Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Comics 'n Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 01:35 PM        Good comics
So I got into Neil Gaiman's Sandman recently because everything Neil Gaiman does is awesome, and I decided I like the format. But I am afraid of comics in general after reading Protoclown and Max's columns and seeing just how bad the writing can sometimes be. I get the impression that comics fans deal with these things out of love for the characters, or the format, or both, which is cool (I do that with shitty science fiction books), but not for me. I get as many giggles as I need from just reading the synopses on this site.

So I was wondering if anyone can recommend to me some comics (or graphic novels if you like) that are worth reading just because they're written well. Good art is optional.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 03:01 PM       
I don't really have the chance to read comic books and the ones I do like aren't really for everyone, (Heavy Metal), but I do read graphic novels on occasion. The one I really enjoyed was 1602, which is really just a hard cover compilation of the series. It's really good, I think. It's good, especially if you like Neil Gaiman.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 01:09 PM       
Dude, read Watchmen. That's one of the finest comics ever written.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 01:15 PM       
My friend gave me a copy of that. I generally dislike comic books, but I actually read through all of Watchmen.
Adult Adaptor
Cliff Steele is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 03:00 PM       
The Invisibles!
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 12:44 PM       
Hey Cliff, did you feel that with the Invisibles, a lot of story arcs started off with fantastic potential but then ended kind of disappointingly, or was that just me?
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 12:11 PM       
Preacher. I might get HBO in the future for the sole purpose of watching the Tv show when it comes out, btw.
Forum Virgin
demonbird is probably a spambot
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 01:41 PM       
I like Neil Gaiman's The Sandman also. It's probably my favorite. Another really good one is Transmetropolitan. I highly recommend reading it.
Creepy Old Fart
JediScum is probably a spambot
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 05:18 PM       
"Like A Velvet Glove Cast In Iron" graphic novel by Daniel Clowes (of "Eightball" fame).
CHIEF OF POLICE
MLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 11:29 AM       
I agree wholeheartedly with Watchmen! It was actually a New York Times bestseller!
AlliSabbah is probably a spambot
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 12:12 AM       
I am about to show my somewhat advanced age when I recommend the Ghost Rider Comics from the 70's and 80's The sad thing is I still have a subscription to the current incarnation of poor old Gr and its a whole lot of nothing. Im still going to tough it out in the hopes of it becomming entertaining.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 05:32 PM       
I read the watchmen a couple months ago and fucking loved it. I was kind of amazed that no one had told me to read it.... but then again, I don't think many of my friends read a whole lot to begin with.

That was very funny. Well done.
Forum Virgin
Naught is probably a spambot
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 12:24 AM       
I just started getting into Simon Dark and I love it, despite the fact that there are only two issues out so far (debuted in October). It's written by Steve Niles, who did 30 Days of Night, which I was also a fan of. It all takes place in Gotham City, so I imagine that we might be seeing Batman involved somewhere down the line.
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 12:25 AM       
The new X-Factor comic. Noir and Peter David goodness.
Mongoloid
Cedar is probably a spambot
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 09:25 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Steele View Post
The Invisibles!
fuck yeah!
rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 02:28 AM       
the maxx

period
Adult Adaptor
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:05 PM       
Quote:
Protoclown wrote:
Hey Cliff, did you feel that with the Invisibles, a lot of story arcs started off with fantastic potential but then ended kind of disappointingly, or was that just me?
I absolutely hated the ending at first just because I couldn't even tell what was going on! Once the trade came out though and Ashley Wood's pages were removed I understood and liked it, but the whole third volume felt extremely rushed and lended itself to plenty of confusion, if Morrison would have had about 10 more issues to work with I think the picture would have been alot clearer. Also, and this is no fault of the writer, but like preacher, I quit enjoying the series nearly as much when Vertigo cut the letter columns, best part of the book.
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 11:46 AM       
SUPERBOY AND THE RAVERS!

Okay, never mind. But does anybody know if the Absolute Watchmen is still in print? I'd love a hardcover of the graphic novel.
Adult Adaptor
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 03:26 PM       
Indeed it is, and mail order comics has it for cheap :O

http://www.mailordercomics.com/prodD...asp?PID=220829
Forum Virgin
ponchochris is probably a spambot
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 12:03 PM       
even though it got a bit clusterfucked towards the end, seven soldiers of victory by grant morrison is written really well; it has some of my favourite words and sentences that have ever been written printed on those ridiculously good looking pages
Zombie Basher
Dr. Octogonopus is probably a spambot
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:31 PM       
I'm too afraid to go into the comic book store near my house. I'm pretty sure that fat guy who owns it would eat me.
Official Punching Bag
JakeOfAllTrades is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 09:28 AM       
The two Manga comics I'd recommend are Yotsuba&! and Apollo's Song.

Yotsuba&! is an all ages Manga, but that doesn't mean it's just for kids. It's "all ages". It's also some of the funniest Manga I've ever read. It's essentially about this young girl and her slacker dad who move into a new town and meet the somewhat crazy people who live there. Highly recommended.

The other one, Apollo's Song, is a lot sadder than Yotsuba&! is even at its darkest moments. It's essentially like a Greek tragedy with an Eastern take on it, as in, a man who has forsaken love by committing terrible crimes against it, is doomed to love the same woman throughout many reincarnations and rebirths. The ending is heartbreaking. I will not spoil it, but Osamu Tezuka, the guy who wrote and drew it (famous for Astro Boy) is also famous for his tragic endings. Even his 8 volume work Buddha ain't nearly as heartwrenching as this one. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't read it, just don't read it on the day a girl dumps you... or I will not be responsible for the consequences...
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:44 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoclown View Post
Dude, read Watchmen. That's one of the finest comics ever written.
I recently bought and read Watchmen, and absolutely love it. I just hope the new Watchmen movie doesn't suck too much.
Official Punching Bag
JakeOfAllTrades is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:57 PM       
If you like Watchmen, "DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore" will please you. Both "Batman: The Killing Joke", the best Batman story ever printed in my opinion, and "What Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", a Superman story drawn by Curt Swan which is an "imaginary story" that was done as a finale to the pre-Crisis Superman. Some of the other stories in it are OK too.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 10:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeOfAllTrades View Post
If you like Watchmen, "DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore" will please you. Both "Batman: The Killing Joke", the best Batman story ever printed in my opinion, and "What Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", a Superman story drawn by Curt Swan which is an "imaginary story" that was done as a finale to the pre-Crisis Superman. Some of the other stories in it are OK too.
I was looking through some old books the other day and was surprised that I actually owned The Killing Joke. Apparently I bought it second hand from a local store a while back.