Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 07:37 AM        Major problem with Temporary Internet Files
My temporary internet files won't store anything. When I try to increase the amount of space to use for storing them from 0mb (I don't know how it got there) it tells me to "please choose a number from 1 to 0mb." Which I cannot do. It won't let me change the location of the internet files, and when I try it says "Not enough space in destinated folder for current files." I know it isn't a disk space thing because I have over 11 gigs left.

Restart didn't help. I am running on XP and I only started having this problem yesterday when I tried making the "local settings" folder in "owner's documents" visible. Whats happening?
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 08:49 AM       
You need to take your hard drive out and dip in a special cleaning solution called "I don't know what I'm doing 9000"
kitatsdiuqil
liquidstatik is probably a spambot
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 09:37 AM        Re: Major problem with Temporary Internet Files
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly345
I only started having this problem yesterday when I tried making the "local settings" folder in "owner's documents" visible. Whats happening?
Well... i'm not real sure what's causing the problem. But try looking through the files in "local settings" and see if there's anything in there that might have effected it when making it visible(although that shouldn't mess anything up).
Slim Goodbody
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 11:14 PM       
Yeah, see, thats not really any help.
This is really making any time I spend online a headache.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 12:09 AM       
Quote:
Beware the hidden Local Settings folder
The hidden folder Local Settings is part of the profile. Applications typically use this folder for nonessential, yet sometimes useful data such as temporary Internet files, Internet Explorer history, and other temporary (temp) files (Figure B). Outlook also defaults to using the Local Settings folder to store the archive, Hotmail, and other .pst files.
From this, I'm guessing you need to put it back the way it was, if possible, or maybe change the directory your temporary internet files go into if not.

-willie
Slim Goodbody
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 01:25 AM       
Yeah, I tried. It went back on its own. But I tried to put it back manually. And In my original post I stated that I try to change the folder where the temporary internet files go and it says there isn't enough space in target folder, no matter where I put it. It isn't making sense. Thanks though.

CHOOSE A NUMBER BETWEEN 1 AND 0. That is pissing me off.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 01:54 AM       
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;195163

except it says it only happens in win '98. hmm. :/

you still might be able to try this, but the directories are going to be in a different place :/

I would just try deleting your temporary internet files and clearing your history first, and if that doesn't work, try the solution in this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;301057

and if that doesn't work, THEN try deleting the cookies and history and temp.internet files directories in DOS

-willie
OH GOD
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 02:12 AM       
also, read this:

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

it may help although the guy's eventual solution was reinstalling internet explorer

-willie
Slim Goodbody
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 04:17 AM       
This is very frustrating and funny at the same time. When I try all the above methodes, it says that the Temporary Internet files folder doesn'g even exist. Even though it is right there. I will try reinstalling Iexplorer.
Slim Goodbody
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 04:38 AM       
I cannot reinstall because I cannot download the install package without space in Temporary Internet Files to download to! Even with Save target to!! Because it all goes through the Temporary Internet Files Folder first.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 01:49 PM       
MY PLAN TO GET YOU TO STOP POSTING IS WORKING.

OH GOD
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 10:00 PM       
Quote:
I cannot reinstall because I cannot download the install package
can't you reinstall from the XP CD or something? :/

-willie
kitatsdiuqil
liquidstatik is probably a spambot
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 10:50 PM       
XP(on my comp anyway) doesn't come with an install CD. Although I think it comes with an install/backup disk type thing built in to it. But you might need updates to run it. :/
OH GOD
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 11:05 PM       
Quote:
XP(on my comp anyway) doesn't come with an install CD
wtf, how did it get on there then they're supposed to supply you with a disc when they sell you the computer if it has XP already installed, otherwise it's fucking piracy or something

-willie
Slim Goodbody
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 04:11 AM       
I will look through the bajillion packages that my computer came with. Thank goodness I kept them.

Edit: DAMN. No deal. All I had was an "XP owners booklet" inside the unopened software package.
OH GOD
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 06:00 AM       
damn

I'm out of ideas Unless you know someone else who might have an XP or internet explorer 6 disk

don't AOL cds usually have IE updates on them? :/ :clutchingatstraws

-willie
Slim Goodbody
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 07:12 AM       
I fixed it!! What happened was when I tried to make the folder visible I suppose IE glitched and made new "Temporary Internet Files" "History" and "Temp" folders in "CWINDOWS\" and was trying to access it. BUt because it was the wrong path nothing could be saved to it. I discovered the new folders when I clicked on "Veiw files" in the temp options window of the IE properties. So What I did was move the folders to where they belonged and that eliminated the seconed source therefore they had to go to the appropriate place (I think, it has been awhile since I took that MCSC course).

Thanks for all the help Willie! Even though the answer was right there all along, I really appreciated your help. Next time you are in town drinks are on me.

Blue is probably a spambot
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 07:29 AM       
MCSE isnt it?
Slim Goodbody
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 08:02 AM       
Yes it is. I keep calling it MCSC for some reason, people are always correcting me too.

I hate Network Management anyway so I don't care what it is called.