Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 08:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulturkampf View Post
Your country sucks dicks.
Which doesn't even pay well in Cananda, I hear.

Kulturkampf is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 10:29 PM       
AT lesser rates than those of the Canadians one would presume by the vast amounts of those who come overseas as economic refugees, fleeing Arbys.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 11:38 PM       
This is funny because my dollar is worth more than yours, which means I can afford more Arby's.

Kulturkampf is probably a spambot
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 09:14 AM       
But can you get a good job with which to use your dollar? Soon you will be an economic refugee unless you start logging.
Resident Chimp
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 09:39 AM       
Actually, I probably make more than you as a software developer.

PS. I have a university degree (not a sad two-year state college degree), but don't tell anyone because they might fire me.
Resident Chimp
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 02:52 PM       
$1.00 CDN = $1.05 US

Up and up and up!

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2007/10/29/loonie.html

A bunch of big chain stores have also been announcing lately that they'll be lowering prices to match US prices, mostly due to them shitting their pants about losing business to people driving south for a couple hours or ordering online.

Some stores in the US are also complaining that they're getting warnings from US manufacturers to not sell to Canadians who are coming for cheaper prices. There's certain models of vehicles that are like $10,000 cheaper in North Dakota. The obvious answer is that the US auto industry is propping up Canadian healthcare!

So much for the free market.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 04:06 PM       
I don't know how much you can make of that. People all the time jump state borders to get better prices. Before New York City dropped the tax on clothing (which the rest of the state never did), it was common for people to drive into New Jersey (which didn't have the tax) to buy clothes.

I knew a guy in college whose family drove to Michigan so they could save $20k on an SUV. I know people that still go down South for cars.
Resident Chimp
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 05:07 PM       
The main complaint has to do with mature market products. A few years ago when our dollar was $0.62 US, stores were all raising prices since importing goods was so much more expensive (transportation costs, etc).

Now that the dollar is around parity, prices on all of these things have stayed at the "making up for the high cost of importing" level. The cost of importing goods has gone down as the dollar has risen, so the extra amount that consumers are paying is pure profit.

The common excuse for the last year or so has been to do with inventory stocks. The idea is that stores paid $X for the product sitting in the warehouse and are going to charge $Y for them. This makes sense until you realize that all of this inventory has turned over in the warehouses several times since retailers made this excuse, all while the cost of importing has gone down. Smart stores don't even keep huge inventories on hand anymore as the use of JIT delivery methods has become more widespread.

This isn't just a case of a few stores charging more; prices are pretty even across the board, either, and the answer isn't as simple as "just don't shop there." Most Canadian cities have 2-3 major retail chains where a US city will have 4-5 (the difference is usually made up by regional chains). The population and demographics can't support that many businesses... think of US towns where all they have is a Wal-Mart.

Overall, the general feeling is that many manufacturers are milking consumers and inflating prices unfairly due to lower revenue in the US. A lot of manufacturers will go to great lengths to maintain their market share in the US, even to the point of selling products at a loss, because they know they can make it up by charging more in other countries.

And so we order stuff online and pay the difference to Fedex.
Resident Chimp
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:28 AM       
$1.00 CDN = $1.07 US

New post-war high
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:38 AM       
So are we rapidly moving to become Canada's Mexico or what