Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 07:35 PM        I got a new amp!
I got an ampeg 210sp combo, it's like 200 watts. it's way more power then i need right now, but it's nice to know i won't have trouble playing over my friend's gay 30 watt guitar amp. Like I did with my stupid Crate combo that BROKE within 3 days of buying it.

And it has like 10 built in effects, which probably suck but will be fun to play with.

Hurray :happy
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 08:36 PM       
I haven't bought any new guitar equipment in ages, but I play every day and I really need to get in a band. Not even sure if I wanna play guitar in a band though cuz I like singing so much.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 08:38 PM       
Local H proved you don't need a whole band to make good music. Find a drummer and you can start your own.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 09:10 PM       
I'm in the process of buying a Gibson Les Paul so amps and effects searching have taken a back seat, although I do plan to get another multipedal some time soon.

As to getting in a band: How good are your compositional skills? If you at least like your music, and have some sort of vision (doesn't have to be groundbreaking, but there should be an outmost goal), you should be starting your own band. If you just want to play other people's music, my advice is: don't bother. I've been in my current main band for 2 years now, and it's an investment in time and effort and rehersal money that you should be very serious about making if you at least want to like what you're making. I'm not talking about making albums and all that jazz, I'm talking simply about leaving the rehersal studio after a session, and getting the buzz of accomplishment. Either go all-out, or do not go at all.

Also, sing and play at the same time. It's all the rage :P
Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 09:47 PM       
How should I go about joining in a band? I'm not the best bass player, but I'd get better if I was with better musicians. And I don't know how to go about doing all that
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 10:05 PM       
I won't pretend to know anything about that. I was asked to join a band, and when I did, I reformed it (Charisma! Presence! Songwriting skills! Free handjobs!) to what it is now. I've always been around musicians. When you meet one, he usually has a few around too.

Aren't there any friends that play instruments? If not, isn't there any musical press that has 'classifieds' about musicians looking for other musicians around where you live?

Go at music shows and make friends with people. Ask around for willing musicians with which your tastes match at least somewhat(you can brain-wash him later to like what you like)

The last resort is to shove an old guitar on your best friend and tell him to learn to play it or you're not going to love him anymore.

Although it is being said, and I think that it's true from personal experience, that if you play with people that are considerably worse on the technical aspect from you, you'll only get frustrated and tired.
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 11:46 PM       
noob

and open mic nights can be good places to meet cool people.