DS
-Released November 21st
-16 games reviewed
-Average review score: 6.61

PSP
-Released March 24th
-14 games reviewed
-Average review score: 7.65

DS games scoring 8.0 or higher: Super Mario DS (1 game)
PSP games scoring 8.0 or higher: Metal Gear Acid, Wipeout Pure, Twisted Metal: Head-On, Ridge Racer, Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower, Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix, Lumines (7 games)

DS games scoring 6.0 or lower: Retro Atari Classics, Pokemon Dash, Ping Pals, Sprung, Spider-Man 2 (5 games)
PSP games scoring 6.0 or lower: Gretzky NHL (1 game)

I'm going to Best Buy today, and I'm going to try really fucking hard not to leave with a PSP. :/
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 01:29 PM       
suggestions for this topic:

-no more discussion on how psp has low battery life
-no more discussion on the psps which have dodgy buttons, pixels, casings, etc

hate to be a facist or anything, but the forementioned points have been talked about a million times before, and im sick of hearing about them

anyway, i plan to get a DS in the summer, depending on when castlevania/ metroid/ mario kart come out for it, as there isnt much out at the moment i could be bothered with. except for wario ware, which rocks

Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 01:56 PM       
I already have a DS, and I plan on getting a PSP eventually, but not until there is a significant price drop. At the moment, the only thing you can buy is the 270 dollar value pack, and that is ridiculous. Plus, I am saving up for an IBook, so I can't spend that much fucking money on something that has no games that I am interested in at the moment.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 03:41 PM       
Metal Gear Acid, Wipeout Pure, Twisted Metal: Head-On, Ridge Racer, Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower, Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix, Lumines (7 games)

Do any of these games excite you though? Just cause they have a good score doesn't mean much. Metal Gear Acid looks interesting but other than that, Darkstalkers is the only one that interests me.

As far as the DS, it is going to take a long time for the awesome games to come out. I am waiting for the exclusive Nintendo titles and for me that is reason enough to own any Nintendo system. Nintendo is on top of the hand held scene and it's cool to see some worthy competition rolling in. The GBA and DS together are a tough team though. The PSP is going to have some awesome support by developers and I can't wait for games like GTA to start rolling on the PSP. It's also a movie player which is pretty cool for travelling and will mean that we will be seeing a mix of both games and movies = more titles.

The DS and PSP are both worth the purchases in my mind. Nintendo will put all its cards on the table once the PSP starts taking away consumers. I just don't think they feel it is time to focus one the DS. I would disagree cause they should have launched better but oh well that is Nintendo.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 03:46 PM       
i have no passion to purchase either really.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 04:15 PM        Re: PSP vs DS
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
PSP games scoring 8.0 or higher: Metal Gear Acid, Wipeout Pure, Twisted Metal: Head-On, Ridge Racer, Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower, Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix, Lumines (7 games)
Wasn't your major complaint about the GBA that many of its games were just remakes of older games?
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 04:20 PM       
I seem to remember him saying that at one point as well. I want both, but so far, there is only one game I want for it, and the movies aren't a big enough incentive cuz I'm getting a laptop with a DVD drive.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 05:50 PM       
I wish Sony hadn't felt the need to invent TWO new proprietary storage media for the PSP. And NONE of the games mentioned thus far have my interest. :/
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 06:09 PM       
isnt anyone gonna post that funny movie where the psp ejects the disc lol that is a funny movie lol someone should edit it so that after the disc eject sit says "PSPWNED LOL" in the middle of the screen!
Mocker
EverythingWillSuck is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 06:56 PM       
or 'stfu newbie'
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:01 PM        Re: PSP vs DS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Wasn't your major complaint about the GBA that many of its games were just remakes of older games?

Well, "remake" is being quite generous in regards to a lot of the ports put on the GBA (Super Mario Bros 2... now with DRAGON COINS!). Not all of those games are remakes. THUG2 Remix and Darkstalkers are the only ones that come close, but THUG2R has FOUR new levels, and supposedly more goals for each existing level. Darkstalkers is more of an MK Trilogy-style game, featuring all the characters from all the games put together. In other words, both games feature for more additonal content than you'd ever find in an NES/SNES port to justify paying $40.

As far as I know, Wipeout is a new game. MGA is a new game. Twisted Metal is a new game. Ridge Racer MIGHT be a remake, but I don't know anything about it to say this or that about it.

I'd rather pay $40 for a "remake" of THUG2 than $40 for Super Mario Brothers 2... NOW WITH DRAGON COINS!!!!!1one
CKY2K is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:01 PM       
You can play movies and MP3s on a GBA/DS with a flash card.

Fuck radio, fuck MTV.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:08 PM       
wasnt MGA a crappy card game?

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:10 PM       
wipeout xl was a futuristic racing game for playstation
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:13 PM       
no i mean metal gear acid, is a card game. like the guy from ign said :Yu-Gi-Oh with a gun.

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Mocker
thebiggameover is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:37 PM       
its ridge racers, with new tracks, and highly updated gfx....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasill
The same reason I don't hit kids, i'm not 100% sure thier mine.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 02:03 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by timrpgland
Metal Gear Acid, Wipeout Pure, Twisted Metal: Head-On, Ridge Racer, Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower, Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix, Lumines (7 games)

Do any of these games excite you though? Just cause they have a good score doesn't mean much. Metal Gear Acid looks interesting but other than that, Darkstalkers is the only one that interests me.
Missed this before. I'm very interested in MGA and Lumines, and would be willing to buy them without prior hands-on experience experience. The others interest me enough that I'd rent them to find out more about them, and I'm tempted enough the think I'd enjoy purchasing Darkstalkers and Wipeout. That's 4 games; The same number of GBA games I own since its release.
LIVE @ THE GHETTO HILTON!
jin is probably a spambot
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 03:05 AM       
I played MGS, its not really that great at all ;/

Ridge Racers was incredibly addictive though, a flashy game to show some of the potential of the system with arcade gameplay. ;0

I also got Armored Core: Formula Front, which is pretty damn addictive and awesome too - the graphics are incredible :D

Darkstalkers looks mediocre, and the loading times are meant to be pretty crippling too ;<

Ridge Racers really excels out of the launch batch, especially with its online connectivity - you can host a game and play over a broadband connection with the right software/hardware ;D

But it is true that the launch games aren't that exciting at all - looking over the developers signed on begin to excite though; especially like the new FFVII action-adventure game, GT4 Mobile, and Devil May Cry ;O
Mocker
thebiggameover is probably a spambot
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 06:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by jin
GT4 Mobile,
I will get a psp as soon as that comes out...

and isnt ff3j coming out of the DS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasill
The same reason I don't hit kids, i'm not 100% sure thier mine.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 02:46 PM       
So really, both systems are putting out a bunch of remakes. It's just a question of which remakes you'd most like to have.

Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 05:32 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie
So really, both systems are putting out a bunch of remakes. It's just a question of which remakes you'd most like to have.

It's nice to know Boogie's reading comprehension is as top-notch as always.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 05:46 PM       
james, gamespot's averages on these two systems aren't a strong argument about anything. mainly because gamespot's reviewers are all lobotomized twice or something
Drev is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 06:22 PM       
I think nintendo will finally lose in the portable competition because I feel that they know what needs to be done to topple the PSP, but they won't do it. Mp3 player? Nope. Movie player? Nope (even though I find it kinda stupid). They might have a tough screen like a DS (which I think all portables should have now because playing Warioware: Touched was fun.

I've been finding PSPs at one store here for only $250 and comes with the Spider-Man 2 movie.

I might buy it in the summer.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 06:50 PM       
Nintendo is planning on releasing an add-on to play movies and .mp3's, I believe.

I think it's just safe to say that the PSP is the first ever legitimate contender to Nintendo's monopoly on the handheld market, which is really my main point in displaying those numbers.

It was unfortunate Nintendo decided to create conflict within the company by trying to manage two haldheld systems simultaneously, because they voluntarily weakened their own stranglehold on the market, which will only make it that much easier for Sony to be considered tough competition.
Puddle Pirate! ARRRR!
DamnthatDavid is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:27 PM       
Like I said before, all Nintendo needs to do is make Starcraft for the DS, and every person with Korean blood will buy it. Nintendo will be saved.