Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

TOP CHEF
Stabby is probably a spambot
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 07:50 PM        Scare the shit out of your children.
So I was watching FOX news today (not by choice. It's the only news channel we're allowed to put on in the break room or all the conservatives start to cry.) And every 5 minutes they update us on the death of the Sarasota girl, Carlie. (Which is great for them because they have that video tape that they can replay ad nauseum, like the fucking twin towers going down, every 5 minutes. Thank god for home movies or what would the news media have to play?)

After one of these many updates, they had a social worker or phsyciatrist or whatever he's calling himself on. the subject was what you should do as a parent to educate your kids on the danger of abduction. (You know, one of the typical media craze topics they present during any event like this) And one of the points/suggestions he made just blew me away. He stated that it would be a GOOD idea to have a friend that you know, which your child has never seen, do a fake abduction, so that you can see how your kid reacts and let them no what they did wrong. Now I'm not a parent, but WTF! I guess I don't see the need to scare the living shit out of your 9 year old kid while he's playing outside. I despise how the media goes overboard over every issue and drags the public along with them (as I heard "good idea" mumbled accross the break room over my loud sighs of disgust). Abductions like this are VERY, VERY rare, but now thanks to media coverage and frightened parents that soak up everything they see on TV, we are going to have 12-year-old kids on leashes in the front lawn under the watchful eye of the parents survelience system...

But like I said, I'm not a parent. But am I wrong to think that maybe evey other kid in America doesn't need to be caused to worry themselves sick over the possibility that this, and I quote (from the best of my memory) "could happen anywhere, at any time, without warning"??

On a related note, because that girl lived one block away from me and the car wash where she was taken is just down the street, it has turned my 20 minute drive to and from work into a nearly 2 hour event, as traffic is stopped with constant police barricades and the 100s of cockroach media vans everywhere.
Pee Wee Herman is probably a spambot
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 07:53 PM       
I concur. The faking of an abduction would traumatize the child so badly that all the cons of a fake abduction by far outweigh the pros, and the fact that abductions are very rare.

"Boy, me and my family sure are quoyed a lot in people's signatures"
-Max Burbank
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 08:08 PM       
Boy, it's good thing they keep it fair and balanced, and don't do any asinine bullshit yellow journalism. 'Cause I'd hate to see them lower their standards, you know?
The Unseen is probably a spambot
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 08:54 PM       
Parents shouldn't be in charge of kids any more. They should lose all senses of compassion and let their kids do as they please. If they fuck up, it's their fault.

phnompehn is probably a spambot
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 07:17 PM       
Why not just arm all of the children with knives. Really big knives. Then they can just fend for themselves when being abducted. Nothing could ever possibly go wrong with that.

da blob is probably a spambot
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 07:07 AM        .
Bowling for Columbine.

WHAT THE FUCK?! "

(mburbank)
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 04:40 PM       
Most child abductions in the U.S. are by the post-divorce parent who didn't get custody. Abductions by strangers is rare. It's the same with homicides. That's why the first people police look at are family, friends and co-workers and are right in doing so an overwhelming majority of the time. In conclusion, if you really want to keep your kid safe, watch for the psychos in your immediate neighborhood who are paying an inappropriate amount of attention to your child.

Wherever you go, there you are.