Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 07:55 AM        UMPCs.
I`m looking for one that I don't have to sell my soul for. Help a brotha out.

Last edited by Fathom Zero : Aug 9th, 2007 at 02:10 AM.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 01:05 PM       
Last time I looked the only ones available where from Samsung and Acer. The Samsung one was really nice looking but as with all first generation hardware there are still a few issues. Battery life being of primary concern.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 04:28 PM       
Yeah, I was kinda looking at the Samsung Q1. I feel that'd be the one to get.
But then there's the Q1b or whatever it's called. So I have that to look into.

Also, this is really cool:

AWWW. I can't cut and paste URLs.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zCiNR1SSiwl
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 06:14 PM       
Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God.

http://www.amazon.com/NOKIA-N800-Por...3?ie=UTF8&s=pc

I found my toy.

The Nokia n800

4.1-inch, 800x480 pixel touch screen, a 320MHz processor, 128MB of RAM, 256MB of Flash ROM, dual SD memory card slots, 802.11b/g WiFi, a built-in camera, Bluetooth 2.0

Obviously, it's not a UMPC, it's an internet tablet. But I am a fan of Nokia.

It runs on Linux and is very much hackable.
It can run a freakin' bittorrent client, for Christ's sake.
And it won't cost me an arm and a leg, either.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 06:34 PM       
Looks pretty cool actually. For 200 quid I might even pick one up myself.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 05:54 PM       
Samsung Q2 UMCP specs have been revealed. It looks like an awsome bit of hardware. I just hope they've sorted the battery life out.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/07/s...umpc-revealed/
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 06:30 PM       
What's WiBro?

And those thumb pads look a lot like the Pepper Pad's button scheme.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 02:20 AM       
It's the Samsung Q1U, the model I think I'm getting now. I looked at it and it has the clearest screen out of all of 'em, plus an assload of functionality.

It's a 800Mhz processor, so I think ima need 2 gigs of RAM in order to really run Vista.

Most of these things'll set you back around a thousand bucks, but there are a few sub-grand ones out there like the Raon Digital Everun and the Kohjinsha SA1 and SH6.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 07:23 AM       
The UMPC as Microsoft defines it: a miniature PC/notebook with a 7" (touchscreen) display with ultra mobility in mind. All the processing power in the world won't matter if your battery doesn't last any longer than an hour.

Here's a good link that I urge everyone to check out if only for a little bit:

http://umpcportal.com/

http://www.umpcportal.com/products/

You'll see every UMPC in a popularity list. The most popular form factor seems to be the clamshell type with the maybe-full-but-mostly-crippled keyboards on a lot of the models.

For many of them, they resemble miniature slate-tablet PCs. It wouldn't matter if they didn't have keyboards then, because there's a text input panel on-screen and full handwriting recognition in Vista and XP Tablet Edition.

The biggest one of 'em all is the HTC Shift. The sleekest design, a lot of power and features, and a smartphone asthetic about it make it one of the most popular around, even though it probably won't be released 'till the end of the year. It's got dual processors in the true sense of the word. It runs both Windows Mobile 6 and Vista Business on two processors simultaneously. With a push of a button, the screen will fade and switch in between the two. So while you're still booting up Vista, you can check the weather or browse the net or check your contacts and such on the other processor. Realllllly cool (nerd) stuff.