Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 09:07 AM        Army engineers for Lousianna region short of funds?
I could swear I recall a story not all that long ago that there had been tremndous budget cuts to the regional Army Engineers in the Lousiaan area and that there was an outcry at the time that this would significantly reduce their ability to recover from a Hurricane. Anybody know anything about this?
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 02:09 PM       
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N01279059.htm
http://alternet.org/story/24871/

The alternet one of course just takes more of a hit against Bush, but the article contains some interesting factoids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The alternet article
In early 2004, as the cost of the conflict in Iraq soared, President Bush proposed spending less than 20 percent of what the Corps said was needed for Lake Pontchartrain, according to this Feb. 16, 2004, article, in New Orleans CityBusiness:

The $750 million Lake Pontchartrain and Vicinity Hurricane Protection project is another major Corps project, which remains about 20% incomplete due to lack of funds, said Al Naomi, project manager. That project consists of building up levees and protection for pumping stations on the east bank of the Mississippi River in Orleans, St. Bernard, St. Charles and Jefferson parishes.

The Lake Pontchartrain project is slated to receive $3.9 million in the president's 2005 budget. Naomi said about $20 million is needed.

"The longer we wait without funding, the more we sink," he said. "I've got at least six levee construction contracts that need to be done to raise the levee protection back to where it should be (because of settling). Right now I owe my contractors about $5 million. And we're going to have to pay them interest."
I think the most iritating part about this isn't necessarily about Bush, but more so about the budget appropriation in general. Look at the massive highway bill that just got passed, tons of cash for useless roads in Alaska, brides to islands with populations below 1,000, etc.

I know that's budget politics, and I know you can't avoid pork, but it seems to be a damn shame that this government can waste so much money on stupid things, yet neglect areas in real need. Granted, this may all be relative, and maybe Sen. Stevens of Alaska would take a different stance, but bleh.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 04:02 AM       
Sen Stevens of Alaska can go suck a dick