Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 10:24 AM       
Is the dick heart the bit on the end? We call that the Herman Gelmet, but I guess it could look sort of like a heart if one were inclined to draw it that way on a tattoo.
Insane Writer
ZeldaQueen is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 01:27 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_squared View Post
Thus speaketh the Noble Savage. How dignified he sounds.
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says Man, "The Babel fish proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 02:02 PM       
lol.
im pretty sure a noble savage is somebody who takes the reasoning and intelligence of the contemporary world and lives without government; in a state of nature. ;\ oh nm its just when we live unrestrained by a society cause GUBERMENTS and rules are what causes us to be bad. OPTIMISM/ STRAIN

i call my brother in law a noble savage all the time lol
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 02:06 PM       
KK reminds me of Don Quixote. He reads romantic novels about being a fair and just person, creates an imaginary world in which to perform his noble deeds, fucks it all up in real life, and believes that people are praising him when they actually want o lock him up for being such and idiot.
Insane Writer
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 02:18 PM       
Is it just me or is the term "noble savage" kind of...derogatory? Like "magical negro"?

It almost reminds me of in "Take Up the White Man's Burden", when the nonEuropean people are described as "sullen" and "half devil and half child".
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says Man, "The Babel fish proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 06:20 PM       
not really similar at all its basically an anarchist/optimistic idea that if there were no society man would be perfect. Or, that society is what creates bad and evil people.
Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 07:47 PM       
can somebody just gimme the cliff notes to this thread?

kthx
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 08:32 PM       
KK makes wordy and obliquely offensive statements.

General argument, laughter and derision from the masses.

KK whines and says he's going away.

There is much rejoicing.
You may already be there.
Insane Writer
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 08:40 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
not really similar at all its basically an anarchist/optimistic idea that if there were no society man would be perfect. Or, that society is what creates bad and evil people.
I get it. Just seems a little rude the way it's put. That's probably just me though.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 10:54 PM       
The notion of the noble savage is just horseshit. Anyone who believes it should spend a year among the Yanomano or the Korowai and see how "noble" their behavior is from our point of view.

I can say this with a certain amount of authority because I just got accepted into graduate school to get a master's in anthropology. BOOYAH! :smug
Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 11:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
KK makes wordy and obliquely offensive statements.

General argument, laughter and derision from the masses.

KK whines and says he's going away.

There is much rejoicing.

I believe he's a character.
Insane Writer
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 11:39 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanette X View Post
The notion of the noble savage is just horseshit. Anyone who believes it should spend a year among the Yanomano or the Korowai and see how "noble" their behavior is from our point of view.

I can say this with a certain amount of authority because I just got accepted into graduate school to get a master's in anthropology. BOOYAH! :smug
I hate you.

Actually, it's anthropology I hate.
Queen of the Beasts
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 11:49 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldaQueen View Post
I hate you.

Actually, it's anthropology I hate.
Why? I'm backing up the point you made.
BANNED

Old Mar 8th, 2009, 01:07 AM       
tribes are a type of society, as such the argument could be made that they corrupt human beings.

But yea, usually people bring that type of stuff up to refute it.
Queen of the Beasts
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 03:08 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
tribes are a type of society, as such the argument could be made that they corrupt human beings.
Precisely. Just because a society may not be technologically advanced doesn't mean that they are as socially complex as our own.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 09:58 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJack View Post
I believe he's a character.
Never thought about it. Could be.
You may already be there.
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 11:13 PM       
That crazy Kulturkampf! He's a character all right!
...I proved, son, without a shadow of a doubt, you ain't got what it takes anymore! You sit there, and you thump your bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn't get you anywhere! Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16; Austin 3:16 says, "I just whipped your ass!"
Nexus 7 Prototype
VaporTrailx1 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 01:36 PM       
da hood has started to streamline things. There is now only 1 word for "to be" which is "is". Are and am are obsolete.
Escape will make me god.
Insane Writer
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 01:58 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanette X View Post
Why? I'm backing up the point you made.
No no, it's not you it's anthropology. I have to take it this semester for my natural science credit and I hate it. I did really badly on the first test and I only have two others to fix it.

Anywho...

Quote:
Precisely. Just because a society may not be technologically advanced doesn't mean that they are as socially complex as our own
That's why the term "noble savage" bothered me. It seemed to imply that people who lived in tribes or "uncivilized" places were inferior. Europeans thought that the native Africans were "savages", but the Africans were the ones who were smelting iron and enjoying a good standard of living while Europe rotted from the Black Plague.
Queen of the Beasts
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 02:16 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldaQueen View Post
No no, it's not you it's anthropology. I have to take it this semester for my natural science credit and I hate it. I did really badly on the first test and I only have two others to fix it.
I assume it was physical anthropology, which I'm not to crazy about either, for the record. My area is cultural anthropology, which is a whole 'nother ball of wax.
Insane Writer
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 03:15 PM       
Quote:
I assume it was physical anthropology, which I'm not to crazy about either, for the record. My area is cultural anthropology, which is a whole 'nother ball of wax.
Yes it is. Right now we're studying the physical characteristics of monkeys. Joy.

Cultural does sound more fun, but physical was what fulfilled the requirement, so it is what I must take. Woot.
BANNED

Old Mar 9th, 2009, 03:54 PM       
I'm taking physical anthropology right now too
Insane Writer
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 04:26 PM       
It sucks, doesn't it?

Did your class have to learn how to label the parts of a lemur's tooth?
BANNED

Old Mar 9th, 2009, 04:43 PM       
Its kind of a fun class ;o

I don't really know what you mean by label the parts of a lemurs tooth but we learned about TEETHS.
Insane Writer
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM       
We had to learn about parts of molars.

We're learning about Hominidae (humans and apes) right now. I'm working on a one or two page summary of notes for them (not so bad actually).