Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Comics 'n Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

possible jerk

Magreaux is probably a spambot
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:03 PM       
There's already a Cthulhu movie. Don't get too excited, it isn't all that great. It didn't win a glorious BROWN JENKIN award like the Tori Spelling version.
Zombie Basher
Dr. Octogonopus is probably a spambot
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 08:38 PM       
... is it that one? I can't decide if I want to see that or not. I have the feeling that gay looking kid is going to 'experiment' and ruin the date.
Fucking Finland
RaNkeri is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:17 AM       
I loved the cthulhu movie Magreaux mentioned. They made it in the style of 1920's silent films and were succesful IMO. I definitely encourage you to watch the film. The same people are also going to release The whisperer in darkness late 2008. You can view trailers for both films on youtube.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:33 AM       
This is a fan made depiction of the creature from Lovecraft's lesser known "The Sinister Happenings at Strickland"

That was very funny. Well done.
Official Punching Bag
JakeOfAllTrades is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 09:17 AM       
When I first discovered Lovecraft, I was blown away by it. The racism in The Call of Cthulhu was a bit off, but the attitudes were historically accurate to the time.

I once tried to write a story serial where Lovecraft somehow managed to become a schoolteacher in the 21st Century, but he wasn't allowed to read his work to the 3rd Graders because it would scare them. Some day I'll continue it.
possible jerk

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 03:22 PM       
I had high hopes for that Cthulhu movie considering the awesomeness of the cover and my love of early cinematic horror, but they didn't really nail the 1920's feeling at all. It is black & white and it is silent, i'll give them that, but I think these people didn't actually watch any of those old movies before filming. It seemed like they thought that they could pull off the early cinema look by just not trying. There's a scene where the same four or five people are very obviously greenscreened and duplicated to form a group of cannibals, and it looks so godawful that you have to wonder if they did it on purpose for comedic effect. It couldn't have been that hard to find 30 people and dress them up like cannibals. I hate to be so critical since it's a small endevour but I just can't honestly recommend this movie, especially not to people who actually watch early horror films.

ANYHOW this is the comics & books forum so it's time to get back on track. I'm trying to finish At the Mountains of Madness but i'll be damned if I can read more than a short story by this guy. After thirty pages, i'm winded. Has anyone here read through this entire book? Or The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath?
Fucking Finland
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 03:38 PM       
Yeah, the cannibal scene was rather poorly made, but I wouldn't judge the whole movie just because of some minor errors that occured. The fact is that the movie was true to the novel, which is quite rare, and was able to catch the right "Lovecraftian" atmosphere.

When it comes to his longer stories, well I've never found the length of the story to be a problem. Lovecraft has a great way of building up the suspense and it works great, atleast for me. Sure, At the mountains of madness was sightly dull at some points, but he really makes up for it later. I'd rank At the mountains of madness as one of my favorite Lovecraft stories. If you find at the mountains of madness to be boring, well I could suggest The whisperer in darkness and The case of Charles Dexter Ward, which offer more suspense, if that's what you're after.

Although Charles Dexter Ward was probably Lovecraft's longest story and has a huge buildup before the suspense really starts kicking you in the groin. :/
possible jerk

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 04:08 PM       
Yes it stuck closely to the story, but the atmosphere was hindered by the poor, seemingly rushed quality of the effects towards the end. They cut too many corners and the whole movie suffered as a result. Some of the matte painting effects could've been effectively masked with some film grain, and not even digitally. Just tightly wrap some pantyhose around the lens (or before it if the lens is removable). As such it's much more like a poorly made 50's giant monster film, like The Giant Claw.

It's not that his work is boring, it's just that I can only read that kind of heavily descriptive writing for but so long. A whole novel's worth (or is it a novella?) of descriptions of things that cannot be described is really pushing it.
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 02:01 AM       
The best Lovecraft renditions are the Stuart Gordon ones, ala 'Re-Animator' and 'From Beyond.' Bar none. Also, does anybody know the other authors who participated in the Cthulhu mythos? I know Amazon has some books but I'd be damned if I can remember.
possible jerk

Old Feb 9th, 2008, 11:42 PM       
Frank Belknap Long is the only name I can think of (Hound of Tindalos). I'm not sure if Robert Bloch actually wrote some Cthulhu stories or was just very influenced by them.
Official Punching Bag
JakeOfAllTrades is probably a spambot
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 08:23 AM       
Case of Charles Dexter Ward was eerie. It had this kind of "not quite right" about it, in a way that stuff like Herbert West: Re-Animator didn't have. Re-Animator was good, but compared to Dexter Ward it just seems silly.

And I have read both of them.
AlliSabbah is probably a spambot
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 09:58 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbu Manowar View Post
The best Lovecraft renditions are the Stuart Gordon ones, ala 'Re-Animator' and 'From Beyond.' Bar none. Also, does anybody know the other authors who participated in the Cthulhu mythos? I know Amazon has some books but I'd be damned if I can remember.
August Derleth did quite a few Cthulu books.
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 01:59 PM       
Thanks! Off to Amazon!
Fucking Finland
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:54 AM       
Well, I've now read all 3 of the Penguin's Lovecraft collections. At the moment I'm searching for more.

Has anybody read The horror in the museum and other revisions? It contains stories revised or ghostwritten by Lovecraft.
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 12:46 PM       
"When, long ago, the gods created Earth;
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth. The beasts for lesser parts were designed; Yet were too remote from humankind. To fill the gap, and join the rest of Man, Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan. A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure, Filled it with vice, and called the thing a ******."