that NAFTA stuff went down, all the rights for all that dubbed stuff went back to the original copyright holders in their respective countries. Meaning that Sandy Frank can take his bitterness and shove it: they're still in legal limbo, but considering you can buy a copy for nearly nothing, it's no real biggie. Plus you can download them for nothing.

And MST3K does now have the rights to a few of their shorts which includes Mr. B Natural. They just can't air War of the Colossal Beast which was the episode in which it was included. Sadly, most of Bert I. Gordon's films are for some reason not available: The Magic Sword was going to be released through Rhino but was cancelled and replaced by the Season One stinkfest The Crawling Hand, which Rhino had the rights to anyway. Which makes this more interesting is that Gordon is friendly with the MST3K crew to the extent of showing up at one of their conventions as a guest of honor and his grasshopper movie Beginning of the End is available as a MSTed movie both on VHS and DVD! Most likely the films are caught up like most American International movies in legal limbo due to different people holding different movies rights...this is also why Season 8's I was a Teenage Werewolf will probably never see the light of day, Sci-Fi Channel or otherwise.

Also, there are a few Season 8 episodes Sci-Fi still shows: Giant Spider Invasion was on a few weeks ago and still a few more turn up like Time Chasers, Space Mutiny, etc.