Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 03:01 AM        Weekly Game Review: Dark Sector
Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Game Review: Dark Sector.
Julio is probably a spambot
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 07:12 AM       
Weird is to know that neither the game or the manual offer some story to give more detail.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 01:43 PM       
The writers must have been out to lunch.
Can't touch this
El Sammo is probably a spambot
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 04:59 PM       
Perhaps because the story sucks, so the longer you play the 'not-bad' game the less disappointed you'll be when you discover the sucky storyline?
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 05:30 AM       
I actually liked this game enough to play through it 3 times in a row. Okay, I didnīt pay the full price for it but still, itīs a nice little mediocre 3rd-Person Shooter. And when did someone care about a storyline in shooters? All I remember from Dark Sectorīs Story is something like this:

"*mumblemumbleINFECTEDmumbleMUTANTScoughwheezeGLAI VE*" Does it for me, donīt need to know more.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 08:12 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxBlood View Post
And when did someone care about a storyline in shooters?
I don't mind if the story is silly or cheesy, but when it's taking place and you aren't told anything about it, you feel like you walked in late on the game. Like everyone's in on what's going on except you. You see stuff like this all the time in games where the main character has amnesia, but even then, you are told that that's what happened to him/her.

Quote:
The gore level was pretty high, which led me to lots of exultant shouts of "oh my god, did you see that? I just cut his arm off while he was throwing a grenade from behind cover!" and the like.
Eh. You see outrageous stuff like that all the time in games, but even when it gets that kind of reaction from you, it still wears out after the first couple times. There was one sequence where zombies kept coming at me, so I would punch them, walk behind them, and break their backs. When you do that at least half a dozen times in a row, even the most brutal finisher starts to seem pretty dull.

Space Cowboy
Ozzie is probably a spambot
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 05:37 AM       
I really enjoyed this game. The gore level was pretty high, which led me to lots of exultant shouts of "oh my god, did you see that? I just cut his arm off while he was throwing a grenade from behind cover!" and the like. Granted, the storyline was pretty terrible, but the boss fights were pretty fun.

My only gripe was the online play. The online mode where one player is Hayden and the rest are faceless Russians is a good idea in theory, but in practice it seemed that every time I played it, someone lagged so horribly that I would get stabbed by someone who was literally half the screen away on my TV.
Retardedly Handsome
Icculus is probably a spambot
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 12:21 PM       
If the changed the name to Krull: Dark Sector I'd probably buy it.
Big Red Cat
Roggs is probably a spambot
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 09:09 PM       
I think it's inexcusable how little effort so many "bigtime" shooter, stategy, and adventure games have such weak stories. Don't get me wrong, I know there is a large number of gamers out there who would rather drink bleach from a dead hobo's ass than watch a video game cutscene, and to each his/her own. But for my $60, and the developers' months (if not years) of creation, why is it that they couldn't put more than 15 minutes of thought and effort into creating a good, fully-realized, original story?
Forum Virgin
Beaner85 is probably a spambot
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 05:31 PM       
Perhaps I am a little biased by the fact that I found this game for 4.98 at Target (weird right?!), but I got a lot more out of this game than Dead Space. Sure, the controls are a little too sensitive at first, but once the Glaive comes into play, the game shines. I played through twice, trying different weapon combos and what not, and found it to be pretty enjoyable.

The game does fall short in numerous areas, especially the ridiculous "linear" level layout. I was also peeved at the odd placement of "money"; some levels have numerous briefcases scattered throughout, while others literally have nothing. This was extremely frustrating, as I am the gamer who picks through each level with a fine-tooth comb. I did find an incredible number of upgrades, which can be traded for cash, but I didn't pick up on that until play-through #2.

Definitely worthy of the pickle score.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 05:51 PM       
I had loads of fun with this game. I thought it was very very pretty and the sound direction was coo.