Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 11:26 PM       
The Rum Diary.

I think Johnny Depp just wanted to play Hunter S Thompson again. And he did, with the Hunter S Thompson voice and the Robert Downey Jr eyes. Also, Giovanni Ribisi sounded exactly like Red Green.

I read the novel in less time than it took the film version to get to the point. Not exaggerating there, even when you factor in that the movie wasn't actually as long as the 6 hours it felt like.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 11:29 PM       
Although, I see that Giovanni Ribisi is going to play David Koresh and I will be all over that shit.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 01:55 AM       
is the rum diaries even worth watching?
teacup of sunshine
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 09:28 AM       
It's worth reading, anyway.

I don't know, the movie just seemed like it was going on and on forever. It kind of made you conscious of how camera angles and shots were set up, and that was odd. Like you knew that they had just trooped down to the beach, set up, said their lines and went back to the hotel.

There were a couple of funny parts, but he was going for more of the "Hunter S Thompson is an intense and moral political activist" thing than the "Hunter S Thompson is a funny stoned-off-his-ass guy who proffers deadpan witticisms with a cigarette holder clenched in his teeth" thing, so the whole tone of the film was very different. It felt like he played him older, when the character was supposed to have been younger.

I think if we wait around long enough, he'll take on "Hell's Angels" too.
teacup of sunshine
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 09:29 AM       
Aside: have you seen "Where the Buffalo Roam"?
teacup of sunshine
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 12:01 PM       
Here, this is about as close as he gets to "Fear and Loathing" Depp-Thompson.

http://movieclips.com/kSPV-the-rum-d...satory-giblet/
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 04:27 PM       
yea iveseen where the buffalo roam

i liked it but it sort of drags in parts. I hear hunter s thompson hated bill murray though
teacup of sunshine
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 05:59 PM       
He took actors into his home to study him, and they came out aping him to the point where lots of other people found them to have become assholes. I've heard that about Bill Murray and Johnny Depp both, although I'm reserving judgement there. Probably you learn a lot living in Hunter S Thompson's basement and being privy to what went on in that head of his.
aint nobody

All Hail Duke is probably a spambot
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 09:07 PM       
innerspace

☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 05:10 PM       
Hunter and Depp wanted to turn Rum Diaries into a movie first. No one would fund them so they decided to go with a Hollywood hit to get Rum Diaries green lighted.
teacup of sunshine
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 10:14 PM       
Yeah, I saw some interview that was typical hunter s thompson madlibs about a colossal and enduring jerkaround or something.

Re-watched Munich. Love that movie.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 10:06 AM       
I watched about half of rum diaries so far. Were the non-daytime scenes really dark for you when you were watching it?
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 02:18 PM       
I was in a theater and it looked fine.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 04:48 PM       
maybe it was just the tv then, when I was watching it it resembled the lighting used in alien vs predator 2. Like it was filmed through a velvet cloth lense.
teacup of sunshine
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 11:13 PM       
looked ok to me
*SMILE SMILE*
Otto is probably pretty okOtto is probably pretty okOtto is probably pretty okOtto is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 08:36 PM       
I always wanted to see Fear and Loathing with some of the actors they originally wanted when it was being pitched to different studios. I swear I read somewhere that they originally wanted Jack Nicholson to play Duke and Marlon Brando to play Gonzo. And Scorsese to direct it.
"You've gotta' look to the future. The future is anarchy. I'm talking about lawlessness, I'm talking about the Lebanons of the future. I'm talking about the breakdown of the whole system. The military defending people against people. You won't get your appropriations waving that flag, there's no glory in that kind of warfare!"
teacup of sunshine
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 10:49 PM       
Being Elmo. It was a nice, happy documentary that ended on a positive note and it was all I see what you did there.
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 01:09 AM       
Gremlins 2: The New Batch

and what a batch it was!
*SMILE SMILE*
Otto is probably pretty okOtto is probably pretty okOtto is probably pretty okOtto is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 12:42 PM       
Matinee.
I expected a Cohen Brother-esque rise and fall story based on the life of a character based on fifties B-movie directors, based on the Netflix description. Instead I got a "ha-ha it's the fifties! OH NO THE COLD WAR!" kid's movie. Also John Goodman's head looked like it was going to sink into his neckrolls at any minute, like Atlantis falling into the sea.

The little references to b-movies and huge nod to William Castle were nice, though.
"You've gotta' look to the future. The future is anarchy. I'm talking about lawlessness, I'm talking about the Lebanons of the future. I'm talking about the breakdown of the whole system. The military defending people against people. You won't get your appropriations waving that flag, there's no glory in that kind of warfare!"
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 01:05 PM       
The Grey

I love survival stuff like this. You know, the man vs. nature kind of shit. Extremely well made movie and sympathetic well written characters for the most part. Loved it and I will watch this one again once it comes out on DVD.
teacup of sunshine
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 06:31 PM       
Sin Nombre.

Damn, Mexico be scary.
aint nobody

All Hail Duke is probably a spambot
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 12:20 AM       
x-men first class

first time i've watched it in a while, and it's still good, even though all the female performances still sucked
BANNED

Old Mar 5th, 2012, 01:54 AM       
watched dr. strangelove

really want to make a fluoride avatar now
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 03:25 PM       
Saw the Descendants this morning and thought it was pretty damn good. Nothing groundbreaking or anything. I think it says a lot about last year's movies that this was such an award-nominated film. Maybe I just EXPECT TOO MUCH.

Also saw Brick last night and didn't really like it. Sorry Fathom! What's-her-name was sexy Milhouse-style though. This one.

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
SKATASTIC
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 04:09 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
watched dr. strangelove

really want to make a fluoride avatar now
Love that movie.