Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fuzzball
XtinaxFan is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 08:26 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangie View Post
what does that mean my friend?
People think you're obsessed with a band when you post threads about them - apparantly.
Meant as a reply to a friend who was like "you love Rammstein too much, they're not perfect y'know"
No disrespect meant!
Do you have a song you dislike?
That damn kid
Hangie is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 08:41 PM       
I dislike the song "Santa Fay" in the film "Newsies"
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 08:43 PM       
I only remember one Rammstein song, that Du Hast song. It's fun to sing in kareoke when you're really drunk.
I was like Xtina in the fact that I used Rammstein in my german class (sadly more than a decade ago) for a report on german entertainment. But 'm a Rammstein poser since I only know the one song.
Give Me Black Summer.
Dommin is probably a spambot
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 06:59 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtinaxFan View Post
I did a presentation about Columbine and used Rammstein clips (cited as an influence, I argued against).
Go on Wikipedia's Rammstein page, if the school give you hassle quote their official statement about the incident ("could not have caused it").
Or just start singing Weisses Fleiss - lyrics include "you in the schoolyard, shoot to kill".
Depends on whether your tactics are offensive or defensive

A) It's Weisses Fleisch. Means "White Flesh".

B) It's:

"You, in the schoolyard, I am ready to kill,
And no one knows of my loneliness."

The song is about a perverted sex act, not murder. Which is the case for almost every Rammstein song, actually.
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 12:57 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dommin View Post
The song is about a perverted sex act, not murder. Which is the case for almost every Rammstein song, actually.
In the case of most germans I know everything's about a perverted sex act....
That damn kid
Hangie is probably a spambot
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 03:24 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore Is God View Post
In the case of most germans I know everything's about a perverted sex act....

Even making a PB&J !?
Egg
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 03:31 PM       
You'd be surprised...especially if there are feet involved.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 12:18 AM       
I guess Rammstein is still a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. Rosenrot totally sucked though, I have no idea why they decided to take all the tracks not good enough for Reise, Reise and try to stand them up on their own.

I've seen them live twice, once in 1998 and then in 2001. As a 14-year-old watching them with my older sister, the stage theatrics when Till simulated the rape of Flake for the song "Bück Dich" with a power-loaded 12-inch phallus were somewhat awkward.

I met them before the show in 2001 and I asked them, in stuttering German, to play the song "Feuerräder". They weren't amused.

I'd say that I used to have them on a pedestal because they were "my band", I listened to them years before anyone else had heard of them, I had to defend them throughout the Columbine fallout, yadda yadda. Nowadays, I think that they do have a tendency to get rather formulaic. I remember at one point noticing that most of the songs on Sehnsucht had basically the same musical structure as every Wesley Willis song. They're really at their best when they write a song that keeps changing directions. Hence, my favorite songs of theirs would have to be Heirate Mich, Adios, and Mein Teil along with the formulaic ones like Kokain, Engel, and Du Riechst so Gut.

All in all, I'd have to say that Mutter is their best album. When Mutter came out, I could easily prognosticate that their fourth album (to come three or so years later) would follow on the trend of sounding ever less organic and far more calculated. I thought that going this direction from Herzeleid to Sehnsucht was a bad thing, yet from Sehnsucht to Mutter is became a good thing. Surprisingly, Reise, Reise had for me basically the same feel as Mutter, it just wasn't undertaken well or as consistently.

While I do like the title track, Rosenrot managed to invoke the spirit of Rammstein that I first grew to love as an early teenager while using it so poorly that the album is almost unlistenable.

As far as other "similar" groups go, I tried to give Megaherz a listen and found them abjectly idiotic. At the 2001 Rammstein show, they had people passing out Megeherz fliers that were like, "Do you like GERMAN LYRICS? Do you like METAL? Do you like BEER? Then you'll LOVE Megaherz!"

The other German band that I adore is called Die Toten Hosen. Up until the mid-90s (they've been around for a long, long time) they were distinctly punk, and while most people still call them punk they've certainly evolved into a very universally pleasurable form of it that just seems like generic rock. Their really is no way to convey how fucking amazing DTH is, whether for their socially conscience anthems or their gut-wrenching emotional catharsis or their elegies to drinking and fucking. It's frustrating because they'd be bigger than U2, I think, if people had the patience to learn their lyrics.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Give Me Black Summer.
Dommin is probably a spambot
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 03:12 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethomas View Post
The other German band that I adore is called Die Toten Hosen.
Die Toten Hosen is pretty decent. I've never been able to really get into them, though. On the upside, they did make it into Guitar Hero 3.

And I liked Rosenrot. It wasn't the best Rammstein record by any means, it's still quite nice...very sing along-y.
Fuzzball
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 04:48 PM       
[quote=Sethomas;542248]I guess Rammstein is still a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. Rosenrot totally sucked though, I have no idea why they decided to take all the tracks not good enough for Reise, Reise and try to stand them up on their own.
I've seen them live twice, once in 1998 and then in 2001.

Yeah Rosenrot isn't a favourite of mine either. They said about Rosenrot coming out so soon after Reise Reise that it was like when a baths hot enough for two washes.
Yeah but they forgot that the water becomes dirty by the second time around, Rosenrot was a weaker album.
I'd love to see them live, I missed my chance in 2005
kitatsdiuqil
liquidstatik is probably a spambot
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 04:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtinaxFan View Post
They said about Rosenrot coming out so soon after Reise Reise that it was like when a baths hot enough for two washes.
Yeah but they forgot that the water becomes dirty by the second time around
they set themselves up for that pretty gooodd
Fuzzball
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 10:57 AM       
Found a cool remix today: Buch Dich with the Prodigy's Voodoo People.
Works surprisingly well considering Buch is such a harsh sounding song.
A Total Fairy
Trash is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 07:46 PM       
I don't like Rammstein because every song I've heard from them sounded like Just One Fix with more synths and nazimongering about gay rape.
The Lion King seemed innocent enough, didn't it? But did we really notice all the issues of assault on morality and ethics the first time we watched it? I sure did not. It was not until I sat down with a pragmatic open mind did I even realize the scope of moral violations the 83-minute The Lion King fed our minds.
BlackHexen is probably a spambot
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 03:51 PM       
Aaaahhh, Germany, Finland's allie in WW2. Yeah i Like all kind of industrial metal, and Rammstein is at the top of the genre. Wisted lyrics and militaristic sounds are just great. My favourite song is "Stripped".

Other similar bands: Lacrimosa (gothic industrial rock Fron Germany), Death stars (Gothic industrial from Sweden, very similar to rammstein, but sings in english), Laibach (A classic of militaristic industrial from slovenia, sings some sings german-language), Eisbrecher and Megahertz (Both from Germany and pretty similar to Rammstein, but i don't like them, kinda poor sound).
Bod is probably a spambot
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 06:27 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dommin View Post
I've never seen anyone dance to Rammstein..
oh I hAVE!! I went to K17 club in Berlin last December. Three floors of alternative/metal/industrial stuff. I happened to visit when they had Rammstein night on the second floor. Lots of Germans singing, shaking fists, dancing, waving arms about and gesticulating angrily. A sight I'll not forget for some time. Every single song Rammstien has ever done I'll wager. It was rather a lot.