Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 11:39 AM        martial arts
I've been interested in taking a martial arts course, but I don't know the difference between tae kwon do or judo or what the fuck ever the other things are. I'm mostly looking for one that focuses more on exercise. What kind should I look in to?
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 12:01 PM       
I studied Tae Kwon Do for over 3 years (stopped when I left Virginia for Los Angeles - definitely need to get back into it sometime soon). Well if you want a full body workout I'd definitely recommend Tae Kwon Do or Kung Fu or any martial art that involves a lot of movement like that. Arts such as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Aikido, while they can be very practical, won't give you nearly as good a workout as something like TKD or Kung Fu.

In addition to the workout and useful skills, I found TKD to be extremely good for flexibility.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 01:43 PM       
tae kwon do would be better for exercise probably like mock was saying(i was really flexible when i took it too it was great to be able to kick people in the face). You do alot of kicks and punches and sit around doing it all day usually, lots of cardio.
Judo is grappling, it has a lot of throws and takedowns etc. if i remember right it's also somewhat difficult because it's supposed to be flowing/fluid. You probably wouldn't get much (or as much) exercise doing that. You'd probably learn how to beat someones ass best in judo though.
Although learning the sensitive parts of the human body in taekwondo is cool. I remember we had this dummy that had the points on the body that will cause the most damage if you hit them marked. That was kind of fun.
However, most martial arts instructors will make you do some exercises though, regardless of whatever the techniques are.

if you want good exercise I'd also reccomend you take samurai sword lessons if you can find them. That shit is sohard. There's moves where you're sitting on your knees (legs are tucked under you) and you have to jump up and attack from that position. It's really hard, just try to do that. Other than that using a sword is pretty damned easy once you understand it's fluidity and how it cuts/works.
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 04:13 PM       
Judo is a passive martial art, I was in it for about 4 years. Its all about learning how to make people larger than you hit the ground without physically hurting them with punches and kicks. Its pretty disorienting when you throw a punch and the next thing you know your arm is dislocated and your lying on your back whit someones elbow crushing your windpipe.
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 06:52 PM       
so that's what happened to you.
adept_ninja is probably a spambot
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 07:28 PM       
All martial arts instructors will make you do some type of exercise but I would go with mauy thai, brazillian jiu-jitsu or boxing because they are the most practical in my opinion. Another option is systema (russian spetznats fighting system), and another one is krav maga which is a good realistic fighting system.

Ive done BJJ for about 3 years now
wrestled for 11 years
boxed for 4 years

wrestling is the best for getting in shape but if your out of school then it might be a bit hard to find a club.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 07:37 PM       
I've actually wanted to try boxing and/or muay thai because it looks like a lot of fun. BJJ is very practical, unless you're being attacked by more than 1 person, in which case, it's basically useless. In the end, the best thing anybody can do (in my opinion) is learn a variety of styles so you can be a well-rounded fighter.
Resident Lurker
DuFresne is probably a spambot
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 08:24 PM       
Or carry a gun.

Pickled Patriarch
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 08:32 PM       
Yeah, cuz that's great exercise 'n all.
Resident Lurker
DuFresne is probably a spambot
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 08:37 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery
I've actually wanted to try boxing and/or muay thai because it looks like a lot of fun. BJJ is very practical, unless you're being attacked by more than 1 person, in which case, it's basically useless. In the end, the best thing anybody can do (in my opinion) is learn a variety of styles so you can be a well-rounded fighter.
You were clearly talking about combat, not excercise, in this post.

Mocker
zeldasbiggestfan suckszeldasbiggestfan sucks
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 09:50 PM       
Wrestling is really awesome if your trying to loose weight. I lost 3 pounds in one week and 7 pounds all together on my high school team before I got taken out. And no it wasnt because I got kicked out because Im fat. It was because my parents wanted me to "Focus more on school and not get hurt".

Its still a really badass sport. Even though I really hurt my shoulder blade from it.

It also relies alot on your arms strength when you are in the down position or top position. Especially if your on the bottom. You really are going to want to be able to get the hell out of that position and/or reverse it for a point. And if you get out (Its an escape) you get 2 points. So it feels really good not only physically by emotionally as well when you get those points.

You also (at practice) do alot of running. So yeah you better be good at that and hope you dont have an asthsma attack. The minimum we did was 55 sprints accross the gym. It sucks ass at the time but it actually really helps.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 11:04 PM       
adept_ninja is probably a spambot
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 09:56 PM       
yeah i was training today and ate a knee to the face needed 7 stiches right below my eyebrow i didnt even notice that i cut it until i looked around and everyone was looking at me saying "HOLY SHIT" and blood was gushing out of my face.
Mocker
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 10:01 PM       
Your such a fucking prick gus.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 10:11 PM       
Emu my man you should try some Tae-Bo with good ol' Billy Blanks! Get his "Believers" series, which contains prayers to help strengthen the bond between you and Jesus Christ! Check it out http://www.amazon.com/Tae-Bo-Believe...e=UTF8&s=video

And here's a helpful review!:

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6...eligionpx6.jpg

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 11:33 PM       
What zelda, you think I'm kidding? I've been in wrestling, I know those crazy motherfuckers. Just be glad you only lost an arm, that cup is there for a reason.
Mocker
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:06 AM       
I know. I thought you were making fun of me? I dont know. I felt like cussing. But I didnt get it crushed by his foot... Oh no not his foot... IT WAS HIS WHOLE FUCKING BODY. Hes like 200 pounds too and Im only 160 so I was like FECK. Its hurting right now so yeah. Its probably gonna be like this for awhile.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:49 AM       
Woo! Muay thai! If you can find a muay thai gym I totally suggest getting into that, but I'm completely biased. I just got back from three months in the Thai tropics kicking over defenseless banana trees and running over mountains. Best three months of my life.
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 02:39 PM       
I would also reccomend Tae Kwon Do. It definately will give you a good workout. Just make sure not to over-do it on your first class, or youll be fucking sore the next day.
Captain Bukakke
Tropical is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 01:24 PM       
Learn Hapkido
Banned

Idi Amin is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 05:23 AM       
While I was in the British Colonial Army, from 1951-1960 I was a heavyweight boxing champ. That kept me in great shape, but once I left I did everything like I was still boxing, except the work out part, and I just kind of turned to mush.
IWORKFORTHEMAN:MAN
Misdemonar is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:59 PM       
Yeah, I also fought a tiger with my bare hands,
MAMA MIA!
Terra is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 11:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idi Amin View Post
While I was in the British Colonial Army, from 1951-1960 I was a heavyweight boxing champ. That kept me in great shape, but once I left I did everything like I was still boxing, except the work out part, and I just kind of turned to mush.
yeah since you've had the minions do your shit work for you
Banned

Idi Amin is probably a spambot
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:48 PM       
duh thats what minions do