Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Comics 'n Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 08:56 PM       
guys i love how this thread is about being racist now

way to jew it up for everyone, bahmo
Bahmo is probably a spambot
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 06:58 PM       
Slurs alone aren't offensive, so if you read my comments dissing on the people who think the book Huck Finn is offensive, you'd know I actually agree with you on that one. (Don't get used to it!)

The point is really that Tom Sawyer is a more arguably-racist book because it actually portrays the minority as the villain, whereas Huck Finn is progressive in its views, yet the former is considered a classic halmark of children's literature, while the latter gets slammed as racist. Still, I do apologise for steering the thread off course, as I actually did enjoy those books.

So, to get it back to basics, anyone else forced to read The Abolition of Man? I fucking hated it. It's not that I disagree with the points it advanced, so much as the percieved reason it did so. Basically a bunch of Christian propaganda against moral relativism, and almost the entire first chapter is a bunch of babbling that's barely even relevent to that point. I never really liked the Narnia series, either, so reading this book pretty-much sealed my opinion of C. S. Lewis.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 03:03 PM       
It was written in the forties as a response to what amounted to a bunch of muddy horseshit from King and Ketler

What I like about high school intellectualism is that, having been raised on literary standards and conventions first helped along by the very books that they trash, they feel they are justified in their attempts to be (what they believe is) unique and cynical through masturbatory criticism of classic novels. You're not smart or original, and Oscar Wilde beat you to the punch centuries ago (he was a lot better at it than you, by the way).
Bahmo is probably a spambot
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 07:02 PM       
You may be right about me not liking it just because I don't understand exactly what he was dissing. However, I'm coming into this as a guy who's come to loathe fundamentalists in general, so I don't have a lot of sympathy for Mr. Lewis and his work.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 11:29 AM       
Considering that he was the only "Fundamentalist" on the entire planet who made a point of admitting that he could easily be wrong and that it wouldn't bother him too much, I'd recommend actually paying attention to what people are saying rather than half-reading and reinterpreting. But you're kind of crippled in that regard, huh sport?