Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cranberry Everything
dextire is probably a spambot
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 11:37 PM        Video Rental Stores Still Exist! (Until Today)
I don't know about the rest of you, but around here video rental stores have been long gone for quite a few years now. First it was the little mom & pop stores, then it was Hollywood Video, and then finally Blockbuster all went belly up. So you can imagine my surprise when a friend of mine told me that a Blockbuster Video about an hour away from me was just now closing it's doors for good. I decided to make the drive up there today and take a few pictures of this relic of the past.

The rumors were true. It did indeed exist. A real live video rental store in all it's faded, cracked logo glory.
Let's take a look at the wonders to behold inside.

There it is. I had forgotten that weird smell that all Blockbusters seemed to have. I guess it's the plastic from all of their custom made cases.
Those same cases proved to be really difficult to photograph, as they were incredibly shiny.

And they were indeed selling off everything. You could even buy the shelves.

They had them marked out (since they were for sale) but everything except new releases were 5 day rentals for .99 cents. A pretty great deal if you ask me.

Unfortunately the owner didn't like me taking pictures, so these few were all I managed to get. Why on earth he cared about me snapping a few photos of the last days of this store baffles me.

I did pick up a few things though.

These are backings that they put behind the DVDs so you knew where the movies would normally be if they weren't all rented out.
They are fairly thick cardboard and a little bigger than a DVD case. They serve as pretty nice mini posters.

It was very cool to see a video rental store again. Even if it was only for one day.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 09:17 AM       
I go to Family Video all the time, usually when Netflix pisses me off by dropping something from their library or doesn't have something available on the streaming plan. It used to be that Netflix had more of the fucked-up Japanese stuff I liked than a video store. Now the opposite is true, for some reason.

Also, our Family Video sends out free rental coupons all the time and they have all kinds of convoluted deals I don't entirely understand, so it's not uncommon to get five movies for five nights for $3 somehow. That's what I did with Fright Night and Sadako 3D.

In the last pic, Tales From the Darkside, The Movie...loved that movie. Debbie Harry! I also liked the orignal poster, which looked weirdly like a Gremlin holding a book. The TV show theme song scared the shit out of me as a kid, but I loved the movie once I was brave enough to watch it.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 10:40 AM       
I loved going to the video store because it was next to the liquor store.
I hate this hacker crap!
MarioRPG is probably a real personMarioRPG is probably a real person
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 10:49 AM       
I haven't seen a video store in years. The closest one was a Blockbuster, and now it's a sushi place. Although, similarly, when I saw one was closing down I bought a couple movies. Terminator, Drag Me To Hell and Last House on the Left all on blu ray for a total of $12

LOVE, YOUR FIJIAN HOST DAD
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 09:40 PM       
I RENTED "CABIN BOY" ABOUT 20 TIMES

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 11:06 AM       
did you get them pipes clean
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 11:35 PM       
Nice that you took photos of it before it was completely ransacked and shut down. How much were they selling the DVDs for anyway? There's still one Blockbuster a few miles away from me that I might go check out... if for no other reason than to stand in it one last time.

That said, there are still some really good independent video stores fighting the good fight to stay open. Cinefile in West LA is really fantastic, and they even have VHS stuff to this day.
Cranberry Everything
dextire is probably a spambot
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 10:53 AM       
Wow, around here even pawn shops don't have VHS anymore. It's either get lucky at a yard sale or flea market if you want instant gratification or buy online. DVDs and blu-rays were both $4.00 for ex-rentals and $20.00 for new.

Kitsa: I love the foreign poster where the gargoyle is reading the book with her arm around the mummy.

Last edited by dextire : Nov 10th, 2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Pic fixed
filthiest soap dish
Babs is probably a spambot
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 04:57 PM       
I go on this VHS horror community on shitty facebook to trade and sell, of course, horror VHS. I've actually got a lot of nice gems off there, they're always updating with stuff every minute of the day. Prices are always negotiable. Check it out, its worth a look at least
...Pause at the Beginning
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 01:50 PM       
There's a local video rental shop in town, but unfortunately I've never ventured into it. In the window there's a sign advertising tanning beds, so, um...
Unfunny Python Reference
Ex Leper is probably a real personEx Leper is probably a real person
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 09:48 PM       
We can still sell and trade for absurd prices with snobs on VHS trading groups on Facebook.