Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 09:55 AM        BUSH SPEECH
Okay, here's my big question about the speech last night.

Well, second big question, the first one is simply, that was all good talk, how much are we going to do?

Anyway... My reading of the speech is the W seems to think that Katrina uncovered the terrrible problem of poverty in our country, and that prior to this disaster he didn't know about it, and there's an underlying asumption that this is true for all of us. Sort of like the faulty intelligence about WMD, everybody thought the Iraqis had WMD so everybody was wrong about it. No one knew there was serious poverty in the USA.

Well... that's pretty clueless, and it's even more clueless to admit in a speech you had no idea there were people in America having a tough time getting by. But the New bankruptcy law is going to make it harder. And the unaffordability of health insurance makes it harder. And a refusal to have an energy policy that would reduce our reliance on oil makes it harder. And for every policy that's made it harder to be poor, and every policy that's made it easier to become poor, there ahve been policies which made it easier to be rich. No one denies that durng his presidency the gap between the rich and poor in this country has grown dramatically.

So; now that he's aware there are poor people in this country and it's a problem, what chnages is he going to make? Will he ask that we as a country make sacrifices for the good of our nation? Anyone can read a speech. Now what?
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 10:40 AM       
I missed it. Night class.

My boss came in today though and was sort of jokingly like "He sounded like Lyndon Johnson!"

I need to read the transcript, but was it sort of like the inauguration speech, a lot of talk that may never come about, or was it more detailed?
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 10:49 AM       
Anybody remember when the elder President Bush went into the supermarket and was fascinated by those crazy space-age scanning machines at the checkout?

I swear, just cuz you are filthy stinking rich doesn't mean you have to lose all touch with the average person's reality, does it?

Maybe it does. I'm totally out of touch with the lifestyle of the average person in the world, what with my air-conditioning and fancy computers and cars that are newer than 20 years old.

I don't know where I'm going with this.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:31 AM        Re: BUSH SPEECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
So; now that he's aware there are poor people in this country and it's a problem, what chnages is he going to make?
He'll declare that being poor is a mental illness.

Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:20 PM       
"Anybody remember when the elder President Bush went into the supermarket and was fascinated by those crazy space-age scanning machines at the checkout?"

The actual reality of that was that he hadn't seen a scanner at his old supermarket, not that he hadn't seen a scanner. As much as the elder sucked, the press did spin that shit.