Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 03:32 PM        Fred Phelps
An online friend of mine attends the school that's the subject of the protest. I got it here:

http://websterjournal.collegepublish...ws/386015.html

Hate group to protest WU play
Topeka-based church thinks "The Laramie Project," Webster advocate sin

By Lindy Bunte
A controversial Kansas church is planning to protest a Webster Conservatory play April 5. The church made its plans known last week via mass faxing to university departments.

"The demon-possessed Webster Univ. administration/ faculty are world-class hypocrites, pretending they encourage a full, free, open, robust exchange of ideas -- market place of ideas, they call their campus," read the fax. "Except on the fag issue, it's all one way. Satan's way!"

The Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) of Topeka, Kan. -- led by Pastor Fred Phelps -- has been protesting productions of "The Laramie Project" at high school and college campuses across the nation because it believes the play promotes homosexuality.

"The Laramie Project," written by Moises Kaufman, examines a community's reactions to a hate crime against Matthew Shepard, a 21-year-old college student. Shepard was kidnapped, severely beaten, tied to a fence and left to die outside Laramie, Wyo., in October 1998.

Phelps not only disagrees with the message of the play, but he also believes the character based on himself is misrepresented.

"The play casts me as the culprit -- that's what all the fags think," Phelps said in a recent phone interview.

Bill Lynch, director of Webster's production of "The Laramie Project" and an associate professor in the theatre and dance department, said he was expecting the protest but doesn't think it will have a negative effect on the production of the play.

"If the purpose of the play is to foster discussion, then (Phelps) serves to invigorate that," Lynch said.

Senior Jennifer Fisher, a costume designer for "The Laramie Project," also wasn't surprised to see the fax.

"I always had this thing in the back of my mind that something like this might happen," she said. "But I never thought the big reverend (Fred Phelps) himself would come."

Fisher also doesn't think the protest will have a negative effect on the performance or turnout. She said the production wasn't expected to draw the conservative community members -- like those who left the theater after a gay couple kissed in last year's production of "Fifth of July." But she said all involved with the play are proud to be a part of it.

"For the performers sake, it might get them pepped up more," Fisher said. "It definitely won't make them feel negative at all because this (play) isn't wrong."

One effect Fisher would like to see is a counterprotest. Webster Pride -- the university's student organization for lesbian, gay and bisexual rights -- said it has not yet decided what reaction, if any, it will take. But the group isn't worried about WBC's message.

"Fred Phelps is a ridiculous extremist who benefits lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights by swaying the fence sitters to our side," they said in a statement. "No rational individual wants to be associated with him or his views."

Shirley Phelps, attorney for the WBC, said opposition is common at the church's protests.

"There are always a certain amount of kids running around calling themselves counterprotesters," she said. "They are usually disheveled and disorganized -- as freakish on the inside as the outside."

Webster freshman Jamie Fields said she's not in support of homosexuality but would support a counterprotest.

"It makes me sick," she said. "They're using the church to back that up."

Senior Curtis Conrod agreed with Fields.

"It gives Christians a bad name," he said. "I don't agree with homosexuality, but I don't think God hates gay people -- that's not what the Bible says."

Jon Prouty, Campus Conservatives president, said it doesn't bother him that Webster is performing "The Laramie Project." But the fax did bother him.

"I think it's disgusting," Prouty said. "People like those are people who give moderate and mainstream conservatives a bad name."

Student Government Association Vice President Daniel Lisella said he's proud Webster supports the play.

"While Fred Phelps is entitled to his opinion as everyone else is, I'm still glad that I go to a school as open-minded as Webster concerning sexual preference," Lisella said.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 04:25 PM       
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 04:40 PM       
You know, I'm such a 'square' I didn't even know there was a fag issue.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 04:42 PM       
That's what the fags would want you to think.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 09:43 PM       
This is nothing new. Bible thumpers have also been pissed about this play because it portrays the guy as a Christ figure. But then, most protagonists in tragedies are portrayed as Christ figures.

There was big controversy here in NY when a play about a gay highschooler had a Last Supper type scene.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 06:44 AM       
I love it when Christians use the word "fag".
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 09:47 PM        A quote:
"The world would be a better place if more Christians behaved like Christ."- Mahatma Ghandi
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 09:48 PM        Re: A quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanette X
"The world would be a better place if more Christians behaved like Christ."- Mahatma Ghandi
What really amazes me is that this asshole used to be a civil rights lawyer.