Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 09:51 AM        Cover of this week's Newsweek

International Edition:

The Rise of Jihadistan
Five years after the Afghan invasion, the Taliban are fighting back hard, carving out a sanctuary where they—and Al Qaeda's leaders—can operate freely.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14975282/site/newsweek/

American Edition:

Through Her Lens
In her new book, Annie Leibovitz, our most famous photographer, places celebs side by side with surprisingly personal images of love and loss. An exclusive.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14964292/site/newsweek/

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 10:12 AM       
The Illuminati strikes again!
Fuck Yeah
McClain is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 10:16 AM       
We're to blame.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 11:15 AM       
Yeah, I saw that. I thought it was Hillarious, in a sort of giddy, vaguely nauseating way.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 12:27 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
The Illuminati strikes again!
Kevin, you don't find that the least bit unsettling?
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 12:36 PM       
Or at least a little Hillarious? I don't see a conspiracy there (and Gegs didn't say if he did or not). All I see is a shocking but perhaps correct assumption that Americans will be more tempted to buy an Annie Liebowitz cover story than a 'we didn't win in Afghansitan' cover story.

It's not a statement about conspiracy. It's either a statement about Newsweek, or America, or both. I'll tell you what it can't be. Just nothin'.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 12:57 PM       
I think it's funny and unfortunate. Whether or not we're actually losing Afghanistan, it's certainly a more worthy topic than whatever the other stupid one was.

However, Geggy did have a reason for posting it. If you're going to bet on Geggy, bet on it having something to do with PNAC and someone somewhere who has an opinion on stuff not being allowed to testify before the 9/11 commission.

Max is right. It says something about the magazine, it says something about consumers, but it says nothing about conspiracy.

I'll leave it open to Geggy to elaborate.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 01:27 PM       
I wish it was a conspiracy. That would be hillarious.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 02:59 PM       
I didn't mean to imply a conspiracy angle.

It is funny, but in the way that laughing at retarded people is funny: It's kind of sad, and it makes you feel dirty and ashamed.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 03:07 PM       
I have that can't stop laughing and my jaw is really starting to hurt thing going on. For about the last friggin' decade.
say what now?
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 06:44 PM       
The words "afghanistan: the forgotten war" popped in my head when I first saw these covers. That's what I thought was funny. Newsweek is even attempting to avoid to humilate the government's failure of handling afghanistan (although I don't think it's a failure). The only conspiracy I see here is that it should the cover story of the people's magazine and not this magazine.

Of course it is widely believed that we are in afghanistan for the reason of 9/11, although plans to invade afghanistan were already on the table beforehand...way beforehand. I wondered if the cover story of international's edition of newsweek was also in the us's edition, it would cause quite a stir as people react to the cover story and realize the administration had failed to perform a smack down on the group responsible for 9/11, except that only it has increased taliben and al-qaeda's strength that could pose a risk of another 9/11 style attack on america soil. I don't think this administration wants to deal with the civil unrest and the incoming tide of questions that may pressure them to answer as to what they've done to fail (or something worse) to bring justice and safety to the americans.
say what now?
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 06:55 PM       
I also find it hilarious that most people have forgotten about afghanistan because they're more interested in how celebrities live their lives

United states of amnesia
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 06:56 PM       
Amazing what the cover of just one magazine could do.

Well, maybe Time will have an issue soon that will topple the Bush Administration.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 07:11 PM       
i must admit that is pretty hilarious.
say what now?
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 08:41 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preechr
Amazing what the cover of just one magazine could do.

Well, maybe Time will have an issue soon that will topple the Bush Administration.
You'd be surprised.

I think only if US's edition of time/newsweek was more like the international kind and they were placed in magazine racks by every cashier aisles of a food market instead of these celebrity dumbing-down trash magazines to keep americans waiting in line to pay for food better informed about how much Bush is fucking us in the ass, there would be a pretty good chance of toppling this administration

It's all about strategy!!
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 08:56 PM       
Queen Latifah and some lady from Telemundo were on the cover that I saw.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 09:09 PM       
Well, regardless of whether or not you and I agree on what's gone wrong, let me fill you in on a little bit on what I've learned about changing the mind of America. It ain't that easy. If my cause or yours ever came to the point of us taking up arms in support of it, maybe either of us would do so. Who we are as a nation, though, hasn't changed much since only about 15% of who we were at the time supported the American Revolution. This is a peaceful nation where peaceful seeming lies are readily accepted as fact. I'm not saying I agree with you on where the modern lies are, but we do have a little in common at least in spirit.

If you want things to change, he best advice I can give you is to forget the idea of popular support, Geggy. You tend to make a habit of bringing whatever new proof you can find of some vast conspiracy here to the rest of us in hopes of breaking the camel's back with that lact straw of what you think is truth. That won't happen, anymore than I'll ever convince Max to switch sides by posting every conservative op-ed related to the War on Terror. What you are facing is a fundamental disbelief that the whole world has gone terribly, horribly wrong. How can you hope to prove that when the sun is still shining and birds still sing in the trees?

Still, you wish to prove it. Well, if I were to judge what you want by what you do, I might not be able to say that. You do know you don't spend much time proving anything you believe, right? Saying something over and over, even when you try different ways of saying it, doesn't even make it seem true, much less so.

Forget about convincing everybody and try focusing on proving to just one or two people the truth behind your beliefs. If someone tells you you're wrong, go back and figure out why they said that and fix it. Repeat until you've convinced someone... Just don't pick me. I'm too old and happy to buy into your paranoia. Try kahljorn. He's half shot out already...

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
say what now?
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:41 PM       
I'm having this strong sense that we're slipping into dictatorship. History tells me it's almost so blantantly clear because the logic fits. There are signs indicating that we're currently living under state of tyrannical regime. Your right wing ideology is only going to deny it. People are going to laugh at the notion because it sounds insane. We think we're oblivious to sliding into dictatorship because we live in america. I bet the germans thought they were too. Or how else would hitler have risen to power? Their denial was so thick they never questioned what he was doing until after their country was both invaded and defeated and they were living in poverty.

When I look at what the bush administration has brought..war, anger, suppression of freedom of expression often through attacks on character ie. 9/11 conspiracy theorists, etc. But this administration doesn't want us to see that or anything else, so they're trying to distract us by using the politics of fear. That I think is a very dangerous tactic to use in any free, democracy country.

From what I see what is happening here our attention is focused on war on terror, hollywood and iraq while the economy, the environment and many other things deteriorate because we don't pay attention. From the first president to the previous one, this country's debt went up to 2.6 trillion. It has already climbed to 9 trillion since W. Bush took power. Federal spending has risen from 26 trillion to an alarming 70 trillion dollars. And you're telling me that I'm being paranoid like I don't have a reason to be? Fine I'll forget about it and watch monday night football with my hand in a bowl of doritos and a watered down bud in the other if that'll make you feel better.

There I said it. I'm glad I got it off my chest.

I would like for you to explain to me you think why it is impossible for america to slip into dictatorship.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:26 PM       
Sure, but what do you think of Annie Liebowtiz's photogrpahy?
say what now?
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:46 PM       
I'll answer that question after I'm finished watching my favorite show on mtv
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:53 PM       
What was it that thomas jefferson said about the most important thing for a democratic country is a Newspaper? lol