Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Kulturkampf is probably a spambot
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 07:24 AM       
Have you ever talked with someone from outside of the Western hemisphere?

In Korea, Japan, China, and other nations people are raised as atheists, and their general view on religion is just as simple as anyone elses, and their rationale is just as simple....

Westerners say...

"I don't really know, I mean, I think there is a God and that we should act this ay or what,"

and Easterner atheists say,

"really, I just think there is no God, etc."

You'd be so disappointed iwth how many Korean atheits I have met who are not profound thinkers rejecting the cloak of ignorance, but rather are just normal people who require as much intellectual liberation as a believer.

Atheists outside of the West are intellectually lame as much as Beleivers in the West.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 09:01 AM       
Ok, but we weren't talking about aetheism, we were talking about religion. People should actually be agnostic, since you can't prove that there is or isn't a God. I also never said all aethiests were enlightened, so I don't see where you're going with that beyond that you couldn't argue what I actually wrote because you were owned.
homoperfect is probably a spambot
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 09:47 AM       
This depends on the type of justification you're using. I myself tend to side with Descartes and demand indefeasable evidence. All else I accept as belief. I also believe that some beliefs are stronger than others. where I find our senses fail us and they are not reliable enough for indefeasible evidence, I do think the senses strengthen beliefs. a belief that shows empirical proof is stronger than a belief that shows no proof at all. but either way, I can not know then with absolute certainty.

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 09:53 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tenenbaum
Ok, but we weren't talking about aetheism, we were talking about religion. People should actually be agnostic, since you can't prove that there is or isn't a God. I also never said all aethiests were enlightened, so I don't see where you're going with that beyond that you couldn't argue what I actually wrote because you were owned.
If religion is a tool of ignorance, then wouldn't it mean that those who did not have religion were thus in some way liberated of at least one major form of ignorance?

Religion isn't a minor thing, and if you regard religion as an ignorant superstition, wouldn't it mean that those without religion would suddenly be less ignorant and better for it?

What do you mean, or haven't you thought it all out yet?

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 10:03 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by homoperfect
This depends on the type of justification you're using. I myself tend to side with Descartes and demand indefeasable evidence. All else I accept as belief. I also believe that some beliefs are stronger than others. where I find our senses fail us and they are not reliable enough for indefeasible evidence, I do think the senses strengthen beliefs. a belief that shows empirical proof is stronger than a belief that shows no proof at all. but either way, I can not know then with absolute certainty.
I think most things that are truly important defy evidence or proof.

Who really cares about the distance between the sun and the earth? Who really cares how many meters long a man can grow?

What matters is that there is a sun, there is an earth, and that there is a man. What matters is that I got into a fight and broke my nose and it made me feel masculine; what matters is that I met a girl and I fell in love; what matters is that in the summer of 1996 I got a handjob in a bathroom and it made me feel so good I came or that in the summer of 2003 I entered the US Army as a Private and it gave me a sense of both honor and fright as I went off to basic combat training.

It does not matter the science behind any of it... Who cares about how my nose was broken? Who cares what the dimensions of the girl I fell in lvoe with were? Who cares the size of the bathroom or the science behind sucking shit at basic combat training?

It does not matter the science, because the science is just a description of facts that help us build pictures and senses of what is happening when we aren't there. I tell you I broke my nose from a punch thrown by a 6'3" man weighting 240 pounds and we get an idea of "owe, that must have hurt," or I say I fell in love with the cutest girl ever, and we say "Ohhh, I see!" or I say the bathroom had a head lamp on instead of a regular light "sexy!" or I say that I went to BCT in summer in the South (sweaty, nasty, no good)....

The only reason the science matters, the only reason the hard, physical proof matters and the only reason that the Earth, the Sun, and your fellow men matter at all to you is because...

You feel.

You feel something from these things, and without that feeling... It would mean nothing.

Our world is based on a feeling, not on a science.

And who can prove a feeling?

I can only communicate through shallow words what I felt when I was kissing the woman I loved, and biologically you can tell me about the sensitivies of the nerves in our mouths and our tongues and the proximity between us, and a psychological need to feel another person close to you, and you can explain it a million ways...

But none of that mattered, because when this girl kissed me the feeling was indescribable through word or science.

If another man kissed her, he would not feel the same thing, and it would not matter, and it would never matter to me what another man felt, and he could never tell me exactly what he felt if he really felt something...

But what matters, and what will only matter, is that I felt.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 10:43 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulturkampf
If religion is a tool of ignorance, then wouldn't it mean that those who did not have religion were thus in some way liberated of at least one major form of ignorance?

Religion isn't a minor thing, and if you regard religion as an ignorant superstition, wouldn't it mean that those without religion would suddenly be less ignorant and better for it?

Wow, if A then B, if NOT A, then NOT B right? RIGHT??! HVEN't YOU tTHOUGHT THIS THRU?! :foam
derrida is probably a spambot
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:04 PM       
^^^^ relativism: coming soon to a conservative near you!
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 04:42 PM       
How long do you think it would take before it becomes really important how far from the sun we are? I don't really care, but being so close to the ozone hole, I can feel the uv rays killing me.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 04:50 PM       
Am I the only one who thinks it odd that KK is a total skinhead retard when it comes to all things, except for religion, in which case he becomes a touchy-feely homogay?
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:05 PM       
"Our world is based on a feeling, not on a science. "
-KiKiDee

I have a very strong feeling, KultureKlub, that you are positively SO stupid it beggars the imagination. Seriously. Science might reveal that you are a clinical idiot or perhaps borderline retarded, but I don't care because I feel you are a babbling ninny who will one day say the wrong thing to the wrong person and get his face pushed in. Not the politically incorrct thing, but literally the wrong thing, as in a statement which is demonstrably wrong. My feeling is that you are a wash of emotions barely contained by the leather person shaped bag you slosh around in and that your complete lack of reason is a diagnosable personality disorder, but that there's no need to diagnos it, because I already feel you are a boob.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 07:19 PM       
Quote:

Obviously you know little to nothing about critical thinking. An absence of one thing does not entail a presence of another. Just because religion is ignorance does not make aetheism the lack of ignorance. Aetheist can be ignorant without religion, but religion in itself insists upon blind faith. Blind faith in something without evidence, or in the face of contrary evidence, is ignorant. Someone who is aetheist has an advantage because hopefully they will question the world and look for deeper answers beyond the stock bullshit that religions feed people. Without the thrist for knowledge, these people will be no better off.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 07:23 PM       
"I think most things that are truly important defy evidence or proof.

Who really cares about the distance between the sun and the earth? Who really cares how many meters long a man can grow?

What matters is that there is a sun, there is an earth, and that there is a man. What matters is that I got into a fight and broke my nose and it made me feel masculine; what matters is that I met a girl and I fell in love; what matters is that in the summer of 1996 I got a handjob in a bathroom and it made me feel so good I came or that in the summer of 2003 I entered the US Army as a Private and it gave me a sense of both honor and fright as I went off to basic combat training. "

You are retarded aren't you? There is no other explaination. All of those things you mentioned (beyond the handjob which must have been made up) has evidence to back it up. Science isn't necessarily just measurements of lengths you dolt, it involves observation. We can observe there are people, we can observe their is Earth, a Sun, and a Moon. What we can't observe is a god, miracles, or any of the other crap religion tries to feed people.

Wow, I am wasting my time debating a child.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:16 PM       
Quote:
If another man kissed her, he would not feel the same thing, and it would not matter, and it would never matter to me what another man felt, and he could never tell me exactly what he felt if he really felt something...
AAHHHH!!!!!

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
Quote:

Wow, if A then B, if NOT A, then NOT B right? RIGHT??! HVEN't YOU tTHOUGHT THIS THRU?! :foam
I have.

If religion is ignorance, than to not be religious enlightens oneself to a degree.

To reject God is to be more enlightened if religion is something that is producing of ignorance.

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:25 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
"Our world is based on a feeling, not on a science. "
-KiKiDee

I have a very strong feeling, KultureKlub, that you are positively SO stupid it beggars the imagination. Seriously. Science might reveal that you are a clinical idiot or perhaps borderline retarded, but I don't care because I feel you are a babbling ninny who will one day say the wrong thing to the wrong person and get his face pushed in. Not the politically incorrct thing, but literally the wrong thing, as in a statement which is demonstrably wrong. My feeling is that you are a wash of emotions barely contained by the leather person shaped bag you slosh around in and that your complete lack of reason is a diagnosable personality disorder, but that there's no need to diagnos it, because I already feel you are a boob.
Check this out:

I do not fear being hit in the face or beaten down; in the park, for fun, me and my friends beat each other up because we are skinheads, and that is what skinheads do; we drink, we fight, we bleed, and we continue to drink and then we meet again next weekend for as much of a rauccous time.

It does not matter if I win or lose a fight, or if my face is broken and beaten down, because I am fucking living, man, fucking living!

I am so in love with life it is absurd. Every day I have a stunning cumshot.

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:26 PM       
Quote:
Quote:

Obviously you know little to nothing about critical thinking. An absence of one thing does not entail a presence of another. Just because religion is ignorance does not make aetheism the lack of ignorance. Aetheist can be ignorant without religion, but religion in itself insists upon blind faith. Blind faith in something without evidence, or in the face of contrary evidence, is ignorant. Someone who is aetheist has an advantage because hopefully they will question the world and look for deeper answers beyond the stock bullshit that religions feed people. Without the thrist for knowledge, these people will be no better off.
I disagree.

An atheist can be ignorant in other things, but if he rejects the existence of the supernatural he is no longer ignorant about religion.

There are carptements that exist within thought.

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:28 PM       
Quote:
"I think most things that are truly important defy evidence or proof.

What matters is that there is a sun, there is an earth, and that there is a man. What matters is that I got into a fight and broke my nose and it made me feel masculine; what matters is that I met a girl and I fell in love; what matters is that in the summer of 1996 I got a handjob in a bathroom and it made me feel so good I came or that in the summer of 2003 I entered the US Army as a Private and it gave me a sense of both honor and fright as I went off to basic combat training. "

You are retarded aren't you? There is no other explaination. All of those things you mentioned (beyond the handjob which must have been made up) has evidence to back it up. Science isn't necessarily just measurements of lengths you dolt, it involves observation. We can observe there are people, we can observe their is Earth, a Sun, and a Moon. What we can't observe is a god, miracles, or any of the other crap religion tries to feed people.

Wow, I am wasting my time debating a child.
You are foolish.

Science can only observe things, but how can one ever observe the true emotions of a human heart that can be lockd away?

Can science read a mind?

Can science read a feeling?

It cannot, and even though it may monitor the body as closely as it wants, it will never be able to tell me what I am thinking and feeling, and my thoughts and feelings can never be measured.

I am invincible that way.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:30 PM       
"It does not matter if I win or lose a fight, or if my face is broken and beaten down, because I am fucking living, man, fucking living!"

HEY, HOW ABOUT NOT DOING THAT TO YOURSELF ON MY TAX DOLLARS!!!
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:27 AM       
Quote:
I am invincible that way.
try shooting yourself in the face to test this theory.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:02 AM       
"An atheist can be ignorant in other things, but if he rejects the existence of the supernatural he is no longer ignorant about religion."

That's basically what I claimed. Atheists have merely removed a hurdle, but they can still be ignorant.

PS. Please kill yourself.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:51 PM       
"I do not fear being hit in the face or beaten down; in the park, for fun, me and my friends beat each other up because we are skinheads, and that is what skinheads do; we drink, we fight, we bleed, and we continue to drink and then we meet again next weekend for as much of a rauccous time. "
-KrispyKreme

I don't know a lot of Skinheads, but I'm going to go way out on a limb and say you and your friends beat each other up because you are idiots.

People who don't feel alive, or at best feel more alive when they hit each other in the face are usually very drunk. They also vomit on themselves, poop in alleyways, drive into lamposts and people and other cars, stink and wet themselves. People who glorify this instead of being ashamed or at least embarassed have a personality disorder. People who see this sort of thing as being proof of 'love of life' have almost certainly been hit in the head at least once too often. It doesn't take all that much getting hit in the head to cause brain damage. Not being afraid of it is stupid. Brain damage is bad. Actively seeking out potential brain damage is stupid. Romanticizing it. You should try getting hit in the face when you are dead cold sober.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 01:01 PM       
Most feelings can be scientifically understood by two means; neurological responses often resulting in the release of various chemicals that are explicitly designed to create "Feelings", and programmed neurological/psychological responses that trigger the above release(along with other related processes).

So yes, they can be explained in words and science, and it has been done before. I thought this was common knowledge among anyone who's ever argued either side of freewill. Do you not apply your logic to more than one field, do you study a philosophy and then abandon it without having learned anything from it?

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 06:35 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn
Most feelings can be scientifically understood by two means; neurological responses often resulting in the release of various chemicals that are explicitly designed to create "Feelings", and programmed neurological/psychological responses that trigger the above release(along with other related processes).

So yes, they can be explained in words and science, and it has been done before. I thought this was common knowledge among anyone who's ever argued either side of freewill. Do you not apply your logic to more than one field, do you study a philosophy and then abandon it without having learned anything from it?
Science can observe the actions within the brain and the triggering of emotions, but can it understand a peson's emotions and the reasons whyw e think our ways and live our lives the way that we do?
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 06:47 PM       
Yes, i just told you. Programmed neurological responses. Just like how the response you just gave me was programmed by your experiences and, dare I say, "Knowledge". Did it come from nowhere? Did you pull it out of the asshole of God? No, it was deliberate and came from YOU.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:08 AM       
You know, Kulturkampf, you could just fucking box.