Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Freelance Product Tester
BurntToShreds is probably a spambot
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 10:57 PM       
Melee combat works the best on super mutants. Most of them have hunting rifles, and won't bother with melee when you get at point blank range. They'll just try to keep on shooting you, while you wail away on them with a sledgehammer. The Yao Guai (bear mutants) are extremely vicious. They're the main reason I keep dying.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 10:36 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
Just got back from playing this a lot more, and my opinion has really improved! Probably because I haven't talked to many friendly NPCs at all.

I use the VATS system all the time, and it's super satisfying. The brief fight where you help out the brotherhood of steel was cool as shit, too, and is really making me look forward to getting some cronies. The stealth system also reminds me a lot of MGS - where you can actually hide again after being spotted, or pop off several shots from cover if your target will have difficulty spotting you even after you fire.

Basically, melee combat and NPC interaction is 99% the same as oblivion, everything else is pretty new and great. Unfortunately, the first 2 hours of the game are ALL melee combat and NPC interaction, and it made me throw up a little in my mouth.
I found several pistols, sniper rifles, assault rifles, and an abundance of ammo for all of them within 30 minutes of being out of the vault.
Nexus 7 Prototype
VaporTrailx1 is probably a spambot
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 02:23 PM       
well yah there's a bunch of it but later on the raiders seem to sdtop carrying a lot of ammo
Escape will make me god.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 08:02 PM       
Spoilers!

Quote:
I found several pistols, sniper rifles, assault rifles, and an abundance of ammo for all of them within 30 minutes of being out of the vault.
Yes and how long does it take to get out of the vault if you aren't speedrunning it? Somewhere betwen 9 and 52 years. Also, you don't really find anyone other than random battles to use the shit on for quite a while.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 08:18 PM       
I was also pretty disappointed by the lack of any big towns, like the hub, NCR, or even really the Den. All of the towns seem to have about 10 residents total, and I'd only found a couple of towns in the first place. Megaton was probably the biggest, and that place is about as big as an apartment.

I also thought it was really, really queer that I couldn't just shoot my way into the kiddie town, because my character literally will not ready a gun; THEY know in their heart of hearts that it's just wrong.
was never good
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 08:25 PM       
Overall the game has a lot more in common with fallout 1 in that you have a goal that's defined from pretty early on, it can be over in an instant, without any real warning, and you have all these weapons, armor, skills, and loose quest ends that can't get wrapped up because it would have been inconvenient for their ending to make sense.

:nerdrage

Spoilers!
Nexus 7 Prototype
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 11:13 PM       
Yah, but you don't have a time limit like Fallout 1 at least. Hopefully they'll make a expansion or hopefully a Fallout 4. BTW does the Gauss rifle appear anywhere in the game? I didn't see it on the weapon list.
Escape will make me god.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 11:18 PM       
You're already done? What the fuck is with these short games? I don't care if there's a shitload of side-quests; the main quest in these big, sprawling RPGs should be longer.

That was very funny. Well done.
Nexus 7 Prototype
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 02:29 AM       
How many hours did it take you?
Escape will make me god.
was never good
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 06:56 AM       
I'd guess around 10 hours, max? But again, I wasn't even trying to beat the game, and I barely fast-travelled anywhere.

No gauss rifle that I saw, also the .223 pistol wasn't in it, and that was my favorite gun from Fallout 1 and 2
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:27 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
You're already done? What the fuck is with these short games? I don't care if there's a shitload of side-quests; the main quest in these big, sprawling RPGs should be longer.
It´s pretty easy to ignore the main quest if you want...I´m at 16-20 hours and I did...hmm...3 Parts of the main quest.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 02:21 PM       
The absence of the .223 pistol does suck, but a lot of the other weapons sound really cool.

That was very funny. Well done.
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 05:25 PM       
Level 18 now and my favorite weapon is still the Hunting Rifle, beating out pretty much every other weapon in the game. The feel of it is just visceral.

Did anyone else get the R&D armor? I think it's the strongest in the game, but Deathclaws still plow through it like it's nothing. There's gotta be something better?

Also, is there any way to repair my shit without grabbing someone else's shit and crudely affixing it to my own? I'm tired of asking Moira to fix all my stuff when she has a repair skill of ~30 and mine is around 80.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM       
Having beat everything in four days, I traded it in. The mistake I made was expecting it to be more than Oblivion with guns. It was never revealed to me who to give the ears or fingers to. Also, the best part of the game was seeing Fawkes the second time, (providing you saved him.) The endgame was shit, the buggiest thing I've ever played. Fuckin' robot had the shakes.

I got back $40. I think I'll go get Dead Space and a brand new PS3 to play it on.
Nexus 7 Prototype
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 09:44 PM       
my major complaint is lack of large towns like in the first 2. I like exploring the map but I'd like some large populated areas. They put in enough rubble and broken houses they could have made one or two heavily inhabited cities.

I liked the original Van Buren concept of NCR and the BoS at war with each other.
Escape will make me god.
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:56 AM       
Well, I beat it.

Spoilers!
drifting in the void
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 02:55 AM       
I do have a problem with the world itself in Fallout 3. Look at it. It is supposed to be 200+ years after the disaster, yet all humanity manages to do is grab some scrap metal and about 4 houses and just sit around, waiting to die? That´s the impression I have. There is NO sign of a rebuilding society.

If a group of people were forced to live in a barren wasteland for 10+ years, the area they live in would look totally different. There would be no rubble and debris everywhere, no wooden leftover parts of houses with parts of roof sticking out of the ground. There would be at least traces of agriculture. Just look at Megaton for example. 50+ years of people living there and all they managed to cobble together are those filthy sheds any group of refugees can build better within a week? Come on.

I don´t demand realism from a Videogame, but they should have made it something like 10-20 years after the disaster and then make up some strange explanation why the radiation is low enough to survive. But 200 years? No Sir.

But if I ignore this major flaw, I really do like the game, it´s fun so far (16 hours). I do wish, that I could mod the guns though, but you can´t have everything I guess.
Nexus 7 Prototype
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 03:18 AM       
Yah. it is a far cry from NCR, The Hub, Vault City, New Reno and the like.
Escape will make me god.
John Freeman! Over here!
Maxilor is probably a spambot
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 04:50 PM       
Hows it going everyone just rolled into town so be nice.

Spoilers!

And if you dont want to have spoilers the main point that I was saying is Ending was Dumb but didint bother me.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 08:11 AM       
I was also dissappointed with the end. But I did get the "he lived up to his father's ideals"/footssteps/blah blah blah. I fought through with Sentinel Lyons.

The one thing that disappointed me more than anything else was the fact that you can't kill children. You do get to see a Lamplighter's head explode, though.
Nexus 7 Prototype
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 10:35 AM       
I miss the 90's when games were made by true nerds, not professionals. When the game would talk shit to you for quitting, you could kill children, and there would be random one-liners and Monty Python references.
Escape will make me god.
John Freeman! Over here!
Maxilor is probably a spambot
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 12:02 PM       
Yeah, I would love to kill children, especially with the cannibal perk!
drifting in the void
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 02:41 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrailx1 View Post
I miss the 90's when games were made by true nerds, not professionals. When the game would talk shit to you for quitting, you could kill children, and there would be random one-liners and Monty Python references.
Sadly, today games are made by people who´s job it is to make games. Not people who make games, because they love to play games. I know I am a Golden-Time-Troll but: Those times are indeed over and they´ll never come back. The time from the late 80s to the mid 90s were great, may they rest in piece and dignity.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 03:14 AM       
Finished the game a couple days ago (main story). Have 670 of the achievement points currently. Got it on 360 and PC. Both have the same achievements sadly.

Some spoilers maybe?

Was rather saddened that leveling stopped at 20 as I've been doing misc stuff for hours without any xp gain. Loaded with caps at least.

The ending was classic Fallout.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 03:59 AM       
Spoilers!