Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 06:14 AM        Proof
I don't know if I ever made a thread for this, but it's one of my favorite movies of all time. It came out in 2005 or 2006 or something.

The best part about talking about this movie is that nobody has heard of it despite like a $30 million casting budget and maybe a $42.50 filming/production budget. They lifted it from a stage play and felt like money needed to be used somehow in the project, you see. But anyways, the high-profileness of the cast versus its total obscurity as a release lets you talk about "this great movie where Anthony Hopkins plays as this incalculably intelligent academic who goes insane" and then you can lay it on real thick-like and everyone's yelling at you "it's Silence of the Lambs, you twat!" or "You're talking about Hannibal Lecter, an iconic image of 20th Century film, you twat!" and you can be all like, "no, no, I don't think so."

After several minutes you reveal that the "going insane" part doesn't involve murder and cannibalism, but rather just paranoid decryption of random data and a tendency to shit himself, right before you "remember" that the movie was called Proof.

Anyways, it's set at my original college setting, so the whole movie is surreally sentimental for me because they talk about personally familiar subjects and they do so in streets where I'd walk daily and in lecture halls I'd have attended daily had I attended class as often as I was expected to.

If you carry the plot to its logical conclusion, it seems to imply that merely living in close proximity to the university will give you mental powers of literally historic magnitude. So it'd be cool if people watched this movie more and built that association when they read my résumé next time I apply to work at a mall department store.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:43 AM       
Is that the same place you were kicked out of for going insane?
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:41 AM       
Yes.
Twice.

Before getting kicked out of the place near where I live now for merely being insane.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 05:28 PM