Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 02:39 PM        Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe
I apologize if there's already a 19 page thread on this lurking somewhere.

Anybody intend to see this? iknow it's a kids film, but I think it looks pretty damn good. I like C.S. Lewis, too.

Of course Disney had to go and blatantly market it to Christian groups, so now we'll have the same argument we did over the Passion, yet this time it'll be even more ridiculous, and with a talking lion who may be Jesus.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 03:43 PM       
it looks surprizingly epic from the trailers when i first saw them, i thought it was just about some posh english kids resisting the lures of turkish delight or something

Title
Jeff The Ninja is probably a spambot
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 04:27 PM       
That movie is going to Kick ass.
http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/...scene_1280.jpg
And that is one badass Wallpaper.

Founder of the E.P.O.A.E.P.I.C.A.P.H.W.H. Looking for Recruits

XBL Gamertag: KING HATESTAR

Lye is probably a spambot
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 04:40 PM       
i can't wait to see it.
i saw the animated one when i was a kid.
CHIEF OF POLICE
MLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty ok
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 10:46 PM       
the white which's hair was black, though. in the movie they have it as blonde.

i agree that it's going to turn into a passion arguement, which ticks me off. I own two copies of the narnia series just cause i like it that much (one's a collector's set). If they only do this movie and not the other 6, i'm going to be a bit more than miffed.

I would totally want to see Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:27 AM       
This movie looks like it will rock.

I think they made the witch's hair white because she's all icy. It's about imagery. :O
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:45 AM       
Kevin, are you honestly surprised that Disney is marketing this BLATANTLY CHRISTIAN story to Christian groups? I mean come on, it's not much of a stretch there.

I think the movie is going to fall flat because of the talking animals. Any time you have talking animals in a live-action movie it's going to look completely fucking ridiculous. It's going to be an unintentional comedy for that reason, and I hear that C.S. Lewis was completely against his work being turned into any sort of live-action movie because he knew how ridiculous it would look.
Rosenstern is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:39 AM       
I had to read this story in 3rd or 4th grade, and now I don't remember anything about it. At that time, we read it only as an adventure story and not as a Christian allegory. Of course, that never crossed our little minds back then. How much of a Christian story is it, really? What are all the symbolisms and such?
Whiter than Alabaster
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:54 AM       
hell, halo can be a christian allegory if you read hard enough into it

Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 12:35 PM       
Yeah, but Narnia is flat-out allegory. Doesn't Aslan practically go "LOL, BTW Im Jesus" at the end?

As for Lewis not being keen on live-action animals: this was back in the days when making lions talk involved felt and strings. Talking CGI animals may not look all that hot, but it's leaps and bounds better than what could have been accomplished in Lewis's days. If this movie runs into trouble, I'm sure expectations will be a much bigger factor than the animated Aslan. Primarily, this seems like a movie for kids, and I'm sure a lot of people are expecting a new Lord of the Rings.

I bet Tilda Swinton's gonna prove an awesome choice for the witch character, though.
Whiter than Alabaster
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 01:06 PM       
lol

isnt there 7 books or something, are there going to be movies for each one, or is this one the only one (or are some bunched togather or anything)

Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 01:11 PM       
No, this is only one book. The studio is shooting for a franchise.
Mocker
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 02:09 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoclown
Kevin, are you honestly surprised that Disney is marketing this BLATANTLY CHRISTIAN story to Christian groups? I mean come on, it's not much of a stretch there.
And your response is the reason I'm irritated with Disney. There are people out there who are already convinced that C.S. Lewis had some nefarious intentions to convert lots of little children to Christianity. Disney is only pandering to that feeling.

Quote:
I think the movie is going to fall flat because of the talking animals. Any time you have talking animals in a live-action movie it's going to look completely fucking ridiculous. It's going to be an unintentional comedy for that reason, and I hear that C.S. Lewis was completely against his work being turned into any sort of live-action movie because he knew how ridiculous it would look.
I think you're absolutely wrong, and who cares what Lewis said? You hear that kind of stuff all of the time, artists and writers opposed to anything being done with their work. Doesn't Stephen King still swear that he hasn't seen the original Shining? Which one would you pay to see, the one with Jack, or the made-for-TV one directed by King with the dude from Wings in it?

Plus, Lewis died long before he ever could've realized what would/could be done with computers and graphics and stuff. I think he'd maybe come around on this one.

Either way, whether it gets Lewis' posthumous blessing or not, I think it shall rock.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 02:23 PM       
I don't know man, I really think that Aslan is going to come across like Mister Ed, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

And WASN'T Lewis trying to convert a bunch of kids to Christianity with this story in the first place?
Mocker
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 03:00 PM       
No more or less than you could accuse Tolkien of, who was his Bible study pal. The reason nobody reads too far into LOTR is because the story fucking rules.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 03:11 PM       
Lewis wanted his story to be interpreted on "many different levels," whatever that's supposed to mean. Yeah, there's religious overtones in it, most of them a lot more obvious than LoTR, but I don't think that's going to affect the general perception of the movie.
Mocker
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 03:44 PM       
Everybody who writes fiction brings their own intellectual and philosophical baggage with them.

I think Lewis also gets a lot of flack because he was a very outspoken Christian writer in his other writings.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 05:27 PM       
For some reason a religious theme makes it worse. Would it become a better story if we found out that wasn't his original intention or something?
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 05:33 PM       
Just so you know, LotR is not an allegory for the bible. Tolkien himself flat-out said that, and added that he hated allegory in all of its forms.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 05:45 PM       
Nothing can touch the old BBC version. So awesome, yet so terrible. I bet this wil suck, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Mocker
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 05:47 PM       
Super, tell that to pat Robertson and the 700 Club, who had expert after expert on their program telling people why it was ok to see LOTR instead of Harry potter. :/

It's all about how deep you wanna read into these things. Tolkien and Lewis could both have said whatever they like, but both stories chronicle a very traditional storyline of good versus evil, blah blah....
ˇOlé!
xbxDaniel is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 08:11 PM       
I was told LoTR was a satire on world war II i.e. Tree people americans, the men european, the drawves ruskies, the men of the east the Japs, the orcs germany. There are others but I need to talk to my history teacher to remember any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dudefather
hell, halo can be a christian allegory if you read hard enough into it
And while our leader Master Cheif led the chosen marines into the temple of the evil ones he blessed his bullets and they shot true and fast. The covenant heretics ran in cowardice as the Master shot their asses. Then the flood (who control all things media and the money) ate his ass.
I hated The Library.

I really have no intention of seeing this movie, there was something else I wanted to watch but I don't remember what it is now.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:35 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Super, tell that to pat Robertson and the 700 Club, who had expert after expert on their program telling people why it was ok to see LOTR instead of Harry potter. :/
I was commenting to Proto and others who seem reluctant to even risk liking this based on the religious undertones.

Tolkien also flat out said that SpectreX is full of shit.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:47 PM       
I only saw a moment's flash of the animals in the commercials, but I thought they looked pretty good. :/

And I don't really give a shit about the Christian overtones but for the fact that every time this happens the story becomes ridiculously predictable.
noob 4eva
maggiekarp is probably a spambot
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 01:20 AM       
I don't like the commercials that say the story is destined to become a classic, like it isn't one already :/

I read the first one a long time ago, but lost the second book and therefore never finished the series