Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Zosimus is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 12:17 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Robo

CHRISTIAN AND MUSLIM BOMB CONVENTION 2003

Soundtest is cool. Shut up
You can obviously also be very uncool. Jeanette is right, and the wild kitties were VERY cool! So there :P!
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 12:47 PM       
Thanks for posting that article, Jeanette. I may just send that along, but I doubt it will make much of an impact. And to send her some information and history about Islam wouldn't do any good either, because "they're all going straight to hell because they don't follow Jesus".

And the reason I don't block her email address is because occasionally she writes me real letters.

I usually just delete the forwards, especially since my mom usually turns right around and sends them to me AGAIN (she doesn't seem to notice that I'm on the original list for some reason...but she's pretty new to this email thing so Il let it slide), but my mom just sends "cute" little stories and jokes. Shit that annoys me, but doesn't piss me off.

Sometimes I actually look at the forwards, and this is one of those times. I almost wish I hadn't, but at the same time maybe I can actually cure some ignorance if I talk to her about it. Though I know that arguing such things with old people who are already firmly set in their ways is usually quite futile.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 29th, 2003, 01:49 PM       
If my Grandma emailed me sothing like that I'd be all

"What the FUCK, Grandma, why'd you email that to me, what are you some FUCKING BIGOTTED RETARD?"

And she'd go

"Why are you yelling at me, potty mouth? I died before email was widely used and even then I could barely work toaster oven let alone a VCR."
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 01:57 PM       
If I could e-mail to the great beyond, I'd e-mail my dog a JPG of Liva-Snaps because he like them a lot. I don't get it though. I didn't think they tasted all that good.

Wherever you go, there you are.

FS is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 02:00 PM       
I see that this can only be settled in a knife fight.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 02:02 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtest
How the fuck does that make me bigoted? I was laughing at the fact that a quote like that would be hard to argue with politically.
I thought you were laughing at the idea that a Muslim would feel like they were a part of America. My apologies, Soundtest. I misunderstood.
And Proto, even if she thinks that they are all going to hell, there still is some possibility of convincing her that not all Muslims are monsters.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 29th, 2003, 02:06 PM       
I bet all grandmas are card-carrying Nazis incognito.
hAS RUG-BURN
Evil Robot is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 06:10 PM       
I don't care what those muslim bastards say about terrorism. Truth is that besides 9/11, they really suck at blowing things up. The Irish are much more effective terrorists then those slow witted sand monkeys. Muslims lack the 12 volt wiring and automotive skills to make good car bombs, and their ambush plans usually lack the flexibilty needed for real life situations.
The Goddamned Batman
Old May 29th, 2003, 06:27 PM       
Okay, I got a response from my grandmother today where she replied to my "This is a really bad joke, right?" mail. Here is an excerpt of what she sent me (the rest is irrelevant to this discussion, unless you want to know about the weather in Florida):

dEAR jASON: i DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS A HOAX OR NOT BUT i HAVE RECEIVED IT SEVERAL TIMES FROM SEVERAL DIFFERENT PEOPLE. I SURE HOPE IT IS NOT TRUE BUT YOU CAN BET I WILL KEEP MY EYE ON THE STAMPS AT THE POST OFFICE. THAT WOULD SURE BE A SLAP IN THE FACE OF THE U.S. IF IT IS TRUE.

And yes, sadly, that's exactly how it arrived in my inbox. But hey, she's old, she doesn't know about the whole caps lock thing.

That really upset me. She completely missed what I was trying to say, and realizing that I was a bit vague, I decided to send a much clearer response to the group:

I'm sorry, but I cannot remember the last time I was so upset by something I received in my mailbox, and my reply was apparently misunderstood (I was upset by this mail itself, not the stamp), based on the response I got. I don't mean to start anything here but I cannot remain silent on something I feel so strongly about.

To make myself clear, I SINCERELY hope nobody is taking this "boycott" seriously. There were MUSLIM AMERICANS who died in many of those attacks as well. I have several good MUSLIM friends, one of whom is currently serving in the U.S. Navy. The religion of Islam, while not my own preference, is at heart a relatively peaceful one (at least as much as any other). The extremists who have been attacking the US are insane fringe groups that are by no means representative of the religion as a whole. As such we should not discriminate against Muslims, many of whom just want to live peaceful lives and are as "American" as any of us on this list. Is there any religion on this earth that doesn't have members who are wacko extremists? I have yet to find one.

This notion of a boycott is ridiculous anyway when you consider that we (and anyone who would forward this email) are obviously not the demographic the stamp is aimed for. Since none of us would be inclined to purchase such a stamp in the first place, it does absolutely no good to actively boycott something you wouldn't buy anyway. The Muslim Americans who the stamp WAS made for are going to buy the stamp regardless. It celebrates their religious holiday season, just like the Christmas and Hanukkah stamps. And that, I think, is a good thing. There are a lot of Muslims in this country and instead of shunning them blindly we should accept them as our friends and neighbors. Because that's all most of them are, and all most of them WANT to be. Muslims aren't dangerous, nor are they the enemy. CRAZY Muslims are dangerous. Just like crazy Christians, Jews, Atheists, etc.

The only "slap in the face" to America I see going on here is in the creation of this email in the first place. The person who wrote it obviously doesn't have much of an idea what America stands for. In the past year and a half since the September 11th attacks, I have become disgusted with the direction our country has taken. Instead of trying to unite the world in peace, we have decided to divide it with hate and war. I think our actions have shamed those souls that died on that horrible day. Martin Luther King Jr. said "Peace is not merely a goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal". The United States is not seeking peace. That is not our goal. But it should be. (And no, I haven't turned into some kind of granola munching hippy who wants to abolish the military, but there is a time and a place and lately I think our motives have been severely misplaced).

I urge everyone to delete this stamp boycott mail and forward it to absolutely NO ONE. It only spreads the hate and paranoia that we should have learned to avoid after September 11th. Once again, I don't mean to upset anyone, but I can only bite my tongue to a point before I have to speak out. If I did upset you, by all means, speak up, and maybe we can learn a thing or two from each other.

I tried to be VERY polite and reasonable about it. I'm sure somebody is going to get huffy and pissed off about it though. I'll keep you posted if anything interesting flies into my inbox.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old May 29th, 2003, 06:32 PM       
Looks like no more fresh baked cookies for you anymore, proto .
The Goddamned Batman
Old May 29th, 2003, 06:36 PM       
I tried to restrain myself as much as possible. Do you think I went too far?

I think it was a very carefully written mail. I hope I'm not wrong.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old May 29th, 2003, 06:38 PM       
I'm just joking

I don't think you went too far. It sounds like you mean well in the letter. But if I sent something like that to my grandmother, even if I told her I meant well, she would smash my car windows in :/ .
The Goddamned Batman
Old May 29th, 2003, 06:40 PM       
If there's anything worth being disowned by your extended family for, it's this.

Or dating a black girl.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 07:48 PM       
Well said Proto. Let us know how this turns out.
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 08:10 PM       
i need a holding-up-the-burning-lighter emoticon. :P i'm proud of you for taking a speaking your peace, proto. it was worth it to do, even if it doesn't expand even one person's worldview even just a bit.
The Goddamned Batman
Old May 29th, 2003, 08:42 PM       
Thanks guys. That means a lot.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 08:42 PM       
I thihk that was a good response. How old is your granma anyway

Wang is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 09:17 PM       
i dont have to worry about my grandma doing something like that. se can hardly speak english and they dont own a computer

check out my fav website: megatokyo.com!(so what if i cant make a link? shutup!)
NEW FACE IN HELL
Old May 29th, 2003, 09:31 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wang
se can hardly speak english and they dont own a computer
It must run in the family.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:08 PM       
Quote:
mom just sends "cute" little stories and jokes. Shit that annoys me, but doesn't piss me off.
My dad does this too.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old May 30th, 2003, 04:03 AM       
why did you choose to post this in GB instead of poli/philo?

FS is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2003, 04:32 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoclown
Is there any religion on this earth that doesn't have members who are wacko extremists? I have yet to find one.
Buddhism? Raelianism? Church for the Greater Glory and Improved Lifestyle of FS?

That was a very good response, I think. I hope, even if it doesn't sway her from her opinion, she'll respect yours.
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2003, 04:38 AM       
Buddhism doesn't belong there really, it does because Buddhists don't tend to take people with them, but some monks set themselves on fire.
The Goddamned Batman
Old May 30th, 2003, 12:08 PM       
Good point, Italian. I'm going to move it to the Political forum, where it belongs.

I showed it to one of my best friends and he said I probably should have just ignored it rather than assert my opinion on all of them.
Red, dead meat!
Carnivore is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2003, 02:53 PM       
Well he's wrong, God dammit! Dead wrong. You did right, son. And I'm proud of you