Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 09:15 AM        Poor Weird Al
Source: http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004...19_55_164_9_04

Parody star's parents die in Fallbrook

By: JO MORELAND - Staff Writer

FALLBROOK ---- The elderly parents of parody recording star "Weird Al" Yankovic were found dead of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning Friday in their modest Fallbrook home.

An investigator from the county medical examiner's office identified the couple as Nick and Mary Yankovic and said they lived in the house at 226 Foxfire Lane.

A blaze had been in a fireplace in the hillside house when three family members discovered the couple about 1 p.m., said sheriff's Sgt. Conrad Grayson, a fire investigator.

"The house was full of smoke when they opened the door," Grayson said. "We examined the fireplace. They were burning wood. They (family) had found the flue closed. They opened it."

Shocked neighbors on the rural one-block street on a green hillside described the Yankovics as "sweethearts," nice people who were proud of their son.

"Everybody who came to the neighborhood knew Nick," said John Buehman, who lives across the street. "They're going to be missed, big time."

Attempts to reach "Weird Al" Yankovic through his New York-based booking agency, BookingEntertainment.com, Friday were unsuccessful. The winner of the Grammy Award for Best Comedy Album in 2003 for his "Poodle Hat" album was scheduled to appear in Appleton, Wis., on Friday as part of the tour for the album.

The Yankovics' relatives went to the house in this rural North County hamlet because they hadn't seen the couple for a while and they were concerned, Grayson said. Neighbors said Mary Yankovic's sisters live nearby.

When the relatives discovered the bodies, Grayson said, they called the authorities.

San Diego County sheriff's patrol Deputies Joe Hammer and Richard Berry and the North County Fire Protection District responded at 1:05 p.m. to a report of smoke inside the residence and two dead adults in the home.

Paramedics found 86-year-old Nick Yankovic in a chair in the front living room and his 81-year-old wife lying on the bathroom floor, authorities said.

Sheriff's fire investigators were called to investigate the incident and determine exactly what caused the smoke, Grayson said.

Joe Fedorchak, a neighbor and owner of Fallbrook's popular El Jardin Restaurant, said the couple were "very sweet people."

"They were not particularly active in the community in recent years," Fedorchak said. "Nick just loved being outdoors enjoying nature and his little fruit garden."

Mary Yankovic liked to garden and work with plants, but had not been able to do much in the last few months, he said. Buehman said she has not been well recently.

"They were just really enjoying their retirement and having a quiet life," Fedorchak said.

The Yankovics had lived at the little house for more than a dozen years.

The two-bedroom, one-bathroom home was built in 1978 and its registered owner is a T.R. Yankovic, according to property records. It was previously listed in the name of Nick and Mary Yankovic.

"He would always tell me when and where his son was performing," Buehman said about Nick Yankovic. "Very proud of his son. He was always joking around. That's probably where Alfred got his sense of humor."

Known to his parents as Alfred Matthew Yankovic, the man the world knows as "Weird Al" Yankovic was born in 1959 in Lynwood, a suburb of Los Angeles. Buehman said the family lived there after Army veteran Nick Yankovic became a civilian.

"I know he was very proud of his duty in World War II," Buehman said. "Their son was a caring son, too. He would have a limousine come pick them up for film shoots."

He said Nick Yankovic was "so tickled" when his son married in 2001 "and he was going to have grandchildren." Granddaughter Nina Yankovic was born in February 2003.

"Nick said he'd waited a long time (for grandchildren)," said Buehman. "Nick was someone that everybody in the neighborhood knew and liked. When you met him, you just fell in love with him.

"He'd say, 'What a beautiful day. It's so nice to be alive.' I'd say, 'Nick, you're going to live a long time.' "

Staff writers Mark Walker and Anne Riley-Katz contributed to this story.
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 09:27 AM       
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 09:29 AM       
awww, that's terrible
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 09:32 AM       
recently they played a biography of Al and I gained even more respect for him... feel for his loss
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 09:51 AM       
The Polka King is dead.
Queen of the Beasts
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 09:53 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly345
The Polka King is dead.
What? Go back and actually read the article this time.
Slim Goodbody
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 09:59 AM       
Weird Al's dad was the polka king. Don't question me.
Queen of the Beasts
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 10:20 AM       
Frank Yankovic, aka the Polka King, was not related to Weird Al, and he died in 1998 anyway. His father's name was Nick Yankovic.

Once again, read the article.
Slim Goodbody
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 10:30 AM       
I was told that was his Father. Anyway, I coulden't have learned that from the article.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I stand corrected. My own words for breakfast and all of that.
Dirty Girl
Matt Harty is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 11:31 AM       
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 02:27 PM       
Holy fuck

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 02:34 PM       
Oh shit
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 02:41 PM       
that's awful
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 04:10 PM       
oh fuck that sucks

-willie
ProfessorCool is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 04:14 PM       
Man, and he lost both of them
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 04:42 PM       
i have a concert dvd and they came out before it started

-willie
Mocker
Cap'n Crunch is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 04:45 PM       
At least they lived long lives.
OH GOD
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 04:50 PM       

nick and mary you are missed

-willie
Mocker
Mike is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 05:04 PM       
Lots of old parents die all the time. Do you miss all of them? Jeez.
OH GOD
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 05:09 PM       
lots of internet message boards get posts all the time do you have to be an enormous faggot in all of them

-willie
OH GOD
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 05:10 PM       
and yes i do miss all old people who die

-willie
ProfessorCool is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 05:10 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Lots of old parents die all the time. Do you miss all of them? Jeez.
It's because of them we got weird al, you chucklefuck.

Did mcClain let you speak?
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 05:24 PM       
Oh man...to lose both parents at once like that has got to suck.
Mocker
Mike is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 06:07 PM       
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 06:32 PM       
HOLY HOT DAMN!
That must suck for both of them to go like that

Chucklefuck