Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 04:21 PM        This is bad news for Kerry
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...c_19&printer=1

Dollar Hits 2004 Highs on Jobs Outlook
Wed Mar 3,11:02 AM ET Add Business - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Kyle Peterson

CHICAGO (Reuters) - The dollar hit its highest levels this year against the euro, yen and Swiss franc on Wednesday, with gains triggered by rising optimism over U.S. job growth and expectations this would mean higher U.S. interest rates.

Missed Tech Tuesday?
Here's how to protect and patch up your PC -- plus some Windows alternatives to consider.

The dollar's surge this week is largely the result of Monday's Institute for Supply Management manufacturing report that showed a bigger-than-expected rise in the employment component. With February' U.S. payrolls report due on Friday, traders are guessing that those data could be robust as well.

The dollar showed little reaction to an ISM service sector report on Wednesday that showed expansion but at a slower-than-expected pace. The employment component also showed a decline in the pace of expansion.

"The one area of concern is the employment index which moderated in the month, which suggests continued subdued job growth," said Sal Guatieri, senior economist at BMO Financial Group in Toronto. "That will likely take some wind out of the U.S. dollar's sails and shore up Treasuries because the fixed-income market has been concerned about a strong employment report on Friday."

The ISM non-manufacturing index declined to 60.8 in February from 65.7 a month earlier. Economists' median forecast had called for the index to fall, but only to 63.0.

In mid-morning U.S. trade, the euro was down 0.54 percent at $1.2155 after touching a three-month low of $1.2105. The dollar was trading nearly unchanged against the yen at 110.02 yen after reaching a four-month high of 110.49 yen.

The dollar gained 0.25 percent to 1.2980 Swiss francs after hitting a three-month high of 1.3075 francs. Sterling was down about 0.57 percent at $1.8296 . The U.S. dollar was up about 0.37 percent against the Canadian dollar at C$1.3467 after notching a five-month high of C$1.3586.

Traders said much of the dollar buying that had pushed the euro down nearly 2 percent on Tuesday was technically driven in a market which has been selling the dollar for months.

"Today we are seeing the carry-on from the trend we saw yesterday," said Mitul Kotecha, head of global foreign exchange research at Credit Agricole Indosuez.

"The break of support for the euro at $1.2350 was a big level and that accelerated the move and technically the euro looks vulnerable here to a test down to $1.20."

RATE OUTLOOK SHIFTING

An expected improvement in the U.S. jobs sector has fueled speculation in the market that the Federal Reserve (news - web sites) may soon be in a position to raise interest rates earlier than had been expected. This would make yields on U.S. assets more attractive to investors.

The euro's decline has led interest rate futures markets to price out the risk of a cut in euro zone borrowing costs in coming months, after talk the European Central Bank might lower rates at its meeting on Thursday hit the single European currency in the past week.

The Reuters Eurozone Business Activity Index for the service sector slipped to 56.2, below a forecast of 57.1, from 57.3 in January. Euro strength helped slow the growth but a pick-up in consumer demand kept it above the 50 level separating contraction from expansion for the eighth consecutive month. (Additional reporting by Daniel Bases in New York and Burton Frierson in London)
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 05:49 PM       
"FleetBoston Financial Corp. expects to pay $59.4 million to settle Securities and Exchange Commission claims of trading abuses by its New York Stock Exchange market-making unit, according to a regulatory filing…"
-Boston Globe, 3/3/04

"Putnam Investments dismissed one of its top executives and three other employees after an internal review discovered they failed to fix a bungled transaction three years ago that cost a corporate retirement account $1.5 million…"
-Boston Globe, 3/3/04

"Former WorldCom chief executive Bernard Ebbers was indicted on federal fraud and conspiracy charges yesterday, accused of orchestrating the biggest accounting shell game in corporate history. His chief financial officer, Scott Sullivan, will testify against him in a plea deal."
-Boston Globe, 3/3/04

"NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - The Nasdaq declined and the other major indexes finished nearly unchanged after a skittish trading session Wednesday that saw investors reluctant to take action ahead of Friday's jobless report and after the morning's ho-hum economic news."
-CNN moneyline 3/3/04

"Shell's two most senior directors, including chairman Sir Philip Watts, resigned today in response to pressure from angry shareholders over news in January that reserves had been overestimated."
-NYT 3/3/04

"Edgar Bronfman Jr.'s newly purchased Warner Music said on Tuesday it will lay off about 1,000 people, or 20 percent of its global work force, and combine parts of two labels to stay competitive in a tough industry."
-Reutuers 3/3/04

"Ford, the world's second-largest automaker, lost $1.1 billion in Europe last year. Even before the final results were released, executives said they would slash costs and beef up the product lineup to improve business."
-AP wire 3/3/04

"Personal computer and consumer electronics gear maker Gateway Inc. has cut about 1,000 jobs this year and will cut another 1,000 in the next few months, bringing the number of employees down to about 5,500, a company spokesman said on Tuesday."
-Reuters 3/3/04

"Planned job cuts in February fell to their lowest level in five months, but companies are still in a strong downsizing mode that is not likely to end any time soon, according to a report on Tuesday."
-Reuters 3/2/04
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 03:20 PM       
Lackluster Job Numbers a Growing Problem for Bush

By Steve Holland

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush 's campaign argument that "America is turning the corner" under his leadership suffered a setback on Friday with a report that the labor market mustered only 21,000 new jobs last month, far fewer than anticipated.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 04:46 PM       
You do realize just how much political dogmatism it takes to compare the Bush economy to the Clinton economy and think that actually means something, right?

Not only was the Clinton economy superior to average economic conditions, but Bush inherited a recession because of it. Stack on 9/11, and you've just comitted logical suicide from comparing the two.
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:08 PM       
I believe John Stewart said it best,
"That Bill Clinton! What a terrible president from three years ago!"

Our economy is in the shitter and Bush is trying to stir up wars to fix it. Republicans start wars, Democrats address the actual issue. The economy isn't going to instantaneously fix itself because we control oil rigs in more strategic locations.
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 09:16 AM       
Hey now! Until you've read a lot of books and gone partway through highschool, don't you criticise OAO! Why that would be logical suicide!
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

Old Mar 6th, 2004, 10:11 AM       
*tips his hat*
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female

phnompehn is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 04:17 PM       
It's one thing for a president to lead a country through a poor economy, and be able to admit that times are tough. It's another to call it thriving and robust and act like nothings wrong.
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

Old Mar 6th, 2004, 05:25 PM       
And to tell Americans that the best way to support the wartime effort is to go out and buy things.

Okay guys, it's time to wake up.
Shitty economy. Unelected president. Civil rights restrictions. Constitutional Amendments (mainly 2 and 4) in danger of being usurped. Two millionaire candidates which may as well be the same person. Everyone reeks of big business.

This isn't a democratic republic. It's an aristocratic republic.

NOW COME ON, where the fuck's my revolution?
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

Old Mar 6th, 2004, 05:26 PM       
Lazy bitch-ass fucking Americans.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 07:05 AM       
Shut up about revolution. You use the word nearly every post.

By the way, what's the actual issue?
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 04:14 PM       
The issue is watching Bush Jr. pull the same mistake as Bush senior, telling us the economy is hunky dory when it's only hunky dory if you have a silver spoon wedged in your mouth and money pouring out your butt.

The issue is watching dupes like Naldo fall for it.
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 08:39 AM       
And do you believe that Democrats will address the actual issue? (the first one)

Does anyone actually think the democrats will do anything different?
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 09:57 AM       
If you are suggesting that a W. presidency would be no different than Kerry presidency, I strongly disagree.

If you are saying that both parties are corrupt and virtually owned by big business, I agree.

It's a question of who would set about defiling everything I value about America with more gusto.

The lesser of two evils is evil, but it's also lesser. At this particular moment in history, I could be very enthusiastic about a lesser evil.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 08:38 AM       
Yes, they will be differet presidents - that's the plan. I don't think anyone will disagree with that.

I'm saying that they are different sides of the same coin. They work together, they need each other as legitimate opposition to be called on in times of change.

Quote:
Does anyone actually think the democrats will do anything different?
I was leaning towards meaning in regards to Iraq, corruption, big business etc. y'know... bourgeois things.

Quote:
The lesser of two evils is evil, but it's also lesser. At this particular moment in history, I could be very enthusiastic about a lesser evil.
You can get lesser than that.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 06:32 PM       
"report that the labor market mustered only 21,000 new jobs last month, far fewer than anticipated." - Max

This is good news. 21,000 more people are working. The economy is growing and unemployment is going down.....and we still have many months to go before the election. All is well.....
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 06:36 PM       
The labor data SHOULD improve, simply because of the way the DOL collects data. If you go unemployed and can't find a job within 6 months, you are no longer "seeking" a job, and thus you aren't included in the data. If we go through a long period of unemployment, and then there's an upswing in the unemployment rate, and things don't add up, THAT'S why. If someone registers often with one class at a vocational or community college, they are no longer added to the data.

Bush's unemployment rate NEEDS to decrease, otherwise the situation is actually far worse than the numbers detail.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 08:37 PM       
....not to mention that the unemployment situation is actually improving.
Mocker
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 10:11 PM       
You don't get it.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 10:13 PM       
Yes I do.
Mocker
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 10:18 PM       
No...you really don't. The unemploymeny numbers look bad, and even if they improved, it tells you nothing. Understand?
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 10:29 PM       
So, according to you, there is no way anyone can know anything about unemployment except for John Kerry and the democrats?

I think I see where you are going with this.

Nice try.