Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Banned

MajorScales is probably a spambot
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 09:18 PM        Fuck you Trevor
I have a cousin that kept going on and on about how great the XBox 360 was (years back).... I had a friend back in high school that was spoiled and got everything high tech at that time he wanted and I bought what lasted from watching him. I bought a PS3 a year after production and nothing has gone wrong with it at all.

Search Tech And The Award for Least Reliable Console Goes To...The Xbox 360

A year and a half ago, independent warranty provider SquareTrade ruffled some features by publishing figures that showed failure rates for Microsoft's Xbox 360 console as high as 16.4 percent. Now SquareTrade is back with more failure numbers for leading video game consoles (PDF), and guess what? The Xbox 360 is still bringing up the rear, with 23.7 percent Xbox 360 owners reporting failures within the first two years of ownership. That's four times more likely to fail than Sony's PlayStation 3 (which saw failure rates around 10 percent), and nine times more likely to fail than the Nintendo Wii (with failure rates around 2.7 percent).
However, SquareTrade did qualify its figures for Xbox 360 failures, noting that failure rates and the infamous "Red Ring of Death" problem seem to have become considerably less frequent since the introduction of the so-called "Jasper" chipset in the Xbox 360 in late 2008. Also, in a move which likely cost Microsoft more than a billion dollars, in mid-2007 the company extended the warranties on its Xbox 360 consoles to three years; the move likely did a lot to assuage Xbox 360 customers whose consoles gave up the ghost, but may have resulted in under-reporting of Xbox 360 failure rates in SquareTrade's analysis.
SquareTrade found that the most common problems with both the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 were disc read errors and problems pushing video out to televisions. Conversely, the Nintendo Wii was more likely to suffer fro power supply issues and remote control problems.
SquareTrade compiled its figured by randomly selecting 16,000 game consoles covered by SquareTrade warranties; failure data only reflects problems reported directly to SquareTrade.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 09:24 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorScales View Post
failure data only reflects problems reported directly to SquareTrade.
Well I can't say I've ever heard of SquareTrade before, but I can almost guarantee that the numbers for the 360 are higher than that.

If the console repairs for the RRoD weren't free, I probably wouldn't have stuck with it for this long.

☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 09:28 PM       
Quote:

Who is SquareTrade and why should I get my Care Plans from you?

The best reason to try us is what our past customers have said: here and here. While we aren’t perfect, we do our best to deliver the best warranty service, anywhere.

Some more about us: we have been a leading name in online trust & safety since 1999. We run the largest seller verification service on eBay and provide mediation services to buyers and sellers on eBay. We have administered our own Care Plans since October 2006. We believe we can make the extended warranty business more customer-friendly and cheaper by cutting out the middle-men and focusing on delivering the best service.
Our Care Plans are insured by AM Trust, an A-rated insurer.

I think I've seen their logo a lot.

Banned

Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 09:36 PM       
It was from

http://www.digitaltrends.com/

http://ca.tech.yahoo.com/home_entert...s/article/3864
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 09:49 PM       
I am more than likely going to buy a PS3 tomorrow not so much because the 360 has hardware issues but because Microsoft is such an incompetent bunch of useless retards. I would get rid of windows from my computer if Linux could actually run more than a small handful of good games. On the plus side if my computer fucks up I can more than likely fix it myself without their blubbering whale vagina of a support staff.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:10 PM       
guys did you know that 76.4% of statistics are bullshit
Banned

Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:15 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer View Post
guys did you know that 76.4% of statistics are bullshit

Ya...but my cousin has now had three different Xbox 360's that have had problems and my PS3 three is fucking amazing.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:17 PM       
i bought a used xbx two years ago and it hasn't fucked up yet
Esq.
stevetothepast is probably a spambot
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:43 PM       
Ya...but my cousin has now had three different car's that have had problems and my car is fucking amazing.

Ya...but my cousin has now had three different girlfriends that have fucked around and my girlfriend is fucking amazing.

Ya...but my cousin has now had three different dogs that have died and my goldfish is fucking amazing.

The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:10 PM       
Microshock?

That was very funny. Well done.
OH GOD
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 12:39 AM       
ten percent is still a really fucking high failure rate if you ask me i haven't had a console fail since the atari 2600, what the hell is up w/ this gen
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 12:55 AM       
Moving parts.

Period.

The more complicated the machine, the more opportunities for destruction. And that's not up for debate, it's a goddamn law of physics or thermodynamics. Probably the latter, what with transfer of energy and the constant friction.

Cart based things have never ever screwed up on me. If anything, it was a problem with the game. Consoles with disc drives have always given me trouble, except for the original Playstation, which always worked beautifully for me.
OH GOD
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 01:12 AM       
maybe a flash-memory based one would work out better or is that basically what the ds is
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 01:27 AM       
Original Playstations had a major flaw where the power supply transformer was too close to the laser eye track, which was made of plastic. It slowly warped the track and made it unable to read CDs, but if you turned your Playstation upside down it sometimes warped the tack back enough to play cds. Ver 2 they moved the transformer but I think the track was still weak plastic and had the same problem, I believe Ver 3 they either used a metel track or harder plastic and finally resolved that issue.
mmm muffins
Wiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 01:33 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
Moving parts.

Cart based things have never ever screwed up on me.
\

I guess you never got to the blowing-on-the-cartridge-just-to-get-it-to-work problem. ^^;
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 01:39 AM       
Wasn't the console's problem, was it?
mmm muffins
Wiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 02:16 AM       
well sometimes it was, dust would get in the cartridge slot, and even that had to be cleaned vacumed. but i guess thats a maintenance issue instead of a mechanical one. Also, the cartridge slot contact surfaces kinda get worn out after a while and cant read right sometimes. I guess modern consoles have the main problem of heat, because they run on multi ghz processors in such a tiny box/space. as opposed to consoles before which ran on 12 or so mhz. heck they didnt even need fans, just tiny heatsinks
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 02:36 AM       
Systems on a chip today reach ghz speeds, far beyond what the old consoles could do.

http://beagleboard.org/

But IBM processors and such (what the PS3 and 360 runs on, anyway) build upon people's expectations of getting exponentially better and more features added on.

I forget what it is, but there's some sort of chip-making law that maintains a theoretical limit on the amount of circuits or whatever on today's silicon-based doohickeys, so... organic computers in the future that you have to feed?

At this point, I'm just talking out of my ass, so what the fuck ever.
Banned
Microshock is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 03:32 PM       
Alright, I'm here. I'm sure that the 20 percent failure rate is absolute bullshit. This is an independent warranty provider so all they're testing is consoles they get to them. Basically, the failure rate for the 360 is a hell of a lot higher.

I'd say 70 percent

And yes i read the article where it says SquareTrade's info is faulty anyway.
OH GOD
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 03:40 PM       
microshock you are just so, so stupid
Banned
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 04:21 PM       
How so dear sir? I'm sorry, am I attacking your soft spot here?

I said the failure rate is a lot higher than the 20 percent SquareTrade says it is. The percentage they got is based on the consoles they get to them.

But ok, your useful post is obviously smarter than mine in 99999 ways
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 05:15 PM       
Mostly because you're convinced that everyone who thinks you're annoying is an Xbox fanboy.

Also, I already mentioned that the figures were probably off, and I even put a thread out there that put the failure rate really high so that you'd have something to beat off to while you're waiting for your latest PS3 rental to finish installing.

I guess what I'm saying is that willie's post is more useful because it contains more accurate information than yours.

Banned
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 05:30 PM       
The only part of his post that was accurate was when he wrote my name. And even that had a mistake, it's Microshock not microshock

And i mentioned the figures were off as well
OH GOD
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 05:36 PM       
the reason you are stupid is because you are seriously putting me off of ever even considering buying a ps3. xbox may have a 70% failure rate, but you're making it look like the ps3 has a 100% "turns you into an insufferable dickbiter" rate
OH GOD
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 05:39 PM       
i mean i recommended a friend of mine check out the ps3 when he was considering what console to buy last month, and i am starting to fucking regret doing that now

YOU'RE HURTING SONY'S SALES, DUDE