Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker

James sucks
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 06:19 PM        How do YOU take DVD screencaps?
I used to use a program by Ulead, and it worked incredibly well. Push "C," and the screenshot is saved to the folder. However, when I got my new computer, the program had a bug that caused my monitor to stop responding (so if it went into sleep mode, it wouldn't come back out). There was supposedly a patch on Ulead's site, but it the URL was bad, and I never got any response back from my emails.

My new computer came with a scaled-down version of PowerDVD, whish is essentially just there to work with Windows Media Center to run (WMC won't play if you uninstall PowerDVD). And the only way to take screencaps with that is via Print Screen, but even if you turn off accelleration, it doesn't work right (same with WMP).

Windows Media Center is my only way to take screencaps, and that's via Print Screen. However, if I take a screencap while paused, the media bar will show up in the image. I have to do it WHILE the video is playing. :/

So, I was wondering how YOU take screencaps, and how you obtained your program for it. I heard good things about PowerDVD, but I'm worried that Media Center won't work if I replace the copy that came with my system.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 06:37 PM       
use fraps
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 06:39 PM       
of course i don't have to, cause the full version of powerdvd came w/ my dvd burner but fraps SHOULD work for screenshots of whatever, if i remember right
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 06:46 PM       
Yeah FRAPS should work just fine.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 07:16 PM       
Yeah, Ulead came with my old burner, and PowerDVD came packed on my new system, except it's a super scaled down version. WHY I need one DVD program for another to run is really silly though.

I'll give fraps a shot though, thanks.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 07:38 PM       
Wait, Fraps is only for game screenshots.

Wait, no, I got it working now, I think.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 09:06 PM       
Well, I just fucked my system up. I tried to uninstall PowerDVD, which caused Media Center to not work right. So I did a System Restore. Now PowerDVD doesn't work, and I now have no audio for DVDs.

ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 10:15 PM       
that's what happens when you add something else to the mix, so to speak.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 10:55 PM       
So apparently, PowerDVD is not only a standalone player, but also the decoder for Media Center/Media Player/possibly anything else I'll ever have that plays DVDs. So when I uninstalled it, I broked everything.

Thankfully, Dell's customer service isn't total shit when chatting online, so I'll be getting the CD I need to fix it, and possibly other CDs for all my other programs. Hooray!
Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 03:13 AM       
the dvd player that came with my computer is called InterVideo WinDVD. It has a screencap button, all the caps save as bmps into thier own folders.