Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 12:53 PM        Chavez: U.S. Plans to Invade Venezuela
Operation "Balboa."

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/venezuela

Chavez: U.S. Plans to Invade Venezuela

Sat Sep 17, 7:24 AM ET

WASHINGTON - Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said Friday he has documentary evidence that the United States plans to invade his country.

Chavez, interviewed on ABC's "Nightline," said the plan is called "Balboa" and involves aircraft carriers and planes. A transcript of the interview was made available by "Nightline."

He said U.S. soldiers recently went to Curacao, an island off Venezuela's northwest coast. He described as a "lie" the official U.S. explanation that they visited Curacao for rest and recreation.

"They were doing movements. They were doing maneuvers," Chavez said, speaking through a translator.

He added: "We are coming up with the counter-Balboa plan. That is to say if the government of the United States attempts to commit the foolhardy enterprise of attacking us, it would be embarked on a 100-year war. We are prepared."

Chavez has been attending the summit of world leaders at the United Nations in New York this week. On Thursday, he denounced the U.S.-led war in Iraq and told other leaders they should consider moving the U.N. headquarters out of the United States.

To prove U.S. intentions to invade Venezuela, Chavez offered to send "Nightline" host Ted Koppel maps and other documentation.

"What I can't tell you is how we got it, to protect the sources, how we got it through military intelligence," he said.

In the event of a U.S. invasion, Chavez said the United States can "just forget" about receiving any more oil from his country.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 02:47 PM       
What, doesn't everybody go to the beach with C4 and night vision googles?
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 03:00 PM       
Well, yeah, here's my take on this. I think it's quite possible that we are running some sort of operations on this guy. But I think that is faaaaar away from any kind of an "invasion." First of all, there's NO WAY the president could pull it off politically at this time. Secondly, Why do it? To go free up some oil? Eh, more hassle than it's worth, IMO.

And you have to appreciate the great irony in it all, that he can go to our free press and basically tell ABC that our rotten country is going to invade his. Do you think President Bush could get away with that in Venezuela???
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 03:48 PM       
He can also claim a politcal victory when we don't invade. Just claim he exposed our plans and we had to back off because of it.