Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 01:30 AM        Asus Netbooks inquiry...
I'm looking to get a small 10" netbook and I'm interested in some Asus models. Basically all I'm going to be using this computer for is a lot of writing, checking email and some light web surfing. A simple computer for me to take wherever I want to get away from all the distractions that come with my current setup at home.

So with that in mind, have any of you used any ASUS netbooks? If so, what are your thoughts on them.

One of the models I'm currently looking at is the 1005HA model which is a little over $300 on Newegg ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220551 ) and comes with a 160gig hard drive, 1gig o' ram and Windows XP.

Any thoughts on this model vs. other netbooks?
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 01:52 AM       
Yes, I had one. But I bought one when they were $400, and they've become so much cheaper and so much better. Really, you can get any of them and be happy.

Also, Asus laptops come with a year of warranty that covers accidental damage, no questions asked.

I broke mine before then, though.

Really, it let me write a lot more often and the battery lasted a while, plus it's way easier to carry around than my 17" HP that I have now. I miss the little bugger.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 02:09 AM       
Yeah I have a 17" Sony Vaio here at home too and I love it, but I want a small laptop I can take anywhere just to get writing work done. Thanks for the feedback Fathom.

Anybody else with thoughts on the Asus netbooks?
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 02:31 AM       
One thing, though. Build quality. Kinda plastic-y. Might be off-putting. They feel solid, though, and weighty without being awkwardly heavy. Think something a little heavier than a hardcover book. I had a 9" one, so it was about the same size, as well.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 08:39 PM       
I held one in a store the other day and it seemed fine to me. Like I said, it's just something simple for me to take around town when I wanna get out of the house and still get some work done.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 01:26 AM       
Trying to decide between the 1000HE and the 1005HA model. Basically, it comes down to the keyboard and touchpad layouts. There are benefits to both so it's a tough call... take a look:

THE 1000HE LAYOUT (you can zoom in on it)

THE 1005HA LAYOUT (you can zoom in on it)

The 1000HE has the nice chiclet style keys which are more spaced out and larger arrow keys. It also has separate buttons below the touchpad.

The 1005HA has keys closer together but a more normal sized right shift key. The button below the touchpad isn't at the edge of the computer but it's also a single button rather than separate ones for right & left click.

Tough call o.O
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 01:55 AM       
I was gonna get the 1000HE. The battery life on it is pretty good and the chiclet keys are sooooo awesome.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 03:40 AM       
Are the keys really that much more comfortable in comparison? Haven't tried 'em... a lot of people seem to like the keys of the 1005HA better and they were pretty comfortable when I tried them in store the other day (they didn't have the chiclet keys to try). Plus the right side shift key is larger. Only drawback from what I can tell is how the up & down arrow keys are smaller on the 1005HA.

Last edited by Mockery : Jan 29th, 2010 at 04:12 AM.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 12:53 PM       
I think you can get used to just about anything, like keyboard size and pad placement, but the thing that will absolutely make you miserable is battery life.
The Unicorn
Sam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contest
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 03:41 PM       
It's all about left-side shift key.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 04:25 PM       
I don't think I've ever used the right-most shift key.
dead end
mew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 02:34 PM       
i got a dell netbook instead of an asus cuz at the time it was cheaper with identical specs, cept i got a 6cell battery instead of the 3cell they usually have. that doesn't help i guess :o
Banned

Womti sucksWomti sucksWomti sucksWomti sucks
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 04:43 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery View Post
I'm looking to get a small 10" netbook and I'm interested in some Asus models. Basically all I'm going to be using this computer for is a lot of writing, checking email and some light web surfing. A simple computer for me to take wherever I want to get away from all the distractions that come with my current setup at home.

So with that in mind, have any of you used any ASUS netbooks? If so, what are your thoughts on them.

One of the models I'm currently looking at is the 1005HA model which is a little over $300 on Newegg ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220551 ) and comes with a 160gig hard drive, 1gig o' ram and Windows XP.

Any thoughts on this model vs. other netbooks?
I have a Vaio notebook I could try mailing you but it kind of doesnt work. it has a wall adapter and it just plugs right into any outlet. you would need to buy a charger for it though, and fix it if I cant. I will post in here though if I get any updates on the notebook's repair though.