Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:32 PM        Scalia getting wierder
Asked by reporters this Sunday in Boston if he could be an impartial judge on matters of separation of Church and state, Scalia said "You know what I say to people who ask me about that?". He then gave the eporters the finger and said "That's Sicillian".

He knows he's a Supreme Court Justice, right?
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:34 PM       
ROTFL

End Times, baby.

That's the only explanation that makes sense.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:40 PM       
What a fuckin' goofball.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:56 PM       
Not true. http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/27/sc....ap/index.html

Not to say that Scalia isn't a douche, because he is, but the story, as originally reported, was wrong.
Mocker
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:00 PM       
Um, is that gesture (which we can all picture in our head) any different than the finger???

And wouldn't the appropriate comment coming from a friggin SUPREME COURT JUSTICE, who happens to be leaving Church, be "no comment, have a nice day"???
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:01 PM       
Okay. Thanks sppad. Not as wierd, but the Italians I have known concider that a fairly rude gesture in any case.

You should come around more, Sam.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 02:55 PM       
so he's not allowed to be rude simply because he's a supreme court justice? he has to be impartial on everything?

"Justice Scalia! Tide or All?"

"I cannot comment as that would compromise the neutrality required of a Supreme Court Justice awooooo"

and it's all in the interpretation. I don't consider it the same as the finger.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:02 PM       
He can be rude all he wants, but it certainly doesn't make him look good. I think that's the point. Besides, he DOES have to remain neutral on the separation of church and state issue.
Mocker
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:05 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianStereotype
so he's not allowed to be rude simply because he's a supreme court justice? he has to be impartial on everything?

Yeah, it's clearly the same.

He's a member of the Supreme Court. It's not about being impartial, it's about showing some class and not running your mouth off like an idiot.

Quote:
Go ahead, stick up for the Italian.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:06 PM       
but it wasn't about the seperation of church and state. I don't know what the hell max is talking about. what was asked of justice scalia was about his personal spiritual beliefs.
Mocker
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:06 PM       
Also, anybody who says "this is Sicillian" is a geeky Sopranos fan boy.
Legislacerator
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:07 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianStereotype

Yeah, it's clearly the same.

He's a member of the Supreme Court. It's not about being impartial, it's about showing some class and not running your mouth off like an idiot.

Quote:
Go ahead, stick up for the Italian.
kay

let's all stick our noses up in the air because justice scalia told people to stay the hell out of his personal life.
=======

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:15 PM       
Hush you guys... I'm trying to listen to what Martin Sheen is saying about running a government properly.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:16 PM       
He is a friggin supreme court justice. His opinions set lasting precedents that will stand after you and I are dead. The fact that he is a practicing Catholic, and a conservative, makes him a target for the pro-choice movement.

I don't care about his personal life, but the guy is one of the most powerful men in the country. He sits at the top of one of the three branches of federal government.

All I'm asking for is some tact. If a camera is put in your face, look the other way, or ignore the question.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:20 PM       
Scalia was leaving Mass on Sunday at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross when the reporter asked the justice if he had to deal with much flak related to his conservative Roman Catholic beliefs, according to the newspaper.

"You know what I say to those people?" Scalia said before making the gesture, according to the paper's account. "That's Sicilian."

The paper said that Scalia also said: "This is my spiritual life. I shall lead it the way I like."

Doesn't seem so bad. Max what news source said it was about the speration of church and state?
Legislacerator
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:29 PM       
italians are an animated people, what can I say?
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:22 PM       
that's the totally classless sort of sophmoric bullshit i'd expect out of some asshole like myself - not a supreme court justice.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 09:27 PM       
OK, something I gotta know: Why does every Italian I know claim he's Sicilian? Its not that big an island. Tuscany is nice. why can't you people claim to come from there?

From what I understand, Sicily is a friggin hell hole, too.

Do you all take The Godfather too damned seriously?
=======

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:57 PM       
"You people?"

What kind of racist crap is that?

Legislacerator
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 02:34 AM       
haha

because most Italians in the US are descended from southern Italian emigrants and that almost exclusively means either Sicily, Rome, or Naples. why would someone want to leave a prosperous area like northern Italy?
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:00 AM       
I'll go back and check my sources. I think it was The Boston Herald, which is a conservative paper, but also a suck tabloid.

I didn't think it was a huge deal, and while I started this, I agree with Eye tie, it isn't as rude as the finger.

The title of my thread said that he was getting wierder. I think it was a wierd way for a Supreme court justice to behave. I think that when we speak of the coarsening on the country (and I agree, it's getting coarser) That along with Gangtsa rap you need to talk about the behavior of the countries highest officials. I don't mean tey need to go back to wearing top hats, but I don't like it when the VP tells a senatir to 'go fuck himslef', I don't like it that the president chooses (and it has to be a choice at this point) to pronounce Nuclear the wrong way, and I don't like it when a Supreme court justice makes a rude hand gesture, regardless of provocation. I think Presidents should write their own speeches and speak well and that a certain level of decorum should be expected. This all started with Nancy eagan letting Mr. T sit on her lap for a photo op. Or maybe it was when Johnson puled up his shirt to show his apendectomy scar to the cameras. It's just the way I fel, Ameria.
Mocker
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 02:52 PM       

Look at this man. Do you think J. Marshall, T. Marshall, and Brandeis, or Rehnquist when you see this man???
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 06:43 PM       
Ya, I wish we could go back to the days of when our elected officials were shooting people they think insulted them or run across the Senate floor to beat an oppponent with his cane.

Max, do you have any idea what kind of boorish assholes our past leaders, as well as other countries' leaders, have been?
Mocker
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 07:59 PM       
Irrelevant. That's like saying a bad doctor isn't so bad, because hey, at least he isn't bleeding the sick out of you with leaches!!

It was socialy acceptable in its day to duel. Yes, some of our founding fathers were very petty and cruel.

That totally makes Scalia's lack of class and tact acceptable.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 10:06 PM       

Too bad he doesn't know that that type of hand gesture is pretty close to saying "thank you" in sign language, otherwise he could've gotten away with it if he had simply told everyone they misunderstood the sign language.
Works for me everytime.