Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 06:58 AM       
Quote:
I used to subscribe to the "ignorance is bliss" theory, but consider this: If someone gave you the option to go back to when you were born and make you blissfully ignorant from day one, never gaining even a fraction of the knowledge you now have, but being forever content in your stupor, would you accept?
GOD yes.

-willie

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 09:00 AM       
Enlightenment .With great knowledge comes a great understanding- an understanding outside of yourself. With that kind of great knowledge comes acceptance which brings contentment and peace. Right.. so I am talking about the difference between knowing vs. understanding, and intellectual skills vs. wisdom. The world is full of ‘smart’ people, but I think there are few who have wisdom. I personally consider those with wisdom the most intelligent.
One of the reasons I consider myself an idiot is because I truly have no peace. I have no peace partially because I can not gain perspective. I don't consider myself an idiot because I am not good at math or I don't know how to fix a car. Yes I may have a visual talent, but everyone has some kind of talent, whether its criminal, cooking, farming, raising kids, being a salesman or being a physicist. Talent is a form of intelligence, but I wouldn't call it a particularly high intelligence since everyone possesses it. (someone call me a Commie)
There are way too many people who have some 'special' talent who are miserable people. So there is nothing special about that because it’s so common Also, people who think they are smarter or better than all/or most people lack perspective and are full of contempt and lack appreciation, therefore they are miserable.
I would say that prodigy's are perfectionists by nature. Perfectionists will always be miserable because they cannot accept things. So they will never have peace. They are also miserable because even though they have one special talent or form of intelligence they often severely lack in others as a result. And therefore certain aspects of life are more difficult for them. There is certainly a benefit to being a well-rounded person.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 11:30 AM       
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all. "

- Socrates

I wholeheartedly agree that intellectual modesty is a good thing ... not only in realizing in wonder the impressive traits, qualities, skills, ect of others but telling them so, becoming interested, asking them about it, ect. Not only might you learn something but you make them feel better about themselves and you make yourself feel better in the fellowship.

Wherever you go, there you are.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 03:26 PM       
Maybe you guys just want an excuse to feel intelligent. Are you calling every Goth intelligent? Oh god no.
What about those who subscribe to an "Emotional State" just so they can fit.
Some and all are two completely different things, they do not equate eachother just because some intelligent people happen to be depressed(All bills are johns, some johns are marys. Are all bills Marys?). Maybe intelligence is just a result of abnormalities, a "Mutation" so to speak. As going through life with a different outlook than the norm can form alternate perceptions, giving you a vaster view of the world when you can also see the normal view of the world.
An intelligent person just realizes how much of a moron they really are, so they get sad. Stupid people just can't figure it out, but get sad about other things. Like the head falling off of barbie. Or when you sister flushes your fishies down the toilet after putting lotion on them

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 12:22 AM       
I always thought true genuises have been unhappy b/c they have no one to share it with. No one is on their level and they feel alienated which I think affects the artistic genius more so than someone mathematically inclined. Apart of artistic genius is being creative which means you will be different from other artistic genius whereas math is a matter of level. It's also why I think there are so many problems in the music industry and other artistic geniuses b/c they are alone.

In other words, all the really prodigistic persons have the "no one gets it" mentality and are thus alienated. You can only talk about how much beer you drank the night before for a short time before you get bored.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 12:58 AM       
That's why you get drunk again, goto a party, get into a fight. Break into someone's car, jack their stereo, pawn it off, buy some weed, get high, talk philosophy, theology, mythology, science, crazy bullshit and improv poetry on the spot, listen to music, write music, goto friends house, jam while drinking a gallon of vodka and having no fucking clue what the fuck you're gonna sing or what the fuck the people are going to play.. but still manage to flow accordingly.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 10:39 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkgrrrlie10
No one is on their level and they feel alienated which I think affects the artistic genius more so than someone mathematically inclined. Apart of artistic genius is being creative which means you will be different from other artistic genius whereas math is a matter of level.
Don't you think high-level mathematics, engineering, scientists, ect involves a high level of original, creative thought and composition? Take a look at where a lot of the most of today's modern philosophers are sprouting from.

In fact, here's a good website to look at:

LINK

Wherever you go, there you are.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 05:48 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkgrrrlie10
In other words, all the really prodigistic persons have the "no one gets it" mentality and are thus alienated.
Alienation does not equal unhappiness. Some people like being alienated. Like these people:

The Alien Elite
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 06:25 PM       
How very true. It all depends on whether or not you are an extrovert or an introvert.

I tend to be an introvert, which is why I don't mind never going to parties, seeing friends, etc.
BANNED

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 07:05 PM       
NOBODY UNDERSTANDS ME, IM SO SAD AND LONELY.

*cries softly to electric wizard*