Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prepare for time warp.
ThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's army
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 03:12 AM        Eating healthy and being poor
Currently I'm working alot, and in my free time I workout and run (on top of playing videogames and guitar) and I'm trying to find some tasty food that isn't absolutely terrible for you. Working it into a budget would be helpful too but not required.

This is hard to do when you smoke reefer though, so for the entire month of december I'm not going to smoke at all.

Anyways, I love fruit. Oranges, pears, apples, grapes and plums. Shit is expensive though and I probably could comfortably eat about $10 worth of fruit a day.

Currently one of my favorite healthy things to eat are about a half bag of the grilled chicken strips in the lunchmeat aisle, in a frying pan with some olive oil until it starts getting brown, some strawberry balsamic reduction (its in the salad dressing aisle, about 4 bucks and it lasts forever) and then on a plate with diced tomatoes on top. It's really good. Same thing on top of lettuce for a salad is pretty great too.

In the mornings I eat about 3 egg whites and one yolk just scrambled up. Eggs are cheap as shit. an 18 pack lasts about a week and goes from about $1.50 to $2.00

also, I used to drink whole milk all the time as a kid, anything less was like water. 2% is great though. Anything less than that and I personally can't do it.

steamed broccoli is great with a little salt (I like it plain) and it's easy to steam if you're super poor and just have a pot. Take a sheet of tinfoil, make it into a bowl/boat shape, toss the broccoli in it, float it in a pot of boiling water with a lid.

Also, if you have to have them, fat free mayo and fat free sour cream taste just as good as regular. Stuff like fat free ranch and ice cream and the like taste like shit and I'd rather just cut them out all together.

And my favorite thing right now is cottage cheese. reduced fat and light taste just as good as regular. one of my ex's got me into cottage cheese and she just ate it plain with black pepper. it's pretty good but I like a scoop with some cut up fresh fruit, lately I cut up about 10 seedless green grapes and throw them in and it's tasty as SHIT.

Can anyone suggest anything else?

(alright thread, good luck!)
filthiest soap dish
Babs is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 03:20 AM       
http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/20...ping-it-cheap/

Seems to be what you're looking for.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 08:59 PM       
What the fuck? Why do people think that this is a good place to ask these questions? Just PM Chojin, and...OH! You want us to know that you're working out.

That was very funny. Well done.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 10:00 PM       
how is fruit expensive
...Pause at the Beginning
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 08:29 AM       
fruit is v expensive but also delicious and it's clementine season i guess because that's all i fucking eat

also rice is good and i guess it's good for you since east asians live to be 90 and look 50 and also rice is delicious give me some
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 09:32 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashO View Post
Currently one of my favorite healthy things to eat are about a half bag of the grilled chicken strips in the lunchmeat aisle,...

Can anyone suggest anything else?

(alright thread, good luck!)
Yeah, stop buying precooked food. Get a whole chicken for five bucks and do whatever you want with it.

Rice is good, as is a bag of fucking potatoes. It's not hard to eat cheaply (and well) - I was homeless for two months of my last semester and I made it through.
...Pause at the Beginning
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 02:40 PM       
the problem i have is potatoes is i forget i have them and then they start growing

also because it takes forever to cook them
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 02:43 PM       
Sure, if you're a pussy and don't want to cut them into medallions and pan fry them in the runoff from the chicken.

1/3rd of my diet is potato. I run through them too much to forget I've got them, although that did happen once where I kept them near my drier and they got wet. The smell and what was dripping off of them was unimaginable.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 03:30 PM       
Ramen and multivitamins.

Cooking is an incredibly easy thing to learn and all you need is, like, two pots and one pan. Threads like these are made by people who are afraid to or too lazy to cook (OR, IN THIS CASE, PEOPLE WHO "COOK" PRE-MADE CHICKEN STRIPS WITH SALAD DRESSING). Honestly, things seem expensive until you realize that if you don't buy prepared food you can cook yourself some shit with maybe, MAYBE, $10 worth of ingredients and make it last three or four goddamn days.

Buy a chicken and some vegetables. Bake it, cut that shit up, chop the vegetables, you've got a few meals and then you can make pot of soup out of the scraps for another few days of meals. It's not that hard to do.

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 03:35 PM       
He smacks of someone that two or three years ago moved out from his parents' and has been eating Burger King and microwavable bowls ever since.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 04:29 PM       
premade chicken is actually a pretty good deal usually. Usually they come with about 2 pounds of chicken for anywhere from 5-6 bucks, which is 2.50 to 3 dollars a pound.

Sometimes you can get chicken breast for 2 dollars a pound, but then you have to cut it up and shit.. i dont really know shit about that lunch meat chicken though.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 04:37 PM       
My thing is that I can cut a chicken any way I want it. I can't turn sliced chicken stuffs into chicken parm, though. Also, I sincerely doubt that it's cheaper. At best, Walmart's got these pretty good whole roasted chickens, (without the innards, which most prolly prefer, anyway), and they're $5 where I live. But if you go in there at the magic time of day where they're trying to get rid of them, you can get them half off. When I was a freshman, I routinely lugged four or five chickens back to my dorm and threw it over rice, eating for more than a week. You can get a bag of specific parts for around same amount/poundage, too.
BANNED

Old Dec 6th, 2011, 05:12 PM       
you can buy premade battered chicken breasts and turn that into chicken parmesian pretty easily
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 06:10 PM       
Premade BATTERED?

:barf
BANNED

Old Dec 6th, 2011, 06:43 PM       
yep tastes good.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 07:02 PM       
chicken breasts really aren't that expensive. honestly no healthy foods are expensive except for the 10% that say "HEALTHY ORGANIC LEAN ETC" all over the packaging, aren't even all that good for you, and are 900x the price. coincidentally those are the same products that everyone assumes are the only healthy foods in the store so it's an easy thing to believe.

a box of 10 individually wrapped chicken breasts is usually about $10, and it's cheaper than that if you just get a package of them. a whole rotisserie chicken goes for about $5 at sam's club and is good for 3-4 big meals.

spaghetti isn't especially good for you but noodles and sauce are stupid cheap

one of my favorite things to make is chicken breast+spaghetti sauce+shredded cheese+bacon in the oven, then put it on some light bread w/ light sour cream
filthiest soap dish
Babs is probably a spambot
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 09:07 PM       
Actually chojin, I just got back from kroger and chicken breasts (packaged with 10) is $6 right now. Probably due to everyone going apeshit over ham right now.
Mocker
elx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty ok
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 12:22 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
how is fruit expensive
serious question - do you never buy fruit or something? it's fine and decently priced when it's both on sale and in season (particularly bananas/apples) but keeping a variety of fruits in your daily diet year-round is so expensive fruit has high water content and is low in physical substance, like trashy-ho said, it'd take like $10 to fill you up for a day. it'd be cheaper and more delicious to fill up on real food.

anyway I mostly just eat vegetables, pasta, bagels, oatmeal, etc. less yummy than fruit but this is all way cheaper and actually feels meal-worthy, whereas five bananas is like baby food. I spend less than $30 a month on food, and fruit still takes up the most expensive portion of that. tl;dr- that question is retarded, fresh fruit isn't cheap

-MODERATOR MILHORSE
Mocker
elx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty ok
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 12:29 PM       
also, what? grocery stores sell whole chickens? that's so gross are there whole cows in the back too?

-MODERATOR MILHORSE
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 12:40 PM       
I'm gonna let that one sink in for a bit.
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 04:31 PM       
Fresh crispy lettuce, sliced tomatoes and mozzarella in a bowl and put some olive oil, black pepper and balsamic vinegar on top. Tasty. You can also add some strips of air-dried ham on it to make it more meaty.

I don't know if this is healthy, but it sure is tasty as shit (and quite cheap): Buy some beef. Cut it to proper size pieces and throw them in a pan. Fry them up and throw them in a tray (is tray the proper word? The shit you put in an oven). Add chopped garlic and onions in the tray with the meat. Also bacon. I like to add mushrooms as well, but it's a matter of taste, really. Add a meat stock cube (again, not sure if this is a real phrase. The brown colored seasoning cube that makes the food taste meaty and good), salt, black pepper, basil, rosemary and most importantly, red wine. Get the cheapest wine you can find. 0,6 liters should be fine for the food. Drink the rest. Put some tinfoil on top of the tray and put it in the oven for five hours at 120 degrees celsius (convert this to whatever fahrenheit nonsense you are using). Serve with rise or potatoes.

You can also put some carrots or some shit like that there and it would be just as tasty.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 05:12 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by elx View Post
also, what? grocery stores sell whole chickens? that's so gross are there whole cows in the back too?
Yes, even branded Perdue. They're prepped for stuffing or roasting, though, not hanging like dried up carcasses you see in Chinatown. No more gross than buying a whole fresh turkey for Thanksgiving dinner.

I haven't seen a whole cow for sale, though. :o
You may already be there.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 05:13 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
I'm gonna let that one sink in for a bit.
Yeah, probably should have done.
You may already be there.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 06:21 PM       
BANNED

Old Dec 7th, 2011, 07:09 PM       
Quote:
serious question - do you never buy fruit or something?
Yea i mean i used to go grocery shopping all the time and never spent more than ten bucks a week on fruits and veggies. They were usually the cheapest things.

Maybe I'm just not an idiot when it comes to buying stuff or something.

I've seen abnanas for 20 cents each or fifty cents a pound ;/ how much is five of those