Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old May 14th, 2011, 03:03 PM        Acid Blinding Sentence in Iran
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...postponed.html

Quote:
Acid blinding sentence of Iranian man postponed
The blinding of an Iranian student by having acid dripped into his eyes has been reportedly postponed, just hours before the punishment was due to be carried out.

So the first thing any progressively minded person thinks of is how backwards and barbaric this is. It conjures up images of women being stoned for wanting divorce, or children getting their hands cut off for stealing lollies. "Those crazy Arabs" some amongst us may think. Maybe even use it as a point to how horrible the Middle East is as a region and a people.

Quote:
The procedure was planned for Tehran at midday on Saturday in the presence of Ameneh Bahrami, the young woman he attacked and blinded, under a sentence called qesas (retribution in kind) imposed by a court in 2009.

She had demanded that the blinding be carried out after her university classmate Majid Movahedi threw a bucket of acid over her when she spurned his repeated offers of marriage. The punishment had been due to be carried out at the judiciary hospital in Tehran, under the supervision of a doctor and with representatives of the coroners' office and the prosecution present.
Do people change their views after reading that? I think some, or at least, one, probably will. Eyes for some eyes, quite literally har har.

I personally still think it's barbaric, backwards, and will do nothing to prevent future acid attacks occurring, and wont give the victim her original life back. It's a tough one, especially looking at the photo of the poor woman he disfigured.

Also interesting that they will have a doctor there to oversee proceedings. I wonder what kind of Hippocratic oath they take in Iran?

Tadao, if you don't want to chat then please don't lock the thread. That's just me asking, not some veiled insult.